    Any opinions on which program is best including ease of use. I have always
    used o.e. but thnking of changing. Outlook looks confusing, but I have only
    had a 2 second glance on another computer. Thank for any help.
    Fred, Sep 16, 2006

  2. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Outlook, outlook express or Thunderbird?

    "Fred" <> wrote in message
    > Any opinions on which program is best including ease of use. I have always
    > used o.e. but thnking of changing. Outlook looks confusing, but I have
    > only had a 2 second glance on another computer. Thank for any help.

    Forgot to mention o.s. is XP.>

    Fred, Sep 16, 2006

  3. Fred

    thanatoid Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in

    > Outlook, outlook express or Thunderbird?
    >
    > "Fred" <> wrote in message
    >> Any opinions on which program is best including ease of
    >> use. I have always used o.e. but thnking of changing.
    >> Outlook looks confusing, but I have only had a 2 second
    >> glance on another computer. Thank for any help.

    > Forgot to mention o.s. is XP.>

    (What is the difference between outlook and outlook express?
    AFAIK it's the same program, and major crap at that. Don't even
    MENTION Internet Explorer).

    For the web, get Opera.

    And a real mail client for non-web-mail and a real NG client for
    Usenet. Xnews is great but complex. GrabIt is very simple. Both
    free.

    Hundreds of free and not mail programs. Google.
    thanatoid, Sep 16, 2006
  4. Fred

    Jim S Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:52:17 +1200, Fred wrote:

    > Any opinions on which program is best including ease of use. I have always
    > used o.e. but thnking of changing. Outlook looks confusing, but I have only
    > had a 2 second glance on another computer. Thank for any help.

    I have all of these on my machine and if you have a strict security regime
    then Outlook can do so many things that it's a waste of resources not to use
    it.
    However if you don't know (or want to know) about security then Thunderbird
    is the one for you.

    Browsing is another thing altogether and from the security angle then
    Firefox is safe and coming from the same stable as Thunderbird, sits well
    with it.
    Opera browser is another safe option, but its email client was written by
    someone who obviously does not get much email as filing is nigh-on
    impossible.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Sep 16, 2006
  5. Fred

    Gordon Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message

    > (What is the difference between outlook and outlook express?
    > AFAIK it's the same program,

    Not at all. They are completely different, even down to the format of data
    file(s) used.
    Gordon, Sep 16, 2006
  6. Fred

    samuel Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in

    > Outlook, outlook express or Thunderbird?

    mozilla

    samuel, Sep 16, 2006
  7. Fred

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-16, Jim S <> wrote:

    snip

    > Opera browser is another safe option, but its email client was written by
    > someone who obviously does not get much email as filing is nigh-on
    > impossible.

    It doesn't use the 'put this letter in this pigeon-hole' model; instead
    you can classify each message in various ways and then use 'filters' to
    see only messages that have been classified in a particular way or ways.
    This is a lot more flexible than the traditional approach, and actually
    makes use of the power of modern computers instead of trying to copy the
    system that worked for clay tablets four thousand years ago ;))

    Opera's approach works quite well for email, once you get your head around
    it, (and I think has been imitated by Google for their Gmail) but isn't
    really usable for serious usenetting even though it can handle newsgroups
    to some extent.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 16, 2006
  8. Fred

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-16, Fred <> wrote:
    > Outlook, outlook express or Thunderbird?
    >
    > "Fred" <> wrote in message
    >> Any opinions on which program is best including ease of use. I have always
    >> used o.e. but thnking of changing. Outlook looks confusing, but I have
    >> only had a 2 second glance on another computer. Thank for any help.

    > Forgot to mention o.s. is XP.>

    Outlook is a lot more than an email program, and handles email somewhat
    differently from Outlook Express. It doesn't handle newsgroups at all; if
    you try to access neswgroups from within Outlook, it will fire up Outlook
    Express. I think Outlook is rather less risky than Outlook Express, and
    you might find that you like some of its other abilities. It will take
    some effort to learn all its features.

    Thunderbird is certainly safer than Outlook Express, and is fairly easy to
    learn how to use. It doesn't do all that Outlook does.

