Over 40? You KNOW you want one of these.......

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by The Black Wibble, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Remember the Atari game consoles for TV?
    >>
    >> This is a re-issue of the classic Atari console with 40 games built in
    >> (all classics)......and only US$29.95
    >>
    >> http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback2/7800?CMP=EMC-August2005-FB2
    >>
    >> Have a peek. They looked so cool then....and so quaintly nostalgic now.
    >>
    >> Kids - this was computering gaming when your Dad was a boy.

    > Back in the days when games were hard, and not the mindless repetition of
    > todays shite.

    No, begone blocky eight colour characters and terrible audio effects; and
    good riddance to shallow, restrictive gameplay and repetitive levels. We
    are more spoiled for choice and quailty of games than ever before. I have
    fond memories of games like Manic Miner, Jetset Willy, 3D Ants, Marble
    Madness, Artic Fox, and every game made by Ultimate Play the Game; but when
    I try out some of them using emulators... well.. utterly frigging boring...
    They're absolute shite compared to HalfLife 2, Battlefield 2, Need For
    Speed: Underground, Knights of the Old Republic and Splinter Cell. And,
    gaming ~online~ is fantastic. Back in the early 80's I never envisaged
    games could get as good as they are now.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Nov 29, 2005

  2. The Black Wibble

    steve Guest

    steve, Nov 29, 2005

  3. "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Remember the Atari game consoles for TV?
    >
    > This is a re-issue of the classic Atari console with 40 games built in
    > (all classics)......and only US$29.95
    >
    > http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback2/7800?CMP=EMC-August2005-FB2
    >
    > Have a peek. They looked so cool then....and so quaintly nostalgic now.
    >
    > Kids - this was computering gaming when your Dad was a boy.

    Back in the days when games were hard, and not the mindless repetition of
    todays shite.

    Although, you should aim this at the over 30's...these games were popular
    when I was a kid, and i am in my early 30's. Jeez, sounds old in print.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 29, 2005
  4. The Black Wibble

    JC Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Remember the Atari game consoles for TV?
    >
    > This is a re-issue of the classic Atari console with 40 games built in
    > (all classics)......and only US$29.95
    >
    > http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback2/7800?CMP=EMC-August2005-FB2
    >
    > Have a peek. They looked so cool then....and so quaintly nostalgic now.
    >
    > Kids - this was computering gaming when your Dad was a boy.

    Over 40s? I remember those games and I'm in the over 30s.

    JC, Nov 29, 2005
  5. The Black Wibble

    steve Guest

    JC wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> Remember the Atari game consoles for TV?
    >>
    >> This is a re-issue of the classic Atari console with 40 games built in
    >> (all classics)......and only US$29.95
    >>
    >> http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback2/7800?CMP=EMC-August2005-FB2
    >>

    >> Have a peek. They looked so cool then....and so quaintly nostalgic now.
    >>
    >> Kids - this was computering gaming when your Dad was a boy.

    > Over 40s? I remember those games and I'm in the over 30s.

    Good! Even better. :)

    steve, Nov 29, 2005
  6. The Black Wibble

    steve Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > Although, you should aim this at the over 30's...these games were popular
    > when I was a kid, and i am in my early 30's. Jeez, sounds old in print.

    Three years off 50....and I know how you feel.

    Though I'm arguably more fit and feeling better than for most of the 25
    years I had a desk job.

    I would have lost 40-50 kgs in the past couple of years - easy.

    steve, Nov 29, 2005
  7. The Black Wibble

    ardz Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > JC wrote:
    >> steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> Remember the Atari game consoles for TV?
    >>>
    >>> This is a re-issue of the classic Atari console with 40 games built in
    >>> (all classics)......and only US$29.95
    >>>
    >>> http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback2/7800?CMP=EMC-August2005-FB2
    >>>
    >>> Have a peek. They looked so cool then....and so quaintly nostalgic now.
    >>>
    >>> Kids - this was computering gaming when your Dad was a boy.

