    it shows 512 MB everywhere again. This poses the question: Does RAM get
    overheated and can stuff up? I've had this PC for like 3 years now with
    this problem NEVER occurring before. I'm hoping it's a one-off problem!

    Weirdo, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Weirdo wrote:
    > Last night my PC spontaneously rebooted. It had been on for about 36 hours.
    > At the reboot screen, it showed my RAM as being 476 MB instead of 512 MB.
    > When Windows had loaded, the Properties of My Computer also said 476 MB.
    > I shut down, opened the case, and reseated all the RAM chips. Upon reboot,
    > everything still showed only 476 MB of RAM, but the PC operated as normal.
    >
    > At bedtime I shut down the PC (instead of setting it Sleep). This morning,
    > it shows 512 MB everywhere again. This poses the question: Does RAM get
    > overheated and can stuff up? I've had this PC for like 3 years now with
    > this problem NEVER occurring before. I'm hoping it's a one-off problem!

    It might not be a bad idea to clean it up.After 3 yrs it may be getting
    clogged up.Overheating will cause your system to reboot.There may be
    several fans,video card,power supply,processor,case.Do you keep your
    machine on the desk or the floor? Keeping it up will reduce dirt.
    -max

    --
    To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    Virus cleaning +fixes see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/TechPros

    Max M.Wachtel III, Nov 21, 2004

  3. Weirdo

    Weirdo Guest

    Max M.Wachtel III wrote:

    > It might not be a bad idea to clean it up.After 3 yrs it may be
    > getting clogged up.Overheating will cause your system to reboot.There
    > may be several fans,video card,power supply,processor,case.Do you
    > keep your machine on the desk or the floor? Keeping it up will reduce
    > dirt.

    It's on the floor but it's always kept clean. The side panel of the case
    is kept unscrewed and I regularly open it and clean out any dust. Even
    when I opened it after yesterday's incident it was totally dust-free, which
    is why I wondered if overheating was the cause. I'll just have to shut it
    down instead of sleeping it at night, I think.

    Weirdo, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Weirdo

    Timberwolf Guest

    "Weirdo" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Max M.Wachtel III wrote:
    >
    >> It might not be a bad idea to clean it up.After 3 yrs it may be
    >> getting clogged up.Overheating will cause your system to reboot.There
    >> may be several fans,video card,power supply,processor,case.Do you
    >> keep your machine on the desk or the floor? Keeping it up will reduce
    >> dirt.

    > It's on the floor but it's always kept clean. The side panel of the case
    > is kept unscrewed and I regularly open it and clean out any dust. Even
    > when I opened it after yesterday's incident it was totally dust-free,
    > which
    > is why I wondered if overheating was the cause. I'll just have to shut it
    > down instead of sleeping it at night, I think.

    Consider this--everything has a working life.
    Do you leave the car running outside just incase you need it?
    Turning off when not in use (overnight) can only be a good thing--if only to
    save electricity and to remove a potential fire hazzard in the worst case
    scenario

    Timberwolf, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Weirdo

    Weirdo Guest

    Timberwolf wrote:

    > Do you leave the car running outside just incase you need it?

    Hehehe. :) But a car doesn't take 3 minutes to get going before you
    can use it (hence my preference to Sleep my PC, to save bootup times).

    > Turning off when not in use (overnight) can only be a good thing--if
    > only to save electricity and to remove a potential fire hazzard in
    > the worst case scenario

    Very true. Powering down will be my new practice.

    Weirdo, Nov 21, 2004
  6. Weirdo

    Poof Guest

    In article <>, "Weirdo" <> wrote:

    > Timberwolf wrote:
    >
    > > Do you leave the car running outside just incase you need it?

    > Hehehe. :) But a car doesn't take 3 minutes to get going before you
    > can use it (hence my preference to Sleep my PC, to save bootup times).

    Unless you're trying run your dad's old station wagon in the freezing
    winter. ;-)

    Poof, Nov 22, 2004
  7. Weirdo

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Timberwolf mused:

    | Consider this--everything has a working life.
    | Do you leave the car running outside just incase you need it?
    | Turning off when not in use (overnight) can only be a good thing--if only
    | to save electricity and to remove a potential fire hazzard in the worst
    | case scenario

    If petrol were as cheap as electricity, and cars as efficient as
    computers, you just might. Engine startup is the #1 cause of wear on the
    engine ... same for computers ... which is why many people chose to leave
    theirs on 24/7 rather than shutdown and restart them repeatedly throughout
    the day.

    mhicaoidh, Nov 22, 2004
  8. Weirdo

    Unknown Guest

    What ridiculous reasoning! The number one cause of engine wear is engine run
    time. Whether you realize it or not, every trasistor has a limited number of
    switching times. They actually wear out.

    Unknown, Nov 22, 2004
  9. Weirdo

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Unknown mused:

    | What ridiculous reasoning! The number one cause of engine wear is engine
    | run time.

    Engine startup causes the most damage because the lubricants are often
    drained down by gravity from the engine sitting idle. So, startup has the
    least amount of lubricant protection, and therefore the most amount of
    friction on the moving parts (pistons).

    | Whether you realize it or not, every trasistor has a limited
    | number of switching times. They actually wear out.

    What's a trasistor?

    mhicaoidh, Nov 24, 2004
  10. Weirdo

    filaret

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    What's the normal temperature of your RAM and is 34 Celsius too high? pls answer fast ( Everest puts this icon in black?)

    filaret, Apr 29, 2008