    There is a lot to be said for using seperate programs for newsgroups and
    email. The two things are really very different, and purpose-built
    programs tend to be better and more powerful. There are lots of dedicated
    newsreader programs for Windows XP, mostly free for personal use and most
    of them a lot better than OE or Thunderbird. Check out the newsgroup
    called news.software.readers.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 16, 2006
  9. Fred

    sittingduck Guest

    Fred wrote:

    > Any opinions on which program is best including ease of use. I have
    > always used o.e. but thnking of changing. Outlook looks confusing, but I
    > have only had a 2 second glance on another computer. Thank for any help.

    Mailwasher for initial mail handling, Outlook for what's left. Xnews for
    Usenet.

    Some Outlook tips below.

    --
    View All Messages in Plain Text

    If you are using Office XP SR1 update (does not work on earlier builds), you
    now have the ability to force all incoming messages to be displayed as plain
    text in both the preview pane and opened message form. This is done with a
    registry key that stops the HTML engine from rendering the content.

    Unlike other utilities, such as zapHTML or WYB, the message is not actually
    concevted to plain text (or RTF) and if you want to see it in HTML format,
    you can either remove the key or view it on another computer.

    The key is:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Options\Mail

    Add a DWORD of READASPLAIN=1

    Now all messages will be displayed as plain text.

    get rid of that annoying "To send mail, first check your mail with a valid
    POP3 accout" error message.
    go to the account page for your account, click "More
    Settings..." and select the "Outgoing Server" tab. On that page, check the
    box that says that your outgoing server requires authentication and then
    check the box to logon to your incoming server before sending mail.

    Show all the commands on menus

    On the Tools menu, click Customize, and then click the Options tab.
    Select the Always show full menus check box.
    sittingduck, Sep 16, 2006
  10. Fred

    AnonyMouse Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > Any opinions on which program is best including ease of use. I have always
    > used o.e. but thnking of changing. Outlook looks confusing, but I have only
    > had a 2 second glance on another computer. Thank for any help.

    I use Thunderbird for both mail and news--highly recommended.
    AnonyMouse, Sep 16, 2006
  11. Fred

    Duane Arnold Guest

    sittingduck wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    >

    >>Any opinions on which program is best including ease of use. I have
    >>always used o.e. but thnking of changing. Outlook looks confusing, but I
    >>have only had a 2 second glance on another computer. Thank for any help.

    > Mailwasher for initial mail handling, Outlook for what's left. Xnews for
    > Usenet.
    >
    > Some Outlook tips below.

    I use MW myself in front of Outlook when I use it and in front of OE,
    when using either one as the email client. I have used MW for years. I
    don't use the bounce feature. It's a good tool for killing emails at the
    POP3 server never letting them reach the machine. Outlook or OE are
    taken out of their sending and receiving emails on start-up or on a
    timed basis, which makes MW just that more effective for me.

    Tunderbird I use as the NG reader along with OE. They both have their
    pros and cons.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 16, 2006
  12. Fred wrote:
    > Any opinions on which program is best including ease of use. I have always
    > used o.e. but thnking of changing. Outlook looks confusing, but I have only
    > had a 2 second glance on another computer. Thank for any help.

    Thunderbird! FAST, EASY, FREE AND SAFER THAN OUTLOOK!
    senti-mental case, Sep 16, 2006
  13. Fred

    Jim S Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:32:49 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2006-09-16, Jim S <> wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >
    >> Opera browser is another safe option, but its email client was written by
    >> someone who obviously does not get much email as filing is nigh-on
    >> impossible.

    > It doesn't use the 'put this letter in this pigeon-hole' model; instead
    > you can classify each message in various ways and then use 'filters' to
    > see only messages that have been classified in a particular way or ways.
    > This is a lot more flexible than the traditional approach, and actually
    > makes use of the power of modern computers instead of trying to copy the
    > system that worked for clay tablets four thousand years ago ;))
    >
    > Opera's approach works quite well for email, once you get your head around
    > it, (and I think has been imitated by Google for their Gmail) but isn't
    > really usable for serious usenetting even though it can handle newsgroups
    > to some extent.

    To each his own I suppose. I keep all emails from friends and relatives in
    folders with their name, and that suits me.
    BTW I would none of the OP's options for newsreading. I use 40tude Dialog,
    but could just as easily use Xnews
    I truth be told I don't use FF and TB either, but Seamonkey, however its a
    bit if a phart to set it up.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Sep 16, 2006
  14. Fred

    sittingduck Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > Mailwasher's bounce feature is useless, and it spams.

