OverClocking for the first time

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Saddles, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Saddles

    Saddles Guest

    I'm a first time overclocker. My motherboard is an Aopen Ax4B. I got my
    FSB up from 100 to 114 carrying my clock speed from 1800 to 2056 with no
    extra cooling needed. If I concentrate real hard, I can see a performance
    difference.

    But there are two things I want to confirm. Over 2056 my onboard sound card
    cuts out. Is there really no way around this but to buy a sound card that
    can handle it?

    Secondly, I downloaded Motherboard Monitor and associated the sensors.
    MotherBoard Monitor didn't have my motherboard listed in the wizard so it
    couldn't enter data for my motherboard automatically. In the Bios the CPU
    temperature is constantly about 40C but none of the MotherBoard Monitor
    sensors tallies with this. They read 35C, 70C and 64C and I think these are
    the only three heat sensor chips on the motherboard. The one which I'm
    guessing is the CPU sensor reads 64C and this is way over what one would
    want it to be. Which one is correct? How do I get it to read correcly?
    How do I know which sensor is the CPU temperature sensor.

    Thanks for any help

    MM

    Saddles, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Saddles

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:34:30 -0500, "Saddles" <>
    scribbled:

    >How do I get it to read correcly?

    Stop overclocking?

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Saddles

    Saddles Guest

    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:34:30 -0500, "Saddles" > scribbled:
    >
    > >How do I get it to read correcly?

    > Stop overclocking?

    But I just got started! True, I'm doing it for the same reason everybody
    does it: because I can, and because I'm on vacation, and because I can risk
    my CPU, and because Leo Laporte saying it's OK. I admitted I was a newbie
    and I just know that you spotted the fact that I hadn't even munged my
    email. But gimme a break here. The reason I'm soundin like this is that
    I'm 52 years old and my hair is grey. I'm doing things to keep my brain
    alive. Any help, pointers? Hints, even?

    MM

    Saddles, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Saddles

    ICee Guest

    Saddles wrote:
    > I'm a first time overclocker. My motherboard is an Aopen Ax4B. I
    > got my FSB up from 100 to 114 carrying my clock speed from 1800 to
    > 2056 with no extra cooling needed. If I concentrate real hard, I can
    > see a performance difference.
    >
    > But there are two things I want to confirm. Over 2056 my onboard
    > sound card cuts out. Is there really no way around this but to buy a
    > sound card that can handle it?

    The problem is that when you increase the FSB, you are also increasing
    the PCI bus that the audio card (and any other peripheral, including the
    disk drive) uses. The PCI bus is 1/3 the speed of the FSB or 33 MHz at
    100 MHz FSB. By raising the FSB to 114 MHz, you are raising the PCI bus
    to 38 MHz; 5 MHz out of spec and is high enough to cause damage to your
    disk drive.

    > Secondly, I downloaded Motherboard Monitor and associated the sensors.
    > MotherBoard Monitor didn't have my motherboard listed in the wizard
    > so it couldn't enter data for my motherboard automatically. In the
    > Bios the CPU temperature is constantly about 40C but none of the
    > MotherBoard Monitor sensors tallies with this. They read 35C, 70C
    > and 64C and I think these are the only three heat sensor chips on the
    > motherboard. The one which I'm guessing is the CPU sensor reads 64C
    > and this is way over what one would want it to be. Which one is
    > correct? How do I get it to read correcly? How do I know which
    > sensor is the CPU temperature sensor.
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > MM

    Suggest that you do not overclock with your system, especially due to
    PCI bus running so far out of spec.

    ICee, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Saddles

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:45:33 -0500, "Saddles"
    <mymungeis_memarks_ot_coralwave_ot_com> scribbled:

    >> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:34:30 -0500, "Saddles" > scribbled:
    >>
    >> >How do I get it to read correcly?