    >> Over 40s? I remember those games and I'm in the over 30s.

    > Good! Even better. :)

    I remember going as a 14/15 year old to the "electronics expo" at the old
    Trillos in downtown Auckland. This was around 1982/83...The Atari 2600 was
    really being pushed and they had a stand at the expo showcasing a lot of
    their games as they had about 20 consoles and TVs lined up.....pure Video
    Game Junkie heaven. Those expos there were awesome especially if you were
    into your HiFi gear. I remember thinking Dam they must have a railway track
    near by as i could hear one going through a crossing with the bells ringing.
    Not even...it was the JVC stand showcasing their new "HiFi" audio standard
    on their top end video recorder.

    ardz, Nov 29, 2005
  8. "steve" <> wrote in message
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Although, you should aim this at the over 30's...these games were popular
    >> when I was a kid, and i am in my early 30's. Jeez, sounds old in print.

    > Three years off 50....and I know how you feel.
    >
    > Though I'm arguably more fit and feeling better than for most of the 25
    > years I had a desk job.
    >
    > I would have lost 40-50 kgs in the past couple of years - easy.

    Just one word...wow!!

    How? Weightwatchers/Atkins??? Or , just improved diet and regular exercise?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 29, 2005
  9. The Black Wibble

    thing2 Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Remember the Atari game consoles for TV?
    >
    > This is a re-issue of the classic Atari console with 40 games built in
    > (all classics)......and only US$29.95
    >
    > http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback2/7800?CMP=EMC-August2005-FB2
    >
    > Have a peek. They looked so cool then....and so quaintly nostalgic now.
    >
    > Kids - this was computering gaming when your Dad was a boy.

    We didnt have computers when I was a "boy", I think you mean over 30s?

    My first computer game was done on a baud 1200 teletext printer talking
    to the Council's main frame 20 miles away, this was circa 1978....at
    about 15....oops giving away my age here.....

    I recall the sinclair computers coming in circa 1981~3?.....I think I
    bought a ZX spectrum 128? in 1984~5?......86 I was playing with
    cp/m...87~88 I had a hd! all 20meg of it...and 640k Ram added a
    co-processor for autocad....lol....Amstrad 1640....

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Nov 29, 2005
  10. The Black Wibble

    Invisible Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:19:24 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >Remember the Atari game consoles for TV?
    >
    >This is a re-issue of the classic Atari console with 40 games built in
    >(all classics)......and only US$29.95
    >
    >http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback2/7800?CMP=EMC-August2005-FB2
    >
    >Have a peek. They looked so cool then....and so quaintly nostalgic now.

    What's the game in the first screen shot? I had a Fountain console, I think I
    still have it somewhere.

    Invisible, Nov 29, 2005
  11. In article <>, thing2 <> wrote:
    >steve wrote:
    >> Remember the Atari game consoles for TV?
    >> This is a re-issue of the classic Atari console with 40 games built in
    >> (all classics)......and only US$29.95
    >> http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback2/7800?CMP=EMC-August2005-FB2
    >> Have a peek. They looked so cool then....and so quaintly nostalgic now.
    >> Kids - this was computering gaming when your Dad was a boy.

    >We didnt have computers when I was a "boy", I think you mean over 30s?
    >
    >My first computer game was done on a baud 1200 teletext printer talking
    >to the Council's main frame 20 miles away, this was circa 1978....at
    >about 15....oops giving away my age here.....
    >
    >I recall the sinclair computers coming in circa 1981~3?.....I think I
    >bought a ZX spectrum 128? in 1984~5?......86 I was playing with
    >cp/m...87~88 I had a hd! all 20meg of it...and 640k Ram added a
    >co-processor for autocad....lol....Amstrad 1640....

    Atari 2600 and apple II+. Great gaming machines ... and as has already been
    said ... there were some great games too :)
    Timing ? ... must have been 25 + years ago so 1980 ish for the apple and
    maybe mid 1970s for the Atari (imported at great expense from Aus :) ).

