    Any help would be most welcome.

    TIA

    Mark

    Mark, Feb 11, 2006

  2. Mark

    Rob J Guest

    In article <yCiHf.141456$>,
    says...
    > Hi there....
    >
    > I think it should be possible to set up my HP nx6120 so that my primary
    > display is the notebook screen running at one resolution, and my TV as
    > secondary display running at another resolution. However, although all the
    > settings look OK to me, I cannot output the secondary display to the TV - it
    > only outputs the primary. (in both cases the 'identify' returns as 1 rather
    > than 1 & 2 respectively.)
    >
    > Any tips would be most welcome. I am interested in this for both the monitor
    > (serial type plug) and also S-Video (TV provides for both)
    >
    > Any help would be most welcome.

    Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
    humph!)
    Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
    in Windows.

    On some laptops it has to be connected before turning the power on.

    Rob J, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Mark

    XPD Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
    > humph!)
    > Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
    > in Windows.

    Thats a bit harsh..... theyve come in here for help and youre telling them
    to get stuffed.....Im sure you wernt born knowing everything and had to
    learn.

    XPD, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Mark

    Rufus Goetz Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:29:08 +1300, Rob J wrote:

    > In article <yCiHf.141456$>,
    > says...
    >> Hi there....
    >>
    >> I think it should be possible to set up my HP nx6120 so that my primary
    >> display is the notebook screen running at one resolution, and my TV as
    >> secondary display running at another resolution. However, although all the
    >> settings look OK to me, I cannot output the secondary display to the TV - it
    >> only outputs the primary. (in both cases the 'identify' returns as 1 rather
    >> than 1 & 2 respectively.)
    >>
    >> Any tips would be most welcome. I am interested in this for both the monitor
    >> (serial type plug) and also S-Video (TV provides for both)
    >>
    >> Any help would be most welcome.

    > Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
    > humph!)
    > Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
    > in Windows.
    >
    > On some laptops it has to be connected before turning the power on.

    OP politely posts a question, so you belittle him for his lack of knowledge
    and tell him to find someone knowledgable to answer it?

    (Well, duh!)

    Your post reeks of arsehole.

    --
    R A G

    Rufus Goetz, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Jeez - what a plonker!!

    Mark, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Mark

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    ....nz says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
    > > humph!)
    > > Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
    > > in Windows.

    > Thats a bit harsh..... theyve come in here for help and youre telling them
    > to get stuffed.....Im sure you wernt born knowing everything and had to
    > learn.

    If there is such an obvious lack, how do you explain basic concepts?

    A serial port connector is male, 9 pin, a VGA is female, 15 pin.
    Superficially they are somewhat similar in appearance.

    Rob J, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Mark

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    ....nz says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
    > > humph!)
    > > Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
    > > in Windows.

    > Thats a bit harsh..... theyve come in here for help and youre telling them
    > to get stuffed.....Im sure you wernt born knowing everything and had to
    > learn.

    OK then - where is your morally superior answer to the original
    questions?

    Rob J, Feb 12, 2006
  8. Mark

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    Rob J, Feb 12, 2006
  9. Mark

    Mark Guest

    morally superior?? you need help mate......

    Mark, Feb 12, 2006
  10. Mark

    David Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Hi there....
    >
    > I think it should be possible to set up my HP nx6120 so that my primary
    > display is the notebook screen running at one resolution, and my TV as
    > secondary display running at another resolution. However, although all the
    > settings look OK to me, I cannot output the secondary display to the TV - it
    > only outputs the primary. (in both cases the 'identify' returns as 1 rather
    > than 1 & 2 respectively.)
    >
    > Any tips would be most welcome. I am interested in this for both the monitor
    > (serial type plug) and also S-Video (TV provides for both)
    >
    > Any help would be most welcome.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Mark

    What sort of graphics card does it have? I know the ATi drivers (the
    ones with the old control panel, haven't tried the new .NET based
    control panel) are very helpful for this, You can set each device to
    mirror another or behave as an independant display. On my laptop it is
    necessary to turn it off and back on to enable VGA out (once the plug is
    connected). Hibernating and resuming works, no need for a full reboot.

