    flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
    Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
    macro flash? Thanks
    Jason K. Lambrou, Jan 23, 2005

  2. Jason K. Lambrou wrote:
    > I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
    > I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
    > flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
    > Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
    > macro flash? Thanks

    There are all kinds of possible things you may do. I don't know the
    flash well, but is it working in an auto mode? Does it have a manual mode.
    If auto is it working through the camera? Have you tried the same flash
    with another lens at more normal distances?

    Have you tried manual exposure with adjustments to see if you manually
    adjust the exposure?

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Jan 23, 2005

  3. Jason K. Lambrou

    Charles Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:58:30 GMT, "Jason K. Lambrou"
    <> wrote:

    >I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
    >I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
    >flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
    >Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
    >macro flash? Thanks

    Try an MD filter on the lens.

    My Nikon 990 overexposed in macro. I guessed that it was not a
    problem of not sensing the light properly, but a problem of turning
    the flash off fast enough when it had enough.

    The ND seemed to work okay, but I was using the built in flash and the
    flash being off to the side of the lens gave uneven illumination.

    An other thing to try, put something over the flash to obscure part of
    the light.
    --
    Charles

    Does not play well with others.
    Charles, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Jason K. Lambrou

    Deep Reset Guest

    "Jason K. Lambrou" <> wrote in message
    >I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
    > I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
    > flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
    > Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
    > macro flash? Thanks

    Stop down?
    ND?
    Deep Reset, Jan 23, 2005
  5. Jason K. Lambrou

    Stacey Guest

    Jason K. Lambrou wrote:

    > I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
    > I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
    > flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.

    There is no way to adjust the flash output in the camera menus?

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Jan 23, 2005
  6. Jason K. Lambrou

    paul Guest

    Macro seems to be much more sensitive to over/under exposure; everything
    is magnified. Do you have an exposure compensation setting? Just try
    turning it down a notch when using this technique though as I said it
    may quickly become underexposed.

    paul, Jan 23, 2005
  7. Jason K. Lambrou

    Tony Guest

    How about cutting down the exposure by stopping down the lens? Use the
    exposure compensation dial, Luke!

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Jan 23, 2005
  8. Tony wrote:
    > How about cutting down the exposure by stopping down the lens? Use the
    > exposure compensation dial, Luke!

    Thanks guys for answering my post,the only thing I have not tried is an
    ND,the lens stops down to f8 that is it.Also you cannot change the lens
    on this camera.This flash is automatic,I guess the electronics of this
    camera can't communicate with the flash
    Jason K. Lambrou, Jan 24, 2005
  9. Jason K. Lambrou

    Mike Engles Guest

    Jason K. Lambrou wrote:

    > I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
    > I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
    > flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
    > Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
    > macro flash? Thanks

    Hello
    The problem with auto flash and macro is that the sensor is trying to
    expose also for the background. It's field is too wide.

    The solution is to either apply exposure compensation of about -1and 1/3
    stops or to work in manual and calibrate the system by doing test
    exposures at different apertures.

    This is what I did with my OM4 macro system. Exposure compensation
    worked on flash as well as ambient light.

    Mike Engles
    Mike Engles, Jan 24, 2005
  10. Mike Engles wrote:
    > Jason K. Lambrou wrote:
    >
    >>I own a Minolta Dimage 7Hi and a Vivitar 6000AF Ring flash
    >>I bought for the Minolta Maxxum Film cameras.I tried the same
    >>flash with the Dimage 7Hi but all the pictures are overexposed.
    >>Is there anything I can do about it short of getting another
    >>macro flash? Thanks

    > Hello
    > The problem with auto flash and macro is that the sensor is trying to
    > expose also for the background. It's field is too wide.
    >
    > The solution is to either apply exposure compensation of about -1and 1/3
    > stops or to work in manual and calibrate the system by doing test
    > exposures at different apertures.
    >
    > This is what I did with my OM4 macro system. Exposure compensation
    > worked on flash as well as ambient light.
    >
    > Mike Engles

    Thanks
    Jason K. Lambrou, Jan 24, 2005