    ..

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 30, 2005
  12. The Black Wibble

    steve Guest

    thing2 wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> Remember the Atari game consoles for TV?
    >>
    >> This is a re-issue of the classic Atari console with 40 games built in
    >> (all classics)......and only US$29.95

    http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback2/7800?CMP=EMC-August2005-FB2

    >> Have a peek. They looked so cool then....and so quaintly nostalgic now.
    >>
    >> Kids - this was computering gaming when your Dad was a boy.

    > We didnt have computers when I was a "boy", I think you mean over 30s?

    Yeah........Post in haste, repent at leisure.

    > My first computer game was done on a baud 1200 teletext printer talking
    > to the Council's main frame 20 miles away, this was circa 1978....at
    > about 15....oops giving away my age here.....
    >
    > I recall the sinclair computers coming in circa 1981~3?.....I think I
    > bought a ZX spectrum 128? in 1984~5?......86 I was playing with
    > cp/m...87~88 I had a hd! all 20meg of it...and 640k Ram added a
    > co-processor for autocad....lol....Amstrad 1640....

    Our paths are similar. :)

    Though from 1983-1992 I had either an IBM or an Amdahl mainframe to play
    with (had to share it with Cliff and a few hundred other people though).

    steve, Nov 30, 2005
  13. The Black Wibble

    ardz Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:19:24 +1300, steve <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Remember the Atari game consoles for TV?
    >>
    >>This is a re-issue of the classic Atari console with 40 games built in
    >>(all classics)......and only US$29.95
    >>
    >>http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback2/7800?CMP=EMC-August2005-FB2
    >>
    >>Have a peek. They looked so cool then....and so quaintly nostalgic now.
    >>

    > What's the game in the first screen shot? I had a Fountain console, I
    > think I
    > still have it somewhere.

    It looks a bit like "missile command" where you had to shoot down incoming
    missles. A lot of fun.....

    ardz, Nov 30, 2005
  14. The Black Wibble

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Remember the Atari game consoles for TV?
    >>
    >> This is a re-issue of the classic Atari console with 40 games built
    >> in (all classics)......and only US$29.95
    >>
    >> http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback2/7800?CMP=EMC-August2005-FB2
    >>
    >> Have a peek. They looked so cool then....and so quaintly nostalgic
    >> now. Kids - this was computering gaming when your Dad was a boy.

    > Back in the days when games were hard, and not the mindless
    > repetition of todays shite.
    >
    > Although, you should aim this at the over 30's...these games were
    > popular when I was a kid, and i am in my early 30's. Jeez, sounds old
    > in print.

    I'm 25 and they were still knocking around when I was a kid. The NES and
    SMS didn't come out til I was five or six, maybe even older.

    Nik Coughlin, Nov 30, 2005
  15. The Black Wibble

    Bok Guest

    thing2 wrote:
    > My first computer game was done on a baud 1200 teletext printer talking
    > to the Council's main frame 20 miles away, this was circa 1978....at
    > about 15....oops giving away my age here.....

    Hmmm, I recall playing the orginal Adventure game via a 1200 baud
    teletype console connected to a mainframe at VUW circa 1978. That wasn't
    the first computer game I ever played, but I was slightly older than you
    at the time.

    Bok, Nov 30, 2005
  16. The Black Wibble

    Bok Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > Atari 2600 and apple II+. Great gaming machines ... and as has already been
    > said ... there were some great games too :)
    > Timing ? ... must have been 25 + years ago so 1980 ish for the apple and
    > maybe mid 1970s for the Atari (imported at great expense from Aus :) ).

    Yep 80ish would be right; I brought an Apple II+ in the US around 1980
    while on a business trip. Just prior to that I had a home built 6502
    system - no case and old b/w TV I found at a rubbish tip as a monitor
    (had about 4K of RAM). Next "toy" machine was a 2nd hand 286 I acquired
    later on in the 80s to paly around with SmallTalk (the programing
    language).

