Outlook unread mail icon doesn't appear when I start Outlook in themorning

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by usenetdg@hotmail.com, Nov 15, 2007.

  1. Guest

    This concerns Outlook 2003 on an XP SP2 computer.

    When I start it on my office computer in the morning, it downloads new
    mail from the server, although the new mail desktop alert doesn't show
    up as they come in (why is that - I've always wondered - it shows up
    as new messages come in after my morning download).

    But, starting a couple days ago, the "unread mail" icon in the system
    tray doesn't show up in response to those newly-downloaded messages.
    It *does* show up throughout the day as new unread messages appear.

    The "show an envelope icon in the notification area" box is checked
    and has always been checked in my Outlook Advanced Email settings.
    I've also read something about "Customize Notifications" in the system
    tray area by the clock, looking for the "You have new unopened items"
    icon and setting it to "Always show" - but I have no such item in my
    notification list.

    Again, I get the unread mail icon as unread mail appears during an
    outlook session. But the icon stopped appearing upon new downloads of
    mail when starting Outlook, and I'd like to get the icon to appear
    again under those circumstances.
    , Nov 15, 2007

  2. Re: Outlook unread mail icon doesn't appear when I start Outlook in the morning

    mail that is downloaded before outlook is fully loaded may not trigger the
    alerts and rules may not work, so what you see is typical behavior.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Outlook Tips by email:

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], Nov 15, 2007

  3. John Holmes Guest

    Re: Outlook unread mail icon doesn't appear when I start Outlook in the morning

    Diane Poremsky [MVP] "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > mail that is downloaded before outlook is fully loaded may not trigger
    > the alerts and rules may not work, so what you see is typical
    > behavior.

    MVP, eh? PSML!!! You are just a top-poasting mad cow.

    --
    Your mother was a drivelling fool who worshipped teapots with other like-
    minded people.
    John Holmes, Nov 15, 2007