output from "show controller switch"

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by J R, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. J R

    J R Guest

    Greetings,

    My organization is pushing new operating systems out over many LANs using
    Symantec Ghost. Getting a lot of help calls when the administrators try to
    push during production hours, and, most of the time, when they are pushing
    this traffic over older 29xx series switches (2900, 2924, 2948, and 2950).
    Indications point to the fact that they are just pushing the devices too
    hard; I usually check "show proc cpu" to find the CPU is running very high
    and "show log" generally displays a lot of collisions, but few, if any,
    errors.

    I'm using the "show controller switch" command to determine whether or not
    the switch is operating at maximum bandwidth capability. The only problem is
    that I cannot find a reference for the metrics this is displaying.

    "If the Total Allocation reaches or is over the Congestion Threshold amount,
    the switch is experiencing considerable network activity near its full
    capacity." (see example below) This is all well and fine, and I am
    convinced, but I want to have a definition of what these hexidecimal numbers
    indicate (i.e. is this some kind of measurement that I can convert when I am
    explaining the situation?).

    Thanks in advance,
    John

    Switch#show controller switch
    Switch registers:

    Device Type : 0x00040273
    Congestion Threshold : 0x00000E95 ******
    Peak Total Allocation : 0x0000001A
    Total Allocation : 0x00000000 ******
    Peak Total Bandwidth : 0x00000020
    Total Bandwidth : 0x00000000
    Total Bandwidth Limit : 0x000003DE
    Lower Bandwidth Limit : 0x000003DE
    Switch Mode : 0x00040000

    Switch#
    J R, Sep 10, 2004

  2. J R wrote:

    > My organization is pushing new operating systems out over many LANs using
    > Symantec Ghost. Getting a lot of help calls when the administrators try to
    > push during production hours, and, most of the time, when they are pushing
    > this traffic over older 29xx series switches (2900, 2924, 2948, and 2950).

    Did you check with the admins that they are not using Ghost in multicast
    mode? This is well known to bring down complete networks.

    --
    Joop van der Velden
    Joop van der Velden, Sep 10, 2004

  3. J R

    J R Guest

    In fact, I know that they ARE using Ghost in multicast mode. This is one of
    the recurring symptoms. Do you know of any solutions (i.e. whether to use
    unicast or broadcast mode instead) that are documented anywhere?

    Thanks for the reply,

    J R

    J R, Sep 10, 2004
  4. J R wrote:

    > > Did you check with the admins that they are not using Ghost in multicast
    > > mode? This is well known to bring down complete networks.

    > In fact, I know that they ARE using Ghost in multicast mode. This is one of
    > the recurring symptoms. Do you know of any solutions (i.e. whether to use
    > unicast or broadcast mode instead) that are documented anywhere?

    If your switches are not fully L2 / L3 multicast enabled, they will
    flood the multicast packets out on every port, since they do not know
    how to handle these packets. Therefore, ghosting complete disk images
    (100's of megabytes) over the network in multicast mode will for sure
    cause lots of problems with the other network users.

    Until you do have a layer2/3 multicast enabled network, keep on
    using unicast mode, and don't use multi/broadcast mode.

    --
    Joop van der Velden
    Joop van der Velden, Sep 10, 2004