Outputting networked pc's to monitors

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by thelongmile, Nov 26, 2008.

  1. thelongmile

    thelongmile Guest

    We're trying to implement something in work based on something I have seen
    in the past and used.

    In a call center enviroment, every pc we had was on the network. Each
    graphics card however had the ability to output to another monitor, which
    was actually wall mounted (4 of them around the center). The other monitor
    showed up exactly as you would expect a second monitor to in display
    properties > settings

    Essentially we have a small office of 4 pc's now, however we would like to
    use this same ability without having to run a mile of cable with a KVM or
    switching box.

    I remember noticing a Microsoft peripheral hanging from the plasmas we had
    in the call center, and it seemed that, this particular piece of hardware
    was responsible for it.

    It would be great if there was a way I could shove something to be displayed
    on that monitor at a particular time, or for any of my colleagues to do
    this. Great for training ETC or reviewing a procedure. We do have a laptop
    currently connected to the screen which could act as a server, but I'm sure
    theres a simpler way of doing it without this, and without a KVM.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!
    thelongmile, Nov 26, 2008

  2. thelongmile

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day "thelongmile" <> did cause
    the electrons to come together and form the following words:

    > Essentially we have a small office of 4 pc's now, however we would
    > like to use this same ability without having to run a mile of cable
    > with a KVM or switching box.

    So in essence, you want to be able to display the same thing on two
    monitors that are not close together?

    Don't know how you would do it without running wires to every PC unless
    you can find something wireless, but keeping it simple, I googled "vga
    over ethernet" and found a bunch of stuff. Something like this, perhaps?
    http://www.connectivity.avocent.com/products/emerge/ems2000-series.asp

    Alternatively, if the second display is not something that is going all
    the time, and depending on whether the person at the computer needs to
    see what is going on as well, you could use either remote desktop or a
    remote assistance request sent to a file that you can open when
    required.

    -------

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    TBone, Nov 26, 2008

  3. thelongmile

    thelongmile Guest

    Excellent

    Many thanks, I seem to overlook the most obvious a lot these days

    thelongmile, Nov 28, 2008