    While I would agree that it's definitely not to be used regularly, it can be
    handy if you know exactly to whom you are bouncing.
    Discounting it completely is just ignorant.
    sittingduck, Sep 16, 2006
  15. Fred

    Johno Guest

    I would stay away from thunderbird as sometimes it will delete all your
    data, its a known bug so unless you are one of these people who always backs
    up his data then stick with outlook express.

    Johno, Sep 16, 2006
  16. Fred

    thanatoid Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> (What is the difference between outlook and outlook
    >> express? AFAIK it's the same program,

    > Not at all. They are completely different, even down to the
    > format of data file(s) used.

    Are we talking about 2 MS products or is there someone else
    making something called outlook? If it's 2 versions of a MS
    program, however "completely different", the term is highly
    arguable, since they are both crap by definition.

    I do recall something called "outlook" about 10 years ago, but
    since I would never use any MS products for the internet, I have
    not paid any attention to it, or to the "improved version" which
    I would assume o.express is.
    thanatoid, Sep 16, 2006
  17. Johno wrote:

    > I would stay away from thunderbird as sometimes it will delete all
    > your data, its a known bug so unless you are one of these people who
    > always backs up his data then stick with outlook express.

    While some users could certainly shoot themselves in the foot, I've been
    using Thunderbird since version 0.2 and I still have all my data.

    It is currently on version 1.5.0.7 and is quite stable.

    There is one possibility ... that applies to other email clients as well
    .... where the data is stored in a continuous file, and you have an
    anti-virus program that misbehaves, and you tell it to delete a virus it
    found, and it deletes the whole file.

    That is not the fault of the email client.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 16, 2006
  18. Fred

    Johno Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" - i am talking about a specfic problem with
    mozilla products as what happens is you can load up firefox and all your
    bookmarks have vanished, you can load up thunderbird and all your settings
    and mails have just vanished, these are know bugs which happen to alot of
    users yet most have no problemsm, check out the mozilla forums and you will
    see.

    Johno, Sep 16, 2006
  19. Johno wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> Johno wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would stay away from thunderbird as sometimes it will delete all
    >>> your data, its a known bug so unless you are one of these people
    >>> who always backs up his data then stick with outlook express.

    >> While some users could certainly shoot themselves in the foot, I've
    >> been using Thunderbird since version 0.2 and I still have all my
    >> data.
    >>
    >> It is currently on version 1.5.0.7 and is quite stable.
    >>
    >> There is one possibility ... that applies to other email clients as
    >> well ... where the data is stored in a continuous file, and you have
    >> an anti-virus program that misbehaves, and you tell it to delete a
    >> virus it found, and it deletes the whole file.
    >>
    >> That is not the fault of the email client.

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" - i am talking about a specfic problem with
    > mozilla products as what happens is you can load up firefox and all
    > your bookmarks have vanished, you can load up thunderbird and all
    > your settings and mails have just vanished,

    Can you provide a link to one of these? I googled a bit, and came up
    with several pages that say something along the lines of "I was trying a
    new extension and my bookmarks disappeared" or similar.

    > these are know bugs which happen to alot of users yet most have no
    > problemsm, check out the mozilla forums and you will see.

    Reports of these bugs apparently haven't been published in any group I
    read...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 16, 2006
  20. Fred

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:17:46 -0700, sittingduck
    <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >
    >> Mailwasher's bounce feature is useless, and it spams.

    >While I would agree that it's definitely not to be used regularly, it can be
    >handy if you know exactly to whom you are bouncing.
    >Discounting it completely is just ignorant.

    And so your advice, here, in this world-wide newsgroup populated mostly with
    newbies who couldn't tell an IP address from a hole in the ground, is that using
    Mailwasher's feature is ok? Posters who *aren't* going to know exactly who the
    spam, etc., comes from? But of course you don't bother to tell them how. Do you
    even know yourself? If a spammer on Earthlink sends a spam with a forged address
    of a real Earthlink user, do *you* know how to tell which is real and which
    isn't?

    I didn't think so. Pot, meet the black kettle. Enjoy each other. :)

    --
    Far be it for me to introduce facts and reason to the willfully blind
    and ignorant. I leave thee to thy bliss. --LA, nanae
    Mara, Sep 17, 2006