    >> Stop overclocking?
    >>

    >But I just got started! True, I'm doing it for the same reason everybody
    >does it: because I can, and because I'm on vacation, and because I can risk
    >my CPU, and because Leo Laporte saying it's OK. I admitted I was a newbie
    >and I just know that you spotted the fact that I hadn't even munged my
    >email. But gimme a break here. The reason I'm soundin like this is that
    >I'm 52 years old and my hair is grey. I'm doing things to keep my brain
    >alive. Any help, pointers? Hints, even?

    Take up photography.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Saddles

    Bryan Guest

    "-= Hawk =-" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:45:33 -0500, "Saddles"
    > <mymungeis_memarks_ot_coralwave_ot_com> scribbled:
    >
    >>> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:34:30 -0500, "Saddles" > scribbled:

    >>> Stop overclocking?
    >>>

    >> But I just got started! True, I'm doing it for the same reason
    >> everybody does it: because I can, and because I'm on vacation, and
    >> because I can risk my CPU, and because Leo Laporte saying it's OK.
    >> I admitted I was a newbie and I just know that you spotted the
    >> fact that I hadn't even munged my email. But gimme a break here.
    >> The reason I'm soundin like this is that I'm 52 years old and my
    >> hair is grey. I'm doing things to keep my brain alive. Any help,
    >> pointers? Hints, even?

    > Take up photography.

    <nods> Good advice, that.

    Bryan, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Saddles

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:57:32 -0000, "Bryan" <>
    scribbled:

    >"-= Hawk =-" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:45:33 -0500, "Saddles"
    >> <mymungeis_memarks_ot_coralwave_ot_com> scribbled:

    >>> But I just got started! True, I'm doing it for the same reason
    >>> everybody does it: because I can, and because I'm on vacation, and
    >>> because I can risk my CPU, and because Leo Laporte saying it's OK.
    >>> I admitted I was a newbie and I just know that you spotted the
    >>> fact that I hadn't even munged my email. But gimme a break here.
    >>> The reason I'm soundin like this is that I'm 52 years old and my
    >>> hair is grey. I'm doing things to keep my brain alive. Any help,
    >>> pointers? Hints, even?

    >> Take up photography.

    ><nods> Good advice, that.

    Especially with this new batch of 10x+ super zoom cameras
    coming out.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Saddles

    Bryan Guest

    "-= Hawk =-" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:57:32 -0000, "Bryan" <>
    > scribbled:
    >
    >> "-= Hawk =-" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:45:33 -0500, "Saddles"
    >>> <mymungeis_memarks_ot_coralwave_ot_com> scribbled:

    >>> Take up photography.

    >> <nods> Good advice, that.

    > Especially with this new batch of 10x+ super zoom cameras
    > coming out.

    Christ, yes! I'll just have to see what Santa brings me! ;)

    --
    I'll be dumping the Nikon F4s if...

    Bryan, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Saddles

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Saddles posted ...

    > I'm a first time overclocker. My motherboard is an Aopen Ax4B. I
    > got my FSB up from 100 to 114 carrying my clock speed from 1800 to
    > 2056 with no extra cooling needed. If I concentrate real hard, I can
    > see a performance difference.

    Probably nopt worth o/c'ing too far then ...

    > But there are two things I want to confirm. Over 2056 my onboard
    > sound card cuts out. Is there really no way around this but to buy a
    > sound card that can handle it?

    No, other than not o/c'ing ..

    > The one which I'm guessing is the CPU sensor reads 64C
    > and this is way over what one would want it to be. Which one is
    > correct?

    RTFM

    > How do I get it to read correcly?

    Get a Monitor that _is_ compatible ..

    > How do I know which
    > sensor is the CPU temperature sensor.

