    thoughts as to what I should look for?

    Will a processor change force a revalidation with MS (I'm running XP).

    Thanks
    JohnB, Feb 9, 2005

  2. JohnB

    Guest

    , Feb 9, 2005

  3. JohnB wrote:

    > I have an AMD 2600+ running on a A7V8X mobo. Every few days, the
    > processor starts running very hot, the monitor app comes up and
    > reports it. Rise time is less than 10 minutes the last time it
    > happened. Baseline CPU temp being reported is 60 degrees C. Not sure
    > if its the mobo or the CPU. Any thoughts as to what I should look
    > for?

    First, you're still safe at that temp, albeit the cooler the better in
    terms of overall life expectancy.

    http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm

    Are you monitoring fan speeds too?

    No correlation between the hot times and what you're doing with the
    system when they happen?

    > Will a processor change force a revalidation with MS (I'm running XP).

    I don't know -- it may take more than one piece of new hardware being
    changed, but possibly the CPU itself will blow the whistle. At best,
    with a CPU replacement you will be One Piece closer to needing
    permission to use your rented OS.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Now killing all posts made with User-Agent G2 (Google Groups)
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 9, 2005
  4. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > JohnB wrote:
    >
    >> I have an AMD 2600+ running on a A7V8X mobo. Every few days, the
    >> processor starts running very hot, the monitor app comes up and
    >> reports it. Rise time is less than 10 minutes the last time it
    >> happened. Baseline CPU temp being reported is 60 degrees C. Not sure
    >> if its the mobo or the CPU. Any thoughts as to what I should look
    >> for?

    > First, you're still safe at that temp, albeit the cooler the better in
    > terms of overall life expectancy.

    System alerts at 71 degrees C

    > http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm

    > Are you monitoring fan speeds too?

    Yes, no change. The machine is currently on the table and open. No obvious
    changes (fan spinning down...)

    > No correlation between the hot times and what you're doing with the
    > system when they happen?

    Not other than it has been running for a while. Happens during active use
    and while idle. It is happening more frequently. Machine is supposed to be
    24/7.

    >> Will a processor change force a revalidation with MS (I'm running XP).

    > I don't know -- it may take more than one piece of new hardware being
    > changed, but possibly the CPU itself will blow the whistle. At best,
    > with a CPU replacement you will be One Piece closer to needing
    > permission to use your rented OS.

    I hear you. Use *nix in other environments. Have to use XP on the machine
    for a number of reasons. Have a backup mobo and processor. May just have
    to talk my way through MS on this one.

    Oddly enough a reboot clears it. Temp ramps back down, and things are
    fine..for a while
    JohnB, Feb 9, 2005
  5. JohnB wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> JohnB wrote:

    >>> I have an AMD 2600+ running on a A7V8X mobo. Every few days, the
    >>> processor starts running very hot, the monitor app comes up and
    >>> reports it. Rise time is less than 10 minutes the last time it
    >>> happened. Baseline CPU temp being reported is 60 degrees C. Not sure
    >>> if its the mobo or the CPU. Any thoughts as to what I should look
    >>> for?

    >> First, you're still safe at that temp, albeit the cooler the better in
    >> terms of overall life expectancy.

    > System alerts at 71 degrees C

    Good. That doesn't mean the CPU dies at 72. Read the chart I linked
    you to.

    >> http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm

    >> Are you monitoring fan speeds too?

    > Yes, no change. The machine is currently on the table and open. No obvious
    > changes (fan spinning down...)

    Currently it's not overheating, I suspect? I'm asking if your monitoring
    software (or BIOS, if that's where you're getting your temps) is
    watching the fans (and if they, too, have alerts set).

    >> No correlation between the hot times and what you're doing with the
    >> system when they happen?

    > Not other than it has been running for a while. Happens during active use
    > and while idle. It is happening more frequently. Machine is supposed to be
    > 24/7.

    'Kay.

    >>> Will a processor change force a revalidation with MS (I'm running XP).

    >> I don't know -- it may take more than one piece of new hardware being
    >> changed, but possibly the CPU itself will blow the whistle. At best,
    >> with a CPU replacement you will be One Piece closer to needing
    >> permission to use your rented OS.

    > I hear you. Use *nix in other environments. Have to use XP on the machine
    > for a number of reasons. Have a backup mobo and processor. May just have
    > to talk my way through MS on this one.

    > Oddly enough a reboot clears it. Temp ramps back down, and things are
    > fine..for a while

    For another "few days", you mean? Hmmmm.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 9, 2005
  6. JohnB

    > JohnB wrote:
    >
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> First, you're still safe at that temp, albeit the cooler the better in
    >>> terms of overall life expectancy.

    >> System alerts at 71 degrees C

    > Good. That doesn't mean the CPU dies at 72. Read the chart I linked
    > you to.
    >
    >>> http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm

    >>> Are you monitoring fan speeds too?

    >> Yes, no change. The machine is currently on the table and open. No
    >> obvious
    >> changes (fan spinning down...)

    > Currently it's not overheating, I suspect? I'm asking if your monitoring
    > software (or BIOS, if that's where you're getting your temps) is
    > watching the fans (and if they, too, have alerts set).

    They have alerts and a history trace (as does voltages). All are rock
    steady.

    >>> No correlation between the hot times and what you're doing with the
    >>> system when they happen?

    >> Not other than it has been running for a while. Happens during active
    >> use
    >> and while idle. It is happening more frequently. Machine is supposed to
    >> be
    >> 24/7.

    > 'Kay.

    >>> I don't know -- it may take more than one piece of new hardware being
    >>> changed, but possibly the CPU itself will blow the whistle. At best,
    >>> with a CPU replacement you will be One Piece closer to needing
    >>> permission to use your rented OS.

    >> I hear you. Use *nix in other environments. Have to use XP on the
    >> machine
    >> for a number of reasons. Have a backup mobo and processor. May just
    >> have
    >> to talk my way through MS on this one.

    >> Oddly enough a reboot clears it. Temp ramps back down, and things are
    >> fine..for a while

    > For another "few days", you mean? Hmmmm.

    At first a while was a week or so, now its down to every couple of days.
    Thinking I have something experincing thermal fatigue. Could well be the
    sensor and not the chip. Think I go with the chip change tonight and see
    if the MS rental agent wakes up or not.
    JohnB, Feb 9, 2005
  7. JohnB wrote:

    > At first a while was a week or so, now its down to every couple of
    > days. Thinking I have something experincing thermal fatigue. Could
    > well be the sensor and not the chip. Think I go with the chip change
    > tonight and see if the MS rental agent wakes up or not.

    From what someone else reported, it's a Three Strike Rule. I figured it
    was something like that, but thought a CPU might cost more than one
    strike on its own. But I guess not, so it looks like you're not going
    to be in the MS Felon File over this.

    Let me know if the CPU swap is the answer. (I'd use the natural phrase
    for when more than one person has been trying to help, "let us know",
    but there are fetishists in the group who always jump on such a criminal
    use of "us", so I won't. Just tell *me* how you come out. <g>)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 10, 2005