    fine again, voltage wise. It is like the unit is too sensitive. Any way
    for me to modify the parameters?

    Thank, Phil
    Phil Marshall, Jun 19, 2006

  2. Phil Marshall

    w_tom Guest

    First look at numbers. For example, 120 volt AC should not vary more
    than 5%. How low must voltage go before the UPS switches over to
    battery? 105 volts? 100 volts? That number provided in numerical
    specifications. A number well below what AC electric should dip (sag,
    brownout) to.

    Assuming above to be true, we then move on to why a short and
    excessive brownout. Or is line voltage even within range? A 3.5 digit
    volt meter would provide one useful fact (changes in light bulb
    intensity not discussed because you did not mention it and therefore is
    assumed not to change).

    Another classic source of bad voltage is how wall receptacles are
    wired. If you don't understand this, then maybe visit a local Home
    Depot, Lowes, Sears Hardware, etc to look at wall receptacles. They
    can be wired two ways. One is to attach wires to side mounted screws.
    Second is to push a wire into holes in receptacle rear. Those holes
    are sufficient for code. Intermittents created by backside push-in
    connectors do not interfere with electric motors and light bulbs and do
    not create human safety problems. But a circuit wired using push-in
    connectors can make strange electronic intermittent problems. That
    push in connector can be sufficient for code but cause voltage dips
    when something (motor, light bulb, etc) is turned on. This would then
    cause a UPS to switch to batteries - ie 120 volts drops below 105 for a
    short time - assuming 105 is the number from those specs.

    Above is just one of many possible reasons for intermittent low
    voltage. Inspect each wall receptacle from where UPS connects, through
    all other wall receptacles, back to and into breaker box. If wires
    are not wrapped around side mounted screws (inspect by only removing
    wall plate) and fully tightened, then correct that 'unacceptable for
    electronics' wiring.

    This assumes numbers from a meter report line voltage is correct AND
    that UPS is switching into battery backup mode only because line
    voltage intermittently drops. Then seek a reason for voltage drops.
    Only one reason is wall receptacles using back-stab wiring rather than
    wrapping wire firmly around side mount screws. Meter is necessary to
    first establish what is current line voltage and to observe how
    voltages change with both 'time of day' and with appliance power
    cycling. If your 120 volts is routinely at 110 volts (totally
    unacceptable), then UPS may switch to batteries too frequently. So
    many possibilities. So many possibilities eliminated as soon as
    numbers are provided from that meter and as numbers are provided from
    UPS numerical specifications. Then we know where to start inspections
    - where to inspect for a problem.

    w_tom, Jun 19, 2006

  3. Phil Marshall

    jo Guest

    On 19 Jun 2006 16:19:18 GMT, (Phil Marshall) wrote:

    >Hi:
    >
    >I have a UPS (battery back-up / surge protector) from APC
    >model Back-UPS RS 800. It's less than a year old, battery at 100%
    >
    >For the past month it has been tripping semi-frequently. It click-clicks
    >for a second. It seems to me like it is sensing a slight dip in the voltage
    >and goes the switch to back-up power, but then just as fast everything is
    >fine again, voltage wise. It is like the unit is too sensitive. Any way
    >for me to modify the parameters?

    Its doing what it is supposed to.
    jo, Jun 21, 2006
  4. Phil Marshall

    Pen Guest

    "Phil Marshall" <> wrote in
    message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have a UPS (battery back-up / surge
    > protector) from APC
    > model Back-UPS RS 800. It's less
    > than a year old, battery at 100%
    >
    > For the past month it has been
    > tripping semi-frequently. It
    > click-clicks
    > for a second. It seems to me like it
    > is sensing a slight dip in the voltage
    > and goes the switch to back-up power,
    > but then just as fast everything is
    > fine again, voltage wise. It is like
    > the unit is too sensitive. Any way
    > for me to modify the parameters?
    >
    > Thank, Phil

    The manual is found here;
    http://www.apcc.com/tools/mytools/index.cfm?action=searchum
    Pen, Jun 21, 2006
  5. (Phil Marshall) wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have a UPS (battery back-up / surge protector) from APC
    > model Back-UPS RS 800. It's less than a year old, battery at 100%
    >
    > For the past month it has been tripping semi-frequently. It click-clicks
    > for a second. It seems to me like it is sensing a slight dip in the
    > voltage and goes the switch to back-up power, but then just as fast
    > everything is fine again, voltage wise. It is like the unit is too
    > sensitive. Any way for me to modify the parameters?
    >
    > Thank, Phil

    Original poster here. Thanks for the replies. I adjusted the sensitivity
    on the unit, it didn't help. It keeps making this 'Clicking noise.'
    It's not 'Beeping' to indicate a problem, and none of the lights come
    on when this happens. It's driving me nuts :(
    Phil Marshall, Jun 22, 2006