    RTFM

    See Hawks' most excellent advice .. ;)

    --
    Paul

    Paul - xxx, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Saddles

    Saddles Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Saddles wrote:
    > > I'm a first time overclocker. My motherboard is an Aopen Ax4B. I
    > > got my FSB up from 100 to 114 carrying my clock speed from 1800 to
    > > 2056 with no extra cooling needed. If I concentrate real hard, I can
    > > see a performance difference.
    > >
    > > But there are two things I want to confirm. Over 2056 my onboard
    > > sound card cuts out. Is there really no way around this but to buy a
    > > sound card that can handle it?

    > The problem is that when you increase the FSB, you are also increasing
    > the PCI bus that the audio card (and any other peripheral, including the
    > disk drive) uses. The PCI bus is 1/3 the speed of the FSB or 33 MHz at
    > 100 MHz FSB. By raising the FSB to 114 MHz, you are raising the PCI bus
    > to 38 MHz; 5 MHz out of spec and is high enough to cause damage to your
    > disk drive.
    >

    > > Secondly, I downloaded Motherboard Monitor and associated the sensors.
    > > MotherBoard Monitor didn't have my motherboard listed in the wizard
    > > so it couldn't enter data for my motherboard automatically. In the
    > > Bios the CPU temperature is constantly about 40C but none of the
    > > MotherBoard Monitor sensors tallies with this. They read 35C, 70C
    > > and 64C and I think these are the only three heat sensor chips on the
    > > motherboard. The one which I'm guessing is the CPU sensor reads 64C
    > > and this is way over what one would want it to be. Which one is
    > > correct? How do I get it to read correcly? How do I know which
    > > sensor is the CPU temperature sensor.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help
    > >
    > > MM

    > Suggest that you do not overclock with your system, especially due to
    > PCI bus running so far out of spec.

    Thanks Icee. I understood about the FSB changed being across-the-board. I
    didn't know that a PCI buss speed of 38MHz was enough to damage my disk
    drive. OK I'll put it back to where it was and leave overclocking to you
    guys.

    Photography, huh? OK, I'd try that, but my eye-sight's failing. (Thanks
    Hawk and Bryan, I know you were trying to say the same thing)

    Who am I fooling. Between the previous paragraph and this one, I just read
    up 20 more pages on this topic. I'm just curious. I'll set it back for
    now, but I'll be baaaackk.

    MM

    Saddles, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Saddles

    Saddles Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    > > How do I know which
    > > sensor is the CPU temperature sensor.

    > RTFM
    >
    > See Hawks' most excellent advice .. ;)
    >
    > --
    > Paul

    OK, Ok, I'll go read it. Thanks all.

    Saddles, Dec 23, 2003
  12. Saddles

    ICee Guest

    Saddles wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Saddles wrote:
    >>> I'm a first time overclocker. My motherboard is an Aopen Ax4B. I
    >>> got my FSB up from 100 to 114 carrying my clock speed from 1800 to
    >>> 2056 with no extra cooling needed. If I concentrate real hard, I
    >>> can see a performance difference.
    >>>
    >>> But there are two things I want to confirm. Over 2056 my onboard
    >>> sound card cuts out. Is there really no way around this but to buy
    >>> a sound card that can handle it?

    >> The problem is that when you increase the FSB, you are also
    >> increasing the PCI bus that the audio card (and any other
    >> peripheral, including the disk drive) uses. The PCI bus is 1/3 the
    >> speed of the FSB or 33 MHz at 100 MHz FSB. By raising the FSB to
    >> 114 MHz, you are raising the PCI bus to 38 MHz; 5 MHz out of spec
    >> and is high enough to cause damage to your disk drive.
    >>

    >>> Secondly, I downloaded Motherboard Monitor and associated the
    >>> sensors. MotherBoard Monitor didn't have my motherboard listed in
    >>> the wizard so it couldn't enter data for my motherboard
    >>> automatically. In the Bios the CPU temperature is constantly about
    >>> 40C but none of the MotherBoard Monitor sensors tallies with this.
    >>> They read 35C, 70C and 64C and I think these are the only three
    >>> heat sensor chips on the motherboard. The one which I'm guessing
    >>> is the CPU sensor reads 64C and this is way over what one would
    >>> want it to be. Which one is correct? How do I get it to read
    >>> correcly? How do I know which sensor is the CPU temperature sensor.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help
    >>>
    >>> MM

    >> Suggest that you do not overclock with your system, especially due to
    >> PCI bus running so far out of spec.
    >>

    > Thanks Icee. I understood about the FSB changed being
    > across-the-board. I didn't know that a PCI buss speed of 38MHz was
    > enough to damage my disk drive. OK I'll put it back to where it was
    > and leave overclocking to you guys.
    >
    > Photography, huh? OK, I'd try that, but my eye-sight's failing.
    > (Thanks Hawk and Bryan, I know you were trying to say the same thing)
    >
    > Who am I fooling. Between the previous paragraph and this one, I
    > just read up 20 more pages on this topic. I'm just curious. I'll
    > set it back for now, but I'll be baaaackk.
    >
    > MM

    Because you were talking about a 100 MHz FSB, I assumed (bad thing to
    do) you had an older MB, but I see that the AX4B is a current Intel 133
    MHz FSB MB.
    Don't know what CPU you have; perhaps a Celeron that uses 100 MHz FSB?
    (not familiar with newer Intel systems. Am a AMD man myself).

    Ask your question with more info, such as CPU, in these NG's:

    alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen

    ICee, Dec 23, 2003
  13. Saddles

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Saddles posted ...

    > "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    >>> How do I know which
    >>> sensor is the CPU temperature sensor.

    >> RTFM
    >>
    >> See Hawks' most excellent advice .. ;)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Paul

    > OK, Ok, I'll go read it. Thanks all.

    Heheheh ... Have a look here. If you want to have a go at overclocking then
    you may need to get a decent motherboard and peripherals that will withstand
    it .. ;)

    http://www.overclocked-hardware.com/
    http://www.overclockers.com/

    --
    Paul

    Paul - xxx, Dec 23, 2003
  14. Saddles

    lyon_wonder Guest

    >I'm a first time overclocker. My motherboard is an Aopen Ax4B. I got my FSB up from 100 to 114 carrying my clock speed from 1800 to 2056 with no extra cooling needed.

    I have the exact some board you have and have been running a retail P4
    2.4A at 2.80GHz for over a month now at 117MHz FSB (can even get it to
    run stable at 3.0Ghz, but chose to back off to 2.8). I had to change
    the ratio for my Crucial PC2100 DDR from the default 133Mhz 4/3 ratio
    to a synchronous 1/1 ratio, which is running at the same speed as the
    FSB. The intel 845 series chipsets lock the PCI/AGP speed at 33/66MHz
    regardless of FSB frequency. Trust the CPU temp reported in the Bios
    and only use the Hardware Monitor utility that AOpen supplied on their
    driver CD that came with your mainboard (other utilities give
    exaggerated CPU temp on this board regardless of clockspeed, and I'm
    not the only user of this board who has confirmed this). You can also
    enable a PC Heath watch timer in the bios to warn you if the CPU temp
    is higher than a specified amount. Also, update your bios to the
    latest version at http://english.aopen.com.tw/
    Is your P4 a Willamette 256k or one of the newer Northwoods 512k. If
    your p4 is a Northwood, it should say 1.8A instead of just 1.8. You
    can download the CPUZ CPU id utility from http://www.cpuid.com/ to
    find out which version of p4 you have. The Northwoods can overclock
    way better than the Willamettes (and a Northwood 1.8A can get up to
    2.4GHz at 133MHz easily with stock cooling and default voltage, though
    you may have to change your DDR RAM ratio to DDR200 speeds). If your
    P4 is a Willamette, around 2.1GHz is probably the limit your CPU can
    reach since the fastest Willamette Intel ever came out with was
    2.0GHz.

    lyon_wonder, Dec 24, 2003