Over 1300 Pictures of SONY Cybershot F828 Right Here...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Soulis, Jan 23, 2004.

  1. Soulis

    Soulis Guest

    Soulis, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Soulis

    Rick Guest

    Rick, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Soulis

    Adam M Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:17:37 -0800, "Rick" <> wrote:

    >"Soulis" <@> wrote in message news:...
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sony/dsc_f828
    >>
    >> Well, you can now see for yourselves what it can
    >> or cannot do.

    >Some nice shots there, but after three years it seems Sony
    >still can't do bright reds, e.g.
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/24502420
    >Horribly oversaturated, no detail. Awful, looks even worse
    >than the F707.
    >
    >And this one speaks for itself:
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/24809416
    >
    >Rick

    Maybe not you have to read to see that it is a Crop and 100%
    enlargment from other picture. If you look at his other shots you can
    see there are pictures of the same lights with much less CA/Purple
    Fringe.

    Adam M
    Adam M, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Soulis

    Rick Guest

    "Adam M" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:17:37 -0800, "Rick" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Soulis" <@> wrote in message news:...
    > >>
    > >> http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sony/dsc_f828
    > >>
    > >> Well, you can now see for yourselves what it can
    > >> or cannot do.

    > >Some nice shots there, but after three years it seems Sony
    > >still can't do bright reds, e.g.
    > >http://www.pbase.com/image/24502420
    > >Horribly oversaturated, no detail. Awful, looks even worse
    > >than the F707.
    > >
    > >And this one speaks for itself:
    > >http://www.pbase.com/image/24809416
    > >
    > >Rick
    > >

    > Maybe not you have to read to see that it is a Crop and 100%
    > enlargment from other picture. If you look at his other shots you can
    > see there are pictures of the same lights with much less CA/Purple
    > Fringe.

    So what's the point of an 8MP camera if crops look like crap?
    One is better off using a 5 or 6MP camera with much less noise
    and CA/PF.

    Rick
    Rick, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Soulis

    Adam M Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:03:07 -0800, "Rick" <> wrote:

    >> Maybe not you have to read to see that it is a Crop and 100%
    >> enlargment from other picture. If you look at his other shots you can
    >> see there are pictures of the same lights with much less CA/Purple
    >> Fringe.

    >So what's the point of an 8MP camera if crops look like crap?
    >One is better off using a 5 or 6MP camera with much less noise
    >and CA/PF.
    >
    >Rick

    I'm not really trying to say it's a wonderful camera, I'm not spending
    $1000 on a camera any time soon. If that was my plan I would just
    wait for the D70 Nikon.

    I've been looking at the Nikon 5700, the Sony had several benefits
    over the Nikon. It is almost impossible to compare the 2 cameras.
    The only photos posted full size from the Sony are pots and pans or
    chrome in high noon sun, and pictures of light bulbs.

    I'm not a photographer by any terms, I'm trying to learn as much about
    photography as I can. I have looked at a lot of photographs trying to
    learn. I have not come across light bulbs as a subject at all. One
    web forum guru was talking about how bad the Sony was, yet when I went
    to his web site he did Portrait, and B&W fine art. I would guess
    (again I'm not the expert here) he would never encounter conditions
    that would create CA in the first place.

    Am I missing something here?

    Adam M
    Adam M, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Soulis

    Rick Guest

    <Adam M> wrote in message news:...
    > On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:03:07 -0800, "Rick" <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Maybe not you have to read to see that it is a Crop and 100%
    > >> enlargment from other picture. If you look at his other shots you can
    > >> see there are pictures of the same lights with much less CA/Purple
    > >> Fringe.

    > >So what's the point of an 8MP camera if crops look like crap?
    > >One is better off using a 5 or 6MP camera with much less noise
    > >and CA/PF.
    > >
    > >Rick
    > >

    > I'm not really trying to say it's a wonderful camera, I'm not spending
    > $1000 on a camera any time soon. If that was my plan I would just
    > wait for the D70 Nikon.
    >
    > I've been looking at the Nikon 5700, the Sony had several benefits
    > over the Nikon. It is almost impossible to compare the 2 cameras.
    > The only photos posted full size from the Sony are pots and pans or
    > chrome in high noon sun, and pictures of light bulbs.
    >
    > I'm not a photographer by any terms, I'm trying to learn as much about
    > photography as I can. I have looked at a lot of photographs trying to
    > learn. I have not come across light bulbs as a subject at all. One
    > web forum guru was talking about how bad the Sony was, yet when I went
    > to his web site he did Portrait, and B&W fine art. I would guess
    > (again I'm not the expert here) he would never encounter conditions
    > that would create CA in the first place.
    >
    > Am I missing something here?

    The CA/PF problems surface in a wide range of circumstances.
    There is one sample image in one of the major reviews of a palm
    branch in daylight... horrible PF to the point where the image,
    even uncropped is essentially unusable. Still another shot of an
    automobile in daylight (this might be the chrome shot you're
    referring to), and again the crops are virtually usuable. And still
    another, of the San Francisco skyline at nighttime.. This one
    was the absolute clincher for me -- the CA is so bad that the
    lights around the buildings are just a mass of noise, and are
    completely indistinguishable from one another.

    None of these subjects are uncommon.

    Rick
    Rick, Jan 24, 2004
  7. > I've been looking at the Nikon 5700, the Sony had several benefits
    > over the Nikon. It is almost impossible to compare the 2 cameras.

    You should also look at the Minolta A1, less heavy than the Sony and in
    just the same class.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 24, 2004