    Does anyone know of a plugin that does the trick - in a similar fashion to
    Outlook Express? - of all the news readers I reckon that OE has the most
    friendly solution for news groups so looking to keep that style...

    Rupert, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Rupert

    colinco Guest

    In article <c1dnuc$k35$>, says...
    > Does anyone know of a plugin that does the trick - in a similar fashion to
    > Outlook Express? - of all the news readers I reckon that OE has the most
    > friendly solution for news groups so looking to keep that style..

    So whats your problem. MS uses OE as newsreader, you can use it or make
    another newsreader the default newsreader. The newsreader is external to
    Outlook.

    colinco, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Rupert

    Rupert Guest

    I don't want an external news reader - OE is great as in the same window you
    can flick between news groups and emails, I am hoping there is something
    similar I can install into Outlook...

    Rupert, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Rupert

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:49:51 +1300, Rupert wrote:

    > I don't want an external news reader - OE is great as in the same window
    > you can flick between news groups and emails, I am hoping there is
    > something similar I can install into Outlook...

    Don't be so quick to condemn an external news reader.

    A long time ago (back when I was a Windows user), I used OE for both mail
    and news until Exchange came along and I used Outlook for mail leaving OE
    just for news. Separating the two was a big improvement.

    I don't know if Outlook 2003 now keeps folder and message state (like
    Evolution does) better than the older versions, but when I used OE for
    both I always found it a pain switching between news and mail mode in
    the same app and losing where I was with each.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 23, 2004
  5. Rupert

    SNOman Guest

    Rupert wrote:
    > This is a sort of a re-post from a previous posting, but my question sort of
    > was not obvious given the subject of the posting....
    >
    > I'm using Outlook 2003 as my mail reader - mostly b/c of the spam protection
    > which has been 100% so far, however it's always been a frustration that MS
    > has never added a Usenet facility into Outlook - similar to Outlook Express.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a plugin that does the trick - in a similar fashion to
    > Outlook Express? - of all the news readers I reckon that OE has the most
    > friendly solution for news groups so looking to keep that style...

    If you are using Outlook standalone then I don't think so. If you're
    using it with exchange then sure.

    SNOman, Feb 24, 2004
  6. Rupert

    Peter S Guest

    "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    > I don't want an external news reader - OE is great as in the same window

    you
    > can flick between news groups and emails, I am hoping there is something
    > similar I can install into Outlook...
    >
    > "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <c1dnuc$k35$>, says...
    > > > Does anyone know of a plugin that does the trick - in a similar

    fashion
    > > > Outlook Express? - of all the news readers I reckon that OE has the

    most
    > > > friendly solution for news groups so looking to keep that style..
    > > >

    > > So whats your problem. MS uses OE as newsreader, you can use it or make
    > > another newsreader the default newsreader. The newsreader is external to
    > > Outlook.

    Outlook Express is Outlooks News reader. If you choose View/Goto/News in
    Outlook XP (not sure of 2003), it will start the system news reader.
    Normally this is Outlook Express, in which case Outlook kicks it off with a
    set of command line options that supress the email functionality of Outlook
    Express and only displays the news reader. If you click on the Outlook
    Express item in the folders pane in Outlook Express when it is kicked off
    this way, you see it displays as 'Outlook Newsreader'.

    Peter S, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Rupert

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <c1dnuc$k35$>, says...
    > This is a sort of a re-post from a previous posting, but my question sort of
    > was not obvious given the subject of the posting....
    >
    > I'm using Outlook 2003 as my mail reader - mostly b/c of the spam protection
    > which has been 100% so far, however it's always been a frustration that MS
    > has never added a Usenet facility into Outlook - similar to Outlook Express.

    Outlook News Reader comes with outlook.

    Mainlander, Feb 24, 2004