    My TV software seems to have decided to alter all it's recording times forwards
    an hour, I guess for daylight savings time, but with Windows automatically doing
    the same I ended up with a recording of Nightline :(
    Craig Shore, Oct 5, 2006

  2. In message <>, Craig Shore wrote:

    > My TV software seems to have decided to alter all it's recording times
    > forwards an hour, I guess for daylight savings time, but with Windows
    > automatically doing the same I ended up with a recording of Nightline :(

    You mean you weren't running an OS that internally calibrates all its times
    to UTC?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2006

  3. Craig Shore

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> My TV software seems to have decided to alter all it's recording times
    >> forwards an hour, I guess for daylight savings time, but with Windows
    >> automatically doing the same I ended up with a recording of Nightline :(

    > You mean you weren't running an OS that internally calibrates all its times
    > to UTC?

    I think the problem was that it did, rather then use the PCs local time.
    Richard, Oct 6, 2006
  4. In message <45264e51$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, Craig Shore
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My TV software seems to have decided to alter all it's recording times
    >>> forwards an hour, I guess for daylight savings time, but with Windows
    >>> automatically doing the same I ended up with a recording of Nightline :(

    >> You mean you weren't running an OS that internally calibrates all its
    >> times to UTC?

    > I think the problem was that it did, rather then use the PCs local time.

    If it did use UTC, there wouldn't have been a problem:

    ldo@theon:~> echo $(($(date -d "12:00:00 1-oct-2006" +%s) - $(date -d "12:00:00 30-sep-2006" +%s)))
    82800
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2006
  5. Craig Shore

    Phil Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote, On 7/10/06 12.01 a:
    > In message <>, Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> My TV software seems to have decided to alter all it's recording times
    >> forwards an hour, I guess for daylight savings time, but with Windows
    >> automatically doing the same I ended up with a recording of Nightline :(

    > You mean you weren't running an OS that internally calibrates all its times
    > to UTC?

    What does that have to do with anything? The problem was that his TV
    software deciding to take /some/ timezone matters into it's own hands.

    -Phil
    Phil, Oct 6, 2006
  6. Craig Shore

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> I think the problem was that it did, rather then use the PCs local time.

    > If it did use UTC, there wouldn't have been a problem:

    The time that outrageous fortune was on shifted an hour in relation to
    UTC, the software recorded at the same time UTC and therefore got the
    wrong show, whereas it should have recorded an hour earlier with the
    shift of local time from +12 to +13

    If it was set to local time, then it would have gotten the right show.
    All in all very poor for any software to do this as its a twice yearly
    thing that it will stuff up.
    Richard, Oct 6, 2006
  7. Craig Shore

    Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > Don't suppose anyone knows where I could download this weeks episode of
    > Outrageous Fortune?
    >
    > My TV software seems to have decided to alter all it's recording times forwards
    > an hour, I guess for daylight savings time, but with Windows automatically doing
    > the same I ended up with a recording of Nightline :(

    Hi Craig....If this is the episode you're looking for it's on Diwana

    http://diwana.org/

    Outrageous Fortune
    2006 - Episode 4

    Aired: 3 October 2006

    Duration: 00:44:49
    Resolution: 512x384 [4:3 with black bars]
    Video: xVid 975 kb/s
    Audio: MP3 112 kb/s 44100 Hz

    Regards
    Miguel
    , Oct 6, 2006
  8. In message <452654fb$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>> I think the problem was that it did, rather then use the PCs local time.

    >> If it did use UTC, there wouldn't have been a problem:

    > The time that outrageous fortune was on shifted an hour in relation to
    > UTC...

    Which would have automatically been taken into account by the recording
    program working in UTC.

    > ... the software recorded at the same time UTC and therefore got the
    > wrong show...

    It obviously did the UTC calculation wrong:

    ldo@theon:~> date -d "21:30:00 3-oct-2006" +%s
    1159864200
    ldo@theon:~> TZ=UTC date -d "00:00:00 01-jan-1970 +1159864200 seconds"
    Tue Oct 3 08:30:00 UTC 2006
    ldo@theon:~> date -d "21:30:00 26-sep-2006" +%s
    1159263000
    ldo@theon:~> TZ=UTC date -d "00:00:00 01-jan-1970 +1159263000 seconds"
    Tue Sep 26 09:30:00 UTC 2006

    Simple, really, when you rely on standard system facilities to do it.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2006
  9. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On 6 Oct 2006 12:12:25 -0700, wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> Don't suppose anyone knows where I could download this weeks episode of
    >> Outrageous Fortune?
    >>
    >> My TV software seems to have decided to alter all it's recording times forwards
    >> an hour, I guess for daylight savings time, but with Windows automatically doing
    >> the same I ended up with a recording of Nightline :(

    >Hi Craig....If this is the episode you're looking for it's on Diwana

    Which isn't taking any new signups :(
    Craig Shore, Oct 7, 2006
  10. Craig Shore

    Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On 6 Oct 2006 12:12:25 -0700, wrote:
    >

    > >Craig Shore wrote:
    > >
    > >> Don't suppose anyone knows where I could download this weeks episode of
    > >> Outrageous Fortune?
    > >>
    > >> My TV software seems to have decided to alter all it's recording times forwards
    > >> an hour, I guess for daylight savings time, but with Windows automatically doing
    > >> the same I ended up with a recording of Nightline :(

    > >Hi Craig....If this is the episode you're looking for it's on Diwana

    > Which isn't taking any new signups :(

    Hi again Craig,

    I've sent an aussietorrents invite to your paradise.net address. Once
    you're with aussietorrents search for the "Diwana Invites" thread. Then
    politely ask for a diwana invite. As of yesterday Diwana were accepting
    new members via aussietorrents.

    Good luck
    Miguel
    , Oct 7, 2006
  11. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On 7 Oct 2006 14:29:04 -0700, wrote:

    >I've sent an aussietorrents invite to your paradise.net address. Once
    >you're with aussietorrents search for the "Diwana Invites" thread. Then
    >politely ask for a diwana invite. As of yesterday Diwana were accepting
    >new members via aussietorrents.

    Thanks!
    Craig Shore, Oct 8, 2006