    give this qualification a go.

    Thanks guys,

    Adam
    Seth, May 12, 2004

  2. Seth

    JaR Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:49:40 +1000, Seth extemporised:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I will start by saying I feel I am competent with Win2K, from general use.
    > So I am looking at becoming MCSA in Win2K.
    > I have 5 years of IT behind me, general break and fix and troubleshooting
    > window faults of all kind. Don't really have any experience when it comes to
    > implementing, troubleshooting, maintaining the network side of things but I
    > do think I would find my way around this area ok.
    >
    > My question is, is a self study, own paced via skillsoft.com MCSA
    > certification out of the question?
    >
    > Dedication is not a problem as I believe it is almost necessary for me to
    > give this qualification a go.
    >
    > Thanks guys,

    I don't know what you mean when you say you have 5 years of IT, but self
    study is definitely possible. In fact I highly recommend it for the
    disciplined individual. Get the books, (Sybex is good) set up a home lab
    with some old inexpensive boxes, and go for it. You could also invest
    in VMWare to simulate a network. Most trainers and training sites are
    nothing but a rip-off.[1]

    Good luck

    [1] Apologies to the reputable trainers out there, and Neil ;-)

    JaR
    MCNGP 22
    JaR, May 12, 2004

  3. Seth

    SJ Guest

    I agree with a lot of what JaR says (except MOST trainers and training
    sites are a ripoff).

    Many people learn differently but if you can learn through self-study,
    excellent. For the MCSA track, I agree that the Sybex books are
    great.

    I teach at a College, at a University and at Microsoft Certified
    Technical Education Centers (CTECs). I have students that I recognize
    could easily learn this without the discipline that a classroom
    environment provides. Others thrive in a College/University classroom
    setting. Professionals working in the field do great in a 40 hour 9-5
    class setting. Many students have problems in different venues, but
    can be helped through to success. For myself, it's been a long time
    since I've sat in a class specifically to learn a product; self-study
    is preferable to me.

    I'd like to stress that there's nothing wrong with any of the
    students. We're just not the same (thankfully) and we learn
    differently.

    Where do you fit in all this? Who knows? But here's a suggestion.

    Pick up a study book or two and give one of the tests a try. If it
    takes you six months to pass a test, a classroom environment may be a
    better choice.

    HTH,

    SJ
    MCT, MCSA, MCSE...
    www.certquest.net

    SJ, May 13, 2004
  4. Seth

    Seth Guest

    so your saying $1400 for self study via website and media (books, cdroms)
    for a MCSA is ludicrious???

    Seth, May 13, 2004
  5. Seth

    JaR Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:10:46 +1000, Seth extemporised:

    > so your saying $1400 for self study via website and media (books, cdroms)
    > for a MCSA is ludicrious???

    Nope. Especially if it includes the cost of the test vouchers. All I'm
    saying is you could use the money to set up a test lab, buy the books, get
    the eval versions of the software, and do it yourself.

    JaR
    MCSA A+ Net+ MCNGP #10110
    JaR, May 13, 2004
  6. Seth

    TechGeekPro Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:10:46 +1000, Seth extemporised:
    >
    > > so your saying $1400 for self study via website and media (books,

    cdroms)
    > > for a MCSA is ludicrious???
    > >

    > Nope. Especially if it includes the cost of the test vouchers. All I'm
    > saying is you could use the money to set up a test lab, buy the books, get
    > the eval versions of the software, and do it yourself.
    >
    > JaR
    > MCSA A+ Net+ MCNGP #10110

    I just noticed your sig JaR. Are you not an MCSE? I thought that was a
    requirement for membership in the MCNGP.
    TechGeekPro, May 13, 2004
  7. Seth

    JaR Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:20:48 -0400, TechGeekPro extemporised:
    >> JaR
    >> MCSA A+ Net+ MCNGP #10110

    > I just noticed your sig JaR. Are you not an MCSE? I thought that was a
    > requirement for membership in the MCNGP.

    Nope. MS has gotten all the money it's going to from me until it rethinks
    it's certification process, or until somebody tells me I have to have it
    and is willing to pay for it.<G>

    And nope, again.

    JaR
    Thug 11010
    JaR, May 13, 2004
  8. Seth

    TechGeekPro Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:20:48 -0400, TechGeekPro extemporised:
    > >> JaR
    > >> MCSA A+ Net+ MCNGP #10110

    > > I just noticed your sig JaR. Are you not an MCSE? I thought that was a
    > > requirement for membership in the MCNGP.

    > Nope. MS has gotten all the money it's going to from me until it rethinks
    > it's certification process, or until somebody tells me I have to have it
    > and is willing to pay for it.<G>
    >
    > And nope, again.
    >
    > JaR
    > Thug 11010

    Luckily, I have vouchers paid for by the Workforce Investment Act.
    TechGeekPro, May 13, 2004
  9. Seth

    Neil Guest

    JaR <> wrote in

    > [1] Apologies to the reputable trainers out there, and Neil ;-)

    ??? are you indicating I'm not reputable!!!???!!! WHY I OUGHTA...

    (actually I can't back up the reputable. I'm a pretty good trainer but most
    would agree I'm more of the ill-repute category <grin>)

    hey JaR! did ya notice I didn't resort to guns? I... AM.... CANADIAN!!!

