    It seems to me, how hard would it be to _say_ what the control keys are
    doing? "Select All. Now Cut. Go to the other window. Now Paste." Seems to me
    the person being instructed might learn a little more that way.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 13, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 13, 3:48 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > One voice instructing another. The first sentence I heard was "Press
    > Control-A. Now Control-C. And Delete." Followed by an instruction to close
    > that window and go to another one, and "Press Control-V".
    >
    > It seems to me, how hard would it be to _say_ what the control keys are
    > doing? "Select All. Now Cut. Go to the other window. Now Paste." Seems to me
    > the person being instructed might learn a little more that way.

    It would be a lot better if there were single keys for Ctrl-C and Ctrl-
    V since I need to do those hundreds of times per day.

    Matty F, Aug 13, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Me Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    >
    >> On Aug 13, 3:48 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>> One voice instructing another. The first sentence I heard was "Press
    >>> Control-A. Now Control-C. And Delete." Followed by an instruction to
    >>> close that window and go to another one, and "Press Control-V".
    >>>
    >>> It seems to me, how hard would it be to _say_ what the control keys are
    >>> doing? "Select All. Now Cut. Go to the other window. Now Paste." Seems to
    >>> me the person being instructed might learn a little more that way.

    >> It would be a lot better if there were single keys for Ctrl-C and Ctrl-
    >> V since I need to do those hundreds of times per day.

    > That's why I like the xorg way of "select text to put it in the clipboard"
    > and "middle click to paste".

    So what do you do when you want to select text then replace it with
    something already in the clipboard?

    Anyway, the biggest problem with the example given is that Control-X
    wasn't used. Using Control-C + delete key is adding to total entropy in
    the universe - shortening the duration that mankind may survive, and
    lessening the chance that we'll find the answer before we're extinct.

    Me, Aug 13, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > One voice instructing another. The first sentence I heard was "Press
    > Control-A. Now Control-C. And Delete." Followed by an instruction to close
    > that window and go to another one, and "Press Control-V".
    >
    > It seems to me, how hard would it be to _say_ what the control keys are
    > doing? "Select All. Now Cut. Go to the other window. Now Paste." Seems to me
    > the person being instructed might learn a little more that way.

    Perhaps the question was "Which keys do I use" ?

    victor, Aug 13, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 13, 6:54 pm, Allistar <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > > On Aug 13, 3:48 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> One voice instructing another. The first sentence I heard was "Press
    > >> Control-A. Now Control-C. And Delete." Followed by an instruction to
    > >> close that window and go to another one, and "Press Control-V".

    > >> It seems to me, how hard would it be to _say_ what the control keys are
    > >> doing? "Select All. Now Cut. Go to the other window. Now Paste." Seems to
    > >> me the person being instructed might learn a little more that way.

    > > It would be a lot better if there were single keys for Ctrl-C and Ctrl-
    > > V since I need to do those hundreds of times per day.

    > That's why I like the xorg way of "select text to put it in the clipboard"
    > and "middle click to paste".

    When I wrote an editor many years ago, as well as Copy and Paste I had
    an Add to Clipboard function. So I could grab any number of pieces of
    text and paste the lot in one go. Very handy when making up a file
    names.

    Matty F, Aug 13, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Carnations Guest

    On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 20:35:07 +1200, Me wrote:

    > So what do you do when you want to select text then replace it with
    > something already in the clipboard?

    Select the item on the clipboard you want to use to replace the selected text and then hit Control-V.

    Simple.

    After all, by default the clipboard in KDE has 7 clipboard entries and you can expand that in the settings to many
    hundreds of items on the clipboard.

    And you can also set the clipboard to save the clipboard contents when you logout, so that you have it available to
    you when you next login.

    Carnations, Aug 15, 2009