    One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently, it
    eats up band width.
    Joy
    Joy, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Joy

    Shane Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over our
    > limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have personally found
    > ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for assistance and their downtime
    > has not bothered me over the past two years that we've been with them.
    > How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed at
    > off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
    > How do others manage this, any ideas?
    > One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently, it
    > eats up band width.
    > Joy

    nz.comp helpdesk, thank you for you query.

    I note that you are using windows, overnight downloading is possibly
    achieved with the scheduling function available with windows
    http://www.iopus.com/guides/winscheduler.htm

    Another option is to configure your download application to only use
    bandwidth during 2am - 10am

    I recall you also had something to do with linux, cron and at come to the
    rescue in much the same way as windows schedular.

    Again another option is to setup the download application of your choice to
    only download during off peak times
    Shane, Jan 26, 2007

  3. Joy

    Stuart Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message
    > How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed at
    > off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.

    If you're downloading from bittorrent, many clients offer scheduled
    downloading, which you can use to effectively put the clients to sleep until
    a certain hour. My client of choice is http://www.utorrent.com -- it's
    scheduler is simple and easy to use.

    If you're downloading stuff from the Web, Free Download Manager
    (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org) is pretty configurable to do the same.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Jan 26, 2007
  4. Joy

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Joy wrote:
    > The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over our limit
    > two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have personally found ihug to
    > be most responsive to my pleas for assistance and their downtime has not
    > bothered me over the past two years that we've been with them.
    > How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed at
    > off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
    > How do others manage this, any ideas?
    > One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently, it
    > eats up band width.

    Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
    back later.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 26, 2007
  5. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > Joy wrote:
    >
    >> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over our
    >> limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have personally found
    >> ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for assistance and their downtime
    >> has not bothered me over the past two years that we've been with them.
    >> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed
    >> at
    >> off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
    >> How do others manage this, any ideas?
    >> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently, it
    >> eats up band width.
    >> Joy

    > nz.comp helpdesk, thank you for you query.
    >
    > I note that you are using windows, overnight downloading is possibly
    > achieved with the scheduling function available with windows
    > http://www.iopus.com/guides/winscheduler.htm
    >
    > Another option is to configure your download application to only use
    > bandwidth during 2am - 10am
    >
    > I recall you also had something to do with linux, cron and at come to the
    > rescue in much the same way as windows schedular.
    >
    > Again another option is to setup the download application of your choice
    > only download during off peak times

    Thanks helpdesk, you are as good as those at ihug.
    Helpdesk people deserve medals and a decent raise.
    Joy
    Joy, Jan 26, 2007
  6. Joy

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Joy wrote:
    >> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over our
    >> limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have personally found
    >> ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for assistance and their downtime
    >> has not bothered me over the past two years that we've been with them.
    >> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed
    >> at off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
    >> How do others manage this, any ideas?
    >> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently, it
    >> eats up band width.

    > Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
    > back later.

    Buy a $5 fm radio...
    Craig Sutton, Jan 26, 2007
  7. Joy

    Rob S Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >> Joy wrote:
    >>> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over
    >>> our limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have
    >>> personally found ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for
    >>> assistance and their downtime has not bothered me over the past two
    >>> years that we've been with them.
    >>> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in
    >>> bed at off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
    >>> How do others manage this, any ideas?
    >>> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but
    >>> apparently, it eats up band width.

    >> Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
    >> back later.

    > Buy a $5 fm radio...

    That would save heaps. Streaming music could easily use 1Mb minute or
    more, depending on the bitrate being streamed.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Historically speaking, the presence of wheels in Unix has never
    precluded their reinvention. - Larry Wall
    Rob S, Jan 26, 2007
  8. Joy

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >> Joy wrote:
    >>> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over
    >>> our limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have
    >>> personally found ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for
    >>> assistance and their downtime has not bothered me over the past two
    >>> years that we've been with them.
    >>> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in
    >>> bed at off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
    >>> How do others manage this, any ideas?
    >>> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but
    >>> apparently, it eats up band width.

    >> Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
    >> back later.

    > Buy a $5 fm radio...

