Outlook security

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:56:57 +1300, n wrote:

    > "Graeme" <> wrote in message
    >> yeah I know.....I'm playing with Mozilla. I just hate the way Microsoft
    >> is dictating to us!!! This is my PC and I want to decide how it's set up!!

    > Yeah and then when you double click on infect-me-now-virus.exe inside your
    > mailer you'll blame Microsoft too

    History proves this to be true.

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.

    Gordon, Oct 5, 2003

  2. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:43:52 +1300, Graeme wrote:

    > yeah I know.....I'm playing with Mozilla. I just hate the way Microsoft
    > is dictating to us!!! This is my PC and I want to decide how it's set up!!

    Try switching platforms. This includes lurkers.

    Gordon, Oct 5, 2003

  3. Gordon

    Graeme Guest

    Anyone enjoy our "friend" Bill Gates telling us what we can and can't
    download?? How do I turn off the security "feature" in Outlook 2002
    which prevents me receiving certain non-Microsoft attachments like .exe
    files or even sending web links....!!!!????? Of course you can receive
    ..doc or .xls or .ppt files (surprise surprise). Is this the part of
    Microsofts strategy to lock down everyones home computer so they can set
    us all up from Seattle? Started with product activation.....it's
    pretty obvious where where headed.....this coupled with the fact that
    they expect us to use the buggiest software in the world means we will
    all ditch MS and start using Linux etc.,!!!!

    Graeme, Oct 5, 2003
  4. Gordon

    Allistar Guest

    Graeme wrote:

    > Anyone enjoy our "friend" Bill Gates telling us what we can and can't
    > download?? How do I turn off the security "feature" in Outlook 2002
    > which prevents me receiving certain non-Microsoft attachments like .exe
    > files or even sending web links....!!!!????? Of course you can receive
    > .doc or .xls or .ppt files (surprise surprise). Is this the part of
    > Microsofts strategy to lock down everyones home computer so they can set
    > us all up from Seattle? Started with product activation.....it's
    > pretty obvious where where headed.....this coupled with the fact that
    > they expect us to use the buggiest software in the world means we will
    > all ditch MS and start using Linux etc.,!!!!

    You do have a choice not to use Outlook and one one of the hundreds of other
    email clients.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 5, 2003
  5. Gordon

    Graeme Guest

    Graeme, Oct 5, 2003
  6. Gordon

    steve Guest

    Graeme allegedly said:

    > Anyone enjoy our "friend" Bill Gates telling us what we can and can't
    > download?? How do I turn off the security "feature" in Outlook 2002
    > which prevents me receiving certain non-Microsoft attachments like .exe
    > files or even sending web links....!!!!????? Of course you can receive
    > .doc or .xls or .ppt files (surprise surprise). Is this the part of
    > Microsofts strategy to lock down everyones home computer so they can set
    > us all up from Seattle? Started with product activation.....it's
    > pretty obvious where where headed.....this coupled with the fact that
    > they expect us to use the buggiest software in the world means we will
    > all ditch MS and start using Linux etc.,!!!!

    So don't use Outlook.

    It's crap.

    Use.....well...anything else will do.

    'Evolution' on Linux is very nice.
    (Linux has several - KMail, Sylpheed, ....and the rest)

    On Windows:
    Pegasus Mail 4.12 is good. (Kiwi software it is, too).

    Eudora 5.2 is good - as ad-ware or paid software.

    steve, Oct 5, 2003
  7. Gordon

    n Guest

    "Graeme" <> wrote in message
    > yeah I know.....I'm playing with Mozilla. I just hate the way Microsoft
    > is dictating to us!!! This is my PC and I want to decide how it's set up!!

    Yeah and then when you double click on infect-me-now-virus.exe inside your
    mailer you'll blame Microsoft too

    dick

    n, Oct 5, 2003
  8. Gordon

    n Guest

    "Graeme" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone enjoy our "friend" Bill Gates telling us what we can and can't
    > download?? How do I turn off the security "feature" in Outlook 2002
    > which prevents me receiving certain non-Microsoft attachments like .exe
    > files or even sending web links....!!!!????? Of course you can receive
    > .doc or .xls or .ppt files (surprise surprise). Is this the part of
    > Microsofts strategy to lock down everyones home computer so they can set
    > us all up from Seattle? Started with product activation.....it's
    > pretty obvious where where headed.....this coupled with the fact that
    > they expect us to use the buggiest software in the world means we will
    > all ditch MS and start using Linux etc.,!!!!

    Damned if they do and damned if they don't aye? Thats Microsoft bashers for
    you

    2 seconds with a search engine could've found you the answer, less time that
    to type your drivel above bozo

    Here it is for you
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290497&product=ol2002

    why do I bother>

    n, Oct 5, 2003
  9. Gordon

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Graeme" wrote
    > Anyone enjoy our "friend" Bill Gates telling us what we can and can't
    > download??

    Rather than going all conspiricy theory on us, why didn't you just read the
    help file...

    Error message id 10 t

    T.N.O., Oct 5, 2003
  10. Gordon

    T.N.O. Guest

    "n" wrote
    > Damned if they do and damned if they don't aye? Thats Microsoft bashers

    for
    > you
    > 2 seconds with a search engine could've found you the answer, less time

    that
    > to type your drivel above bozo
    > Here it is for you
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290497&product=ol2002
    >
    > why do I bother

    because your a nice person... and you realise that morons need helping.

    T.N.O., Oct 5, 2003
  11. Gordon

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Graeme of Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:17 :
    > Anyone enjoy our "friend" Bill Gates telling us what we can and can't
    > download??

