Oversaturated flowers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Warren, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    Last weekend while out photographing waterfalls on the
    Atherton Tableland I saw some flowers that were fluorescing.
    I've never seen this effect before from natural objects.

    I took a picture not expecting the effect to show and it didn't. Here
    is the unchanged picture:

    http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/Flowers-Unedited.jpg

    and this is a simulation of what I saw:

    http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/Flowers-Simulated.jpg

    Extreme saturation with glowing blue/violet fringing.

    These flowers were in the shade but the sun was shining.

    Have other people seen this sort of thing?

    -Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Mike Warren

    Mark² Guest

    "Mike Warren" <> wrote in
    message news:4301ce41$0$47203$...
    > Last weekend while out photographing waterfalls on the
    > Atherton Tableland I saw some flowers that were fluorescing.
    > I've never seen this effect before from natural objects.
    >
    > I took a picture not expecting the effect to show and it didn't. Here
    > is the unchanged picture:
    >
    > http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/Flowers-Unedited.jpg
    >
    > and this is a simulation of what I saw:
    >
    > http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/Flowers-Simulated.jpg
    >
    > Extreme saturation with glowing blue/violet fringing.
    >
    > These flowers were in the shade but the sun was shining.
    >
    > Have other people seen this sort of thing?

    Ya, but only when I really...really...REALLY needed to get more sleep.
    :)
    That's interesting. I've seen some flower under strong light that did seem
    to glow, but not with purple fringing... Did you forget you had that
    inspector's black-light thingy in your pocket, perhaps?

    Mark², Aug 16, 2005

  3. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > That's interesting. I've seen some flower under strong light that
    > did seem to glow, but not with purple fringing... Did you forget you
    > had that inspector's black-light thingy in your pocket, perhaps?

    Doesn't everyone carry a black light when photographing waterfalls?

    -Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Mike Warren

    Mark² Guest

    "Mike Warren" <> wrote in
    message news:4301d23f$0$64002$...
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> That's interesting. I've seen some flower under strong light that
    >> did seem to glow, but not with purple fringing... Did you forget you
    >> had that inspector's black-light thingy in your pocket, perhaps?

    > Doesn't everyone carry a black light when photographing waterfalls?

    Only when looking for clues...

    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  5. Mike Warren

    Bill DeWitt Guest

    Mike Warren mentioned in passing :

    > Last weekend while out photographing waterfalls on the
    > Atherton Tableland I saw some flowers that were fluorescing.
    > I've never seen this effect before from natural objects.
    >
    > I took a picture not expecting the effect to show and it didn't. Here
    > is the unchanged picture:

    I don't know if this is related... but my lovely wife and I always wait
    for that special time of late afternoon when all the flowers seem to
    fluoresce. I have assumed that it was because the filtering of the
    atmosphere reduced the amount of available frequencies for the greenery to
    reflect, causing the flowers to seem to reflect more than their share of
    light.

    Perhaps water in the air near a waterfall has the same effect?

    Bill DeWitt, Aug 16, 2005
  6. Mike Warren

    salgud Guest

    Mike Warren wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    > > That's interesting. I've seen some flower under strong light that
    > > did seem to glow, but not with purple fringing... Did you forget you
    > > had that inspector's black-light thingy in your pocket, perhaps?

    > Doesn't everyone carry a black light when photographing waterfalls?
    >
    > -Mike

    Never leave home without it!

    What time of day was it when you took the pic?

    salgud, Aug 16, 2005
  7. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    salgud wrote:
    > Mike Warren wrote:
    >> Mark² wrote:
    >>> That's interesting. I've seen some flower under strong light that
    >>> did seem to glow, but not with purple fringing... Did you forget
    >>> you had that inspector's black-light thingy in your pocket, perhaps?

    >> Doesn't everyone carry a black light when photographing waterfalls?
    >>
    >> -Mike

    > Never leave home without it!
    >
    > What time of day was it when you took the pic?

    2:45PM

    -Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 16, 2005
  8. Mike Warren

    salgud Guest

    Mike Warren wrote:
    > salgud wrote:
    > > Mike Warren wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Doesn't everyone carry a black light when photographing waterfalls?
    > >>
    > >> -Mike

    > > Never leave home without it!
    > >
    > > What time of day was it when you took the pic?

    > 2:45PM
    >
    > -Mike

    Well, that blows my theory!

    salgud, Aug 16, 2005