    Bok, Nov 30, 2005
  17. The Black Wibble

    Rob J Guest

    In article <438cd505$>,
    says...
    > Remember the Atari game consoles for TV?
    >
    > This is a re-issue of the classic Atari console with 40 games built in
    > (all classics)......and only US$29.95
    >
    > http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback2/7800?CMP=EMC-August2005-FB2
    >
    > Have a peek. They looked so cool then....and so quaintly nostalgic now.
    >
    > Kids - this was computering gaming when your Dad was a boy.

    But it's made in a sweatshop for slave labour wages in Asia!

    Rob J, Nov 30, 2005
  18. In article <438d52a5$>, Bok <> wrote:
    >thing2 wrote:
    >> My first computer game was done on a baud 1200 teletext printer talking
    >> to the Council's main frame 20 miles away, this was circa 1978....at
    >> about 15....oops giving away my age here.....

    >Hmmm, I recall playing the orginal Adventure game via a 1200 baud
    >teletype console connected to a mainframe at VUW circa 1978. That wasn't
    >the first computer game I ever played, but I was slightly older than you
    >at the time.

    Hah ! 1200 baud ... luxury. <assumes old codger pose> young
    whippersnappers. 300 baud ... that was fast enough ! :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 1, 2005
  19. In article <438d5550$>, Bok <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> Atari 2600 and apple II+. Great gaming machines ... and as has already been
    >> said ... there were some great games too :)
    >> Timing ? ... must have been 25 + years ago so 1980 ish for the apple and
    >> maybe mid 1970s for the Atari (imported at great expense from Aus :) ).

    >Yep 80ish would be right; I brought an Apple II+ in the US around 1980
    >while on a business trip. Just prior to that I had a home built 6502
    >system - no case and old b/w TV I found at a rubbish tip as a monitor
    >(had about 4K of RAM). Next "toy" machine was a 2nd hand 286 I acquired
    >later on in the 80s to paly around with SmallTalk (the programing
    >language).

    Well do I remember the 32 k II+ ... and the expensive extra 16 k added
    later :)
    I went the //e then //gs way for a while - the things they could do
    still amaze me - much s/w is still catching up) before giving in to the dark
    side ... a 486/100 running win 3.11 and used up until 3 years ago. :)
    I never could believe that the faster non apple computer had that silly
    limit on file names either :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 1, 2005
  20. The Black Wibble

    Rob J Guest

    In article <438d5550$>, lid says...
    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > > Atari 2600 and apple II+. Great gaming machines ... and as has already been
    > > said ... there were some great games too :)
    > > Timing ? ... must have been 25 + years ago so 1980 ish for the apple and
    > > maybe mid 1970s for the Atari (imported at great expense from Aus :) ).

    > Yep 80ish would be right; I brought an Apple II+ in the US around 1980
    > while on a business trip. Just prior to that I had a home built 6502
    > system - no case and old b/w TV I found at a rubbish tip as a monitor
    > (had about 4K of RAM). Next "toy" machine was a 2nd hand 286 I acquired
    > later on in the 80s to paly around with SmallTalk (the programing
    > language).

    School had a Trash 80 in 1979, the only PC they had. Then some apple ][
    computers, most of which had a cassette recorder. Later on we had a few
    floppy drives though every so often the office would borrow them for
    theirs. The apples were hooked up to old B&w TVs for displays. The FDDs
    cost about $1000 each as I recall. I started Pascal programming on the
    Apple ][ running UCSD Pascal on floppy disks which held 140K each.

    By the time I left the school they had acquired one suite of 20 BBC
    Micro Model B pcs with (gasp) colour displays and a FDD.

    My first PC that I owned was in 1995 when I paid $900 for a second hand
    386SX16 to write my polytech assignments on. It could just run Windows
    3.1 on a mono screen.

    Rob J, Dec 1, 2005