    Well, you should read this one about where it appears that MS is planning to
    take us ...
    http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html

    BTW I hope that is not your real email address that you posted with.

    Peter

    Peter, Oct 5, 2003
  12. Gordon

    Allistar Guest

    Graeme wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Graeme wrote:
    >>

    >>>Anyone enjoy our "friend" Bill Gates telling us what we can and can't
    >>>download?? How do I turn off the security "feature" in Outlook 2002
    >>>which prevents me receiving certain non-Microsoft attachments like .exe
    >>>files or even sending web links....!!!!????? Of course you can receive
    >>>.doc or .xls or .ppt files (surprise surprise). Is this the part of
    >>>Microsofts strategy to lock down everyones home computer so they can set
    >>> us all up from Seattle? Started with product activation.....it's
    >>>pretty obvious where where headed.....this coupled with the fact that
    >>>they expect us to use the buggiest software in the world means we will
    >>>all ditch MS and start using Linux etc.,!!!!

    >> You do have a choice not to use Outlook and one one of the hundreds of
    >> other email clients.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > yeah I know.....I'm playing with Mozilla. I just hate the way Microsoft
    > is dictating to us!!! This is my PC and I want to decide how it's set up!!

    If you hate the way MS dictates to you then do what I do, ditch MS products
    altogether, including their operating systems. This mesaage comes to you
    from KNode running on Mandrake 9.1.

    Regards,
    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 5, 2003
  13. Gordon

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Peter" wrote
    > Well, you should read this one about where it appears that MS is planning

    > take us ...
    > http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html

    wow, a bunch of opinion about some forward looking reports... it's on the
    internet, it must be true.

    T.N.O., Oct 5, 2003
  14. Gordon

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:43:52 +1300, Graeme wrote:

    > yeah I know.....I'm playing with Mozilla. I just hate the way Microsoft is
    > dictating to us!!! This is my PC and I want to decide how it's set up!!

    Have you tried using Ximian Evolution?

    It's an Outlook clone or those who don't want to run the risk of actually
    using Outlook.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Oct 5, 2003
  15. Gordon

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:47:54 +1300, steve wrote:

    > 'Evolution' on Linux is very nice.

    Absolutely!

    Very nice piece of Enterprise class software, IMHO.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Oct 5, 2003
  16. Gordon

    Ali P Guest

    "Graeme" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone enjoy our "friend" Bill Gates telling us what we can and can't
    > download?? How do I turn off the security "feature" in Outlook 2002
    > which prevents me receiving certain non-Microsoft attachments like .exe
    > files or even sending web links....!!!!????? Of course you can receive
    > .doc or .xls or .ppt files (surprise surprise). Is this the part of
    > Microsofts strategy to lock down everyones home computer so they can set
    > us all up from Seattle? Started with product activation.....it's
    > pretty obvious where where headed.....this coupled with the fact that
    > they expect us to use the buggiest software in the world means we will
    > all ditch MS and start using Linux etc.,!!!!

    That's quite a conspiracy theory you've cooked up there.
    For your info - mdb, ade, adp, wsh, vbs and a bunch of other Microsoft
    extensions are blocked as well whereas competitor's files such as Corel
    Office file extensions aren't blocked at all.
    Anyway, you can fix it by editing the registry or downloading a com add-in.
    I personally use Slovak's attachment options com add-in. Its donationware so
    you're not obligated to pay for it but you can if you want to.
    Have a look here ...
    http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm
    AL

    Ali P, Oct 5, 2003
  17. Gordon

    Rob Guest

    I just read the subject line, and snorted all over my kkkkkeyboard.

    Damn! Now the kkkkkkkk's stuck.

    Rob, Oct 5, 2003
  18. Gordon

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <pan.2003.10.05.09.09.03.512615@TRACKER>,
    lid says...
    > On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:43:52 +1300, Graeme wrote:
    >
    > > yeah I know.....I'm playing with Mozilla. I just hate the way Microsoft is
    > > dictating to us!!! This is my PC and I want to decide how it's set up!!

    > Have you tried using Ximian Evolution?
    >
    > It's an Outlook clone or those who don't want to run the risk of actually
    > using Outlook.

    So the best they can do is copy a successful high quality software
    product.

    Mainlander, Oct 5, 2003
  19. Gordon

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <tXMfb.168362$>,
    says...
    > Anyone enjoy our "friend" Bill Gates telling us what we can and can't
    > download?? How do I turn off the security "feature" in Outlook 2002
    > which prevents me receiving certain non-Microsoft attachments like .exe
    > files or even sending web links....!!!!?????

    Read the documentation and check the MS support site for information.

    Mainlander, Oct 5, 2003
  20. Gordon

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <_wNfb.168391$>, says...

    > "Graeme" <> wrote in message
    > > Anyone enjoy our "friend" Bill Gates telling us what we can and can't
    > > download?? How do I turn off the security "feature" in Outlook 2002
    > > which prevents me receiving certain non-Microsoft attachments like .exe
    > > files or even sending web links....!!!!????? Of course you can receive
    > > .doc or .xls or .ppt files (surprise surprise). Is this the part of
    > > Microsofts strategy to lock down everyones home computer so they can set
    > > us all up from Seattle? Started with product activation.....it's
    > > pretty obvious where where headed.....this coupled with the fact that
    > > they expect us to use the buggiest software in the world means we will
    > > all ditch MS and start using Linux etc.,!!!!

    > Damned if they do and damned if they don't aye? Thats Microsoft bashers for
    > you
    >
    > 2 seconds with a search engine could've found you the answer, less time that
    > to type your drivel above bozo
    >
    > Here it is for you
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290497&product=ol2002
    >
    > why do I bother>