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 13, 2004
  10. Seth

    Neil Guest

    "Seth" <> wrote in

    <snipinsomestuff>

    > My question is, is a self study, own paced via skillsoft.com MCSA
    > certification out of the question?

    the real way you will learn is thru self study. you can sit in class all
    you want and spend a gabillion dollars on it and unless you actually get
    your hands on and work with the product, you're hosed on the exam. I
    think there are problems with self study in the sense of there is no one
    to ask questions of when you are stuck on a topic, but they can be
    overcome. Buy some good books (JaR's recommendation of sybex is an
    excellent choice) and get crackin'. don't limit yourself to what's in the
    books though. have a look at the "skills being measured" section for the
    exam (at teh www.microsoft.com/learning) and learn every last
    detail.vmware, eval copies of the server, a couple of computers and away
    you go...

    > Dedication is not a problem

    <moresnipin>

    this is what you will need Adam if you want to pass the exams. With or
    without self study.

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 13, 2004
  11. Seth

    JaR Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:09:50 -0700, Neil extemporised:

    > ??? are you indicating I'm not reputable!!!???!!! WHY I OUGHTA...
    >
    > (actually I can't back up the reputable. I'm a pretty good trainer but most
    > would agree I'm more of the ill-repute category <grin>)
    >
    > hey JaR! did ya notice I didn't resort to guns? I... AM.... CANADIAN!!!

    Yes, you have a history of bringing a knife to a gunfight.

    Going to a battle of wits unarmed.

    Starting the race with an empty tank.

    Taking off shy a wing.

    Launching the canoe without a paddle.

    In short, why yes! You must be Canadian!

    *hunkers down behind sandbags and dons helmet*

    JaR
    Instigating Thug
    JaR, May 13, 2004
  12. Seth

    Neil Guest

    JaR <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:10:46 +1000, Seth extemporised:
    >
    >> so your saying $1400 for self study via website and media (books,
    >> cdroms) for a MCSA is ludicrious???
    >>

    > Nope. Especially if it includes the cost of the test vouchers. All I'm
    > saying is you could use the money to set up a test lab, buy the books,
    > get the eval versions of the software, and do it yourself.
    >
    > JaR
    > MCSA A+ Net+ MCNGP #10110

    pffft. you being too gentle here JaR. YES IT'S LUDICRIOUS!!! do you plan
    on studing for more than just these few tests. $1400 will buy a computer
    and a couple of books, and maybe even a copy of vmware. then you get a
    pile of evals (not just windows, but exchange, SQL, SMS, ISA hell go to
    town) and prep for a few exams and get teh full MCSE. maybe the
    MCSE:Exchange. but I doubt $1400 would cover vouchers as well.

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30 (MCSE+I, MCSA, MCDBA, MCT, A+, Net+, Server+,
    Compaq ASE, HP CSC, CCDA...ok I'm on the second line so I'll quit)
    Neil, May 13, 2004
  13. Seth

    Jtyc Guest

    > hey JaR! did ya notice I didn't resort to guns? I... AM.... CANADIAN!!!

    What's wrong with guns?
    Jtyc, May 13, 2004
  14. Seth

    Neil Guest

    JaR <> wrote in

    > JaR
    > Instigating Thug

    i personally would not bring anything to a gun fight. I'd be willing to
    send a nuke in my place though.

    (actually, being Canadian forces me to smile and say "Peace keeping" and
    tell you "no we don't have any weapons! nope no we don't!".

    As a side issue, check in on the major US conflicts of the past 100 years
    that Canada did not paricipate in. Like Vietnam. How is that Iraq thing
    working out for you? and can you say 1812?)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 13, 2004
  15. Seth

    Neil Guest

    "Jtyc" <jtyc_mcngp@spamblockerbitch!@yahoo.com> wrote in

    >> hey JaR! did ya notice I didn't resort to guns? I... AM.... CANADIAN!!!

    > What's wrong with guns?

    chemical weapons are more effective...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 13, 2004
  16. Seth

    Jtyc Guest

    > As a side issue, check in on the major US conflicts of the past 100 years
    > that Canada did not paricipate in. Like Vietnam. How is that Iraq thing
    > working out for you? and can you say 1812?)

    I had no idea Canada was the reason the US won WWII.

    how ignorant I have been...

    the shame...
    Jtyc, May 13, 2004
  17. Seth

    Jtyc Guest

    > chemical weapons are more effective...

    At doing what? They certainly are not more effective at destroying clay
    targets.
    Jtyc, May 13, 2004
  18. Seth

    JaR Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:50:37 -0700, Neil extemporised:

    > As a side issue, check in on the major US conflicts of the past 100 years
    > that Canada did not paricipate in. Like Vietnam. How is that Iraq thing
    > working out for you? and can you say 1812?)

    There's a point there, somewhere. I'm sure of it.

    Danged if I can find it, though.

    JaR
    Baffled Thug
    JaR, May 13, 2004
  19. Seth

    >> As a side issue, check in on the major US conflicts of the past 100
    >> years that Canada did not paricipate in. Like Vietnam. How is that
    >> Iraq thing working out for you? and can you say 1812?)

    > I had no idea Canada was the reason the US won WWII.
    >

    > how ignorant I have been...
    >

    > the shame...

    I forgive you...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 13, 2004
  20. Seth

    Neil Guest

    JaR <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:50:37 -0700, Neil extemporised:
    >
    >> As a side issue, check in on the major US conflicts of the past 100
    >> years that Canada did not paricipate in. Like Vietnam. How is that
    >> Iraq thing working out for you? and can you say 1812?)

    > There's a point there, somewhere. I'm sure of it.
    >
    > Danged if I can find it, though.
    >
    > JaR
    > Baffled Thug

    my work here is done