    I am wondering if some sort of Outlook ini file has been damaged by the
    crash. Any ideas people?

    thanks

    officehelp, Aug 18, 2003

  2. officehelp

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "officehelp" <> wrote in message
    news:qgX%a.119747$...
    > An office PC running NT4 WS had a mild crash while someone was reading

    an
    > email.
    >
    > After rebooting (which took some time) she has found that when she

    cuts and
    > pastes from Word97 to a new email in Outlook98, the formatting is all

    over
    > the place.
    >
    > I have changed the mail format from HTML to Word which made a slight
    > improvement but still changed the font and the font size. I changed

    back to
    > HTML and the messy formatting still comes up.
    >
    > I am wondering if some sort of Outlook ini file has been damaged by

    the
    > crash. Any ideas people?
    >
    > thanks

    No ini file as such -- but just to satisfy your curiosity, there are
    Outlook configuration files of various kinds for standard message forms
    and the like. Look for a file called "note.cfg" in your Office/Otlook
    folders. You should be able to view it as text, like an ini file, and
    if so then I'd leave it alone because it's probably fine and I know of
    no documentation for editing it. All the entires are either set by
    default during installation or through selection of various options in
    Outlook. In other words, I don't think there's anything you can fix
    there that you can't fix directly from the GUI. Other configuration
    options for Outlook will be stored in the Registry, but if everything
    else about Office/Outlook seems to be working as expected, then I'd
    discount the possibility of Registry corruption, which is rarely so
    specific.

    Are you using a custom template for your email messages? If so, a
    corrupted Outlook template file (*.oft) is a prime source for
    corruption. Try either replacing the template from a backup or
    re-building it. Better yet, first try replicating your fault in the
    standard message form. Go Tools | Forms | Choose Form, then select
    "Standard Templates"...Mail. You should see "mail.oft" greyed out.
    Unfortunately, if there's corruption here, you'll need to re-install
    Outlook.

    A related possibility is that the fault is in the Word template you
    use -- either the standard "normal.dot" or something customzied could be
    corrupted. Try pasting into Outlook from a document built from a
    different template. Again, the remedy would be to restore your
    template(s) from backup or rebuild them. To rebuild "normal.dot"
    temporaily in its default form, close Word, rename the existing file as
    "normal.saved" (or whatever) and then just restart Word, which will
    re-build everything itself. Then see if you can replicate the fault.

    Patrick Bold, Aug 18, 2003