    Does anyone else have this experience?

    ProfFrank
    , Apr 15, 2005

  2. wrote:

    <snip MS client blues>

    > Does anyone else have this experience?

    I note that you're clued enough to be using a non-MS news client. Look
    into some non-MS email clients, as well. You might want to start with
    PegasusMail: http://pmail.com

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Now killing all posts originating at GoogleGroups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 15, 2005

  3. JANA Guest

    You answered your own question in the last paragraph. These new softwares
    work best when used with computers that are very up to date, and have
    adequate resources.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    <> wrote in message
    I recently upgraded Microsoft Office to 2003 from '97, and decided to
    install Outlook, which I didn't use before. Until now, I have used Outlook
    Express as my mail client.

    I find Outlook to be oppressively slow. It takes 50% longer or more to load
    than OE, and when switching mail folders, it may take up to ten seconds just
    to locate and display the newly selected message. Opening a new mail message
    is much slower than with OE as well.

    I have surmised that it might be generally just the extra memory needed to
    run Outlook, which after all includes many more features as well as the
    Business Manager, which I decided to install also, and which works in
    conjunction with Outlook. Perhaps the demands on my system, which is a
    little bit old (900mhz, 256mb memory) are just too much for it to run
    quickly. I'm about to go back to OE to reduce frustration from waiting,
    waiting, waiting.

    JANA, Apr 15, 2005
  4. MrGrumpy Guest

    Ensure the 'check for mail' setting is NOT less than 10 mins, any less is a
    resource hog and will give rise to problems.
    Must confess I've never experienced a delay in switching folders/msgs and I
    used OL97/OL2K on a slower cpu with same memory.
    You perhaps might want to check the performance meter (Task mngr) whilst
    running OL There is an MS kb article on OL useing exccessive cpu, though I'm
    unsure whether it includes OL2003

    MrGrumpy, Apr 15, 2005
  5. Guest

    Very helpful suggestions, those who responded. Thanks. I'll check out the
    possibilities.
    , Apr 17, 2005