    Tired renaming Mapi files then reinstalling office.

    Created a new pst, imported data from original pst. Did not fix.

    Anyone seen this before?
    Randy, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Randy

    Randy Guest

    On further review, I have found an email in the outbox that
    will not allow me to delete it.

    I have tried several things but no joy on that as yet.

    Nothing in MS Knowledge Base that addresses this.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Randy, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Randy

    Randy Guest

    Have solved the problem.

    MS B # 264745 discusses Outlook 2000 having a problem permanently deleting
    delayed delivery messages in the Outbox. While i could not directly delete
    the message in Outlook 2000, connected the pst file to a system using
    Outlook 2003.
    Was able to delete the offending email completely in that version.

    Reinstalled the pst to the original system. Also, had to go into mail
    properties and remove the Outlook Address Book and Re-Add it.

    Is working fine now.

    Randy, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Randy

    Tx Guest

    What I have ended up discovering is that One of my folks somehow forwarded
    an email Infected with the MyDoom / Novarg virus.

    Once in the Outbox, it basically ties