    Year but most NZ radio stations are just crap! to steel a phrase from
    the one! well here in Hamilton Auckland was not much better I find some
    of the very little provincial stations are rather cool.

    Robert Cooze, Jan 26, 2007
  9. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message

    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >> Joy wrote:
    >>> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over our
    >>> limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have personally
    >>> found ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for assistance and their
    >>> downtime has not bothered me over the past two years that we've been
    >>> with them.
    >>> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed
    >>> at off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
    >>> How do others manage this, any ideas?
    >>> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently,
    >>> it eats up band width.

    >> Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
    >> back later.

    > Buy a $5 fm radio...

    Some overseas radio stations play really cool music which we don't hear much
    on local.
    Joy
    Joy, Jan 26, 2007
  10. Joy

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >> "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play
    >>> it back later.

    >> Buy a $5 fm radio...

    > That would save heaps. Streaming music could easily use 1Mb minute or
    > more, depending on the bitrate being streamed.

    Could equally suggest the OP could go back to using pen and paper, buy a
    newspaper instead of using a web browser, etc. Just what is the point of
    having broadband if you don't use it?

    The OP was clearly interested in streaming radio; the range of excellent
    music and other programming (with almost no advertising) is amazing. I
    listen to almost nothing else (apart from podcasts).
    -=rjh=-, Jan 26, 2007
  11. Joy

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >> Joy wrote:
    >>> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over
    >>> our limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have
    >>> personally found ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for
    >>> assistance and their downtime has not bothered me over the past two
    >>> years that we've been with them.
    >>> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in
    >>> bed at off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
    >>> How do others manage this, any ideas?
    >>> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but
    >>> apparently, it eats up band width.

    >> Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
    >> back later.

    > Buy a $5 fm radio...

    That is a very Rogeresque comment...
    -=rjh=-, Jan 26, 2007
  12. Joy

    Enkidu Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > Thanks helpdesk, you are as good as those at ihug.
    > Helpdesk people deserve medals and a decent raise.

    What for? They'd only try to eat the medals and money is wasted on them.
    Their companies will have paid for their lobotomies so paying them is
    superfluous.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Jan 26, 2007
  13. Joy

    Nho Whei Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:32:33 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >"-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >> Joy wrote:
    >>> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over our
    >>> limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have personally found
    >>> ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for assistance and their downtime
    >>> has not bothered me over the past two years that we've been with them.
    >>> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed
    >>> at off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
    >>> How do others manage this, any ideas?
    >>> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently, it
    >>> eats up band width.

    >> Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
    >> back later.

    >Buy a $5 fm radio...

    FM Radio in these islands is an effin disgrace. Shite masquerading as
    crap most of the time.
    Save the $5 - put it towards NetTransport, and schedule your streaming
    audio downloads at times to suit for playback whenever.
    Nho Whei, Jan 27, 2007
  14. In message <>, Nho Whei wrote:

    > FM Radio in these islands is an effin disgrace. Shite masquerading as
    > crap most of the time.

    I quite like George FM. An eclectic range of programs covering hip-hop,
    jazz, dance, funk, soul and who knows what else. Auckland-based, but
    they've got transmitters in cities around the country. Not in stereo (at
    least, not here in the Waikato), but you can't have everything. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 27, 2007
  15. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "Nho Whei" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:32:33 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
    >>> back later.

    >>Buy a $5 fm radio...

    > FM Radio in these islands is an effin disgrace. Shite masquerading as
    > crap most of the time.
    > Save the $5 - put it towards NetTransport, and schedule your streaming
    > audio downloads at times to suit for playback whenever.

    I haven't looked at download managers before, why do you think NetTransport
    is better than the free alternatives?
    Joy
    Joy, Jan 27, 2007
  16. Joy

    Shane Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I quite like George FM. An eclectic range of programs covering hip-hop,
    > jazz, dance, funk, soul and who knows what else. Auckland-based, but
    > they've got transmitters in cities around the country. Not in stereo (at
    > least, not here in the Waikato), but you can't have everything. :)

    They do have at least one transmitter in Hamilton. Its a low powered
    transmitter, and doesnt cover the entire city.
    From memory the freq. is 107.3
    Shane, Jan 27, 2007