    Gigabyte provide EasyTune 4 software for overclocking.

    Has anyone any experience of overclocking this particular CPU and what
    sort of results did you get?
    Lindsay Rollo, Jan 29, 2007

  2. On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:25:21 +1300, Lindsay Rollo
    <> wrote:

    >This CPU runs at 1.54GHz by default. It's mountd on a Gigabyte
    >7VM400m-RZ motherboard.
    >
    >Gigabyte provide EasyTune 4 software for overclocking.
    >
    >Has anyone any experience of overclocking this particular CPU and what
    >sort of results did you get?

    It depends on what revision of the 1800+ you have.

    I got one of the latest ones (the core name escapes me) but it was
    multiplier unlocked.

    I could squeeze 2200+ performance out of it by overclocking it to
    1.8Ghz on a 177Mhz bus and 10x multiplier using a stock standard
    cooler.

    Go to www.overclockers.com and see what other people have managed to
    achieve.
    Jason Clinton, Jan 29, 2007

  3. Lindsay Rollo

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jason Clinton wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:25:21 +1300, Lindsay Rollo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > This CPU runs at 1.54GHz by default. It's mountd on a Gigabyte
    > > 7VM400m-RZ motherboard.
    > >
    > > Gigabyte provide EasyTune 4 software for overclocking.
    > >
    > > Has anyone any experience of overclocking this particular CPU and
    > > what sort of results did you get?

    > It depends on what revision of the 1800+ you have.

    There were three XP1800+ versions made. Palamino, Thoroughbred A and T'bred
    B.

    > I got one of the latest ones (the core name escapes me) but it was
    > multiplier unlocked.

    I believe that would have been either of the T'breds then.

    > I could squeeze 2200+ performance out of it by overclocking it to
    > 1.8Ghz on a 177Mhz bus and 10x multiplier using a stock standard
    > cooler.

    Sounds like the T'bred A then. They were nowhere near as OC-able as the B's.
    The B's had an extra layer of metal incorporated into the cores to reduce
    current leakage and allow faster speeds.

    Palaminos you could get around a 15% OC but they got really hot. T'bred A's
    would often do 25%. Tbred B's have been known to go as far as 50%. (All
    quotes on air cooling)

    I have a T'bred B JUIHB (XP1800+) and it will run at 2GHz easilly at stock
    vcore. And that's not just any old 2GHz, that's 10 x 200MHz FSB, around 15%
    more grunty than the 12 x 166MHz (2GHz) XP2400+ model. FSB is very much more
    important than pure CPU speed when it comes to performance.

    Note that I stated stock vcore, therefore running nice and cool on air. I
    used to use the standard HSF but aquired a better and one so saw no reason
    to not fit it. Even though it wasn't really needed, it dropped core temp by
    around 7°C. That's always good.

    If I want to increase the vcore I can get it to do 2.2GHz with the (still
    fairly simple, Copper plate, alloy fins, 80mm fan) aftermarket cooler.
    However, it needs around 1.775V vcore to do that stably and runs in the mid
    60's Celcius at 100% load. I'm not comfortable with that (although I know
    others who would be).

    I'm happy running it at 2GHz and idling at 35°C core temp, reaching around
    47°C at 100% load.

    Short story; If it's a Palomino it's not worth trying to OC. If it's a
    T'bred A you'll get a bit more out of it if you squeeze it. If it's T'bred B
    then, depending on the core, you could get a 50% OC.

    I used to have a Palamino myself but, when the Tbred B's first came out, I
    bought one at OEM computers at Manukau and sold my Palomino on Trademe for
    $7 more than the new T'bred cost. LOL.

    If you don't know what model it is, Google the numbers on it or install a
    programme like Aida 32 or run CPU-Z.

    > Go to www.overclockers.com and see what other people have managed to
    > achieve.

    Probably a good idea. I haven't looked there for years.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 29, 2007