    David, Feb 12, 2006
  11. Mark

    Rob J Guest

    In article <tcyHf.141537$>,
    says...
    > Jeez - what a plonker!!

    What happens if you connect a serial cable to the "serial type
    connector"? It won't fit.It is not a serial type connector at all. They
    are a DE15 connector, female, 15 pins. A serial connector has 9 pins and
    is male, although 25 pin connectors of a totally different form factor
    have been used in the past.

    The display output standard on a typical PC is some variant or successor
    of the VGA (Video Graphics Array) standard invented by IBM and for this
    reason, these connectors are commonly known as VGA connectors.
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-subminiature
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

    The most basic requirement is that your TV can be detected by Windows.
    Most cards on the market today will not enable a secondary display
    unless Windows can detect it at startup. If you have a cable that
    connects to the VGA connector, that should be tried with the power off
    and then turn the power of the TV on first and then the laptop. If it is
    detected, you should see pictures of two displays in Control Panel |
    Display | Settings.

    If it is not detected, look for a setting in the Advanced section (often
    under the hardware manufacturer's own extension to the Control Panel
    display pages) that forces detection of a TV. The ability to do this or
    the exact steps needed will vary depending on the brand of hardware
    installed. Some types of hardware will not detect through an extension
    cable or various types of switchbox.

    Rob J, Feb 12, 2006
  12. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Fair dos - bad description on my part in that what I meant to say was the
    connector from the TV that connects to the external monitor port on the
    notebook. And yes I know enough that it ain't serial....

    Its an Intel graphics card and checked the settings as you say under
    advanced. I will have another play around with it.

    Last time I restarted XP but not the notebook but will try again with a
    complete power down.

    M.

    Mark, Feb 12, 2006
  13. Rob J wrote:
    > If there is such an obvious lack, how do you explain basic concepts?

    If you find yourself unable to explain them, perhaps you are not quite as
    clever as you think you are.

    Mark Robinson, Feb 12, 2006
  14. Mark

    Rider Guest

    > The most basic requirement is that your TV can be detected by Windows.
    > Most cards on the market today will not enable a secondary display
    > unless Windows can detect it at startup. If you have a cable that
    > connects to the VGA connector, that should be tried with the power off
    > and then turn the power of the TV on first and then the laptop. If it is
    > detected, you should see pictures of two displays in Control Panel |
    > Display | Settings.
    >
    > If it is not detected, look for a setting in the Advanced section (often
    > under the hardware manufacturer's own extension to the Control Panel
    > display pages) that forces detection of a TV. The ability to do this or
    > the exact steps needed will vary depending on the brand of hardware
    > installed. Some types of hardware will not detect through an extension
    > cable or various types of switchbox.

    That was all you needed to post originally, without berating the OP.

    Rider

    Rider, Feb 12, 2006
  15. On , , Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:26:23 +1300, Re: Output display to LCD
    TV, Rob J <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:29:08 +1300, Rob J wrote:
    >>
    >> > In article <yCiHf.141456$>,
    >> > says...

    >> > Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
    >> > humph!)
    >> > Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
    >> > in Windows.
    >> >
    >> > On some laptops it has to be connected before turning the power on.

    >> OP politely posts a question, so you belittle him for his lack of knowledge
    >> and tell him to find someone knowledgable to answer it?
    >>
    >> (Well, duh!)
    >>
    >> Your post reeks of arsehole.

    >OK then - where is your morally superior answer to the original
    >questions?

    What's this "morally superior" crap?
    ---

    Running with scissors, Feb 13, 2006
  16. Mark

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in news:yCiHf.141456$vH5.1180391
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > Any help would be most welcome.

    Look for a driver and BIOS update. I know I had issues on my laptop until
    I set the screen to 640x480. I could then do all kinds of things, but it
    looked really bad.
    Look on HP specific forums, their site is not too bad once you find your
    exact model. Look on the left side of the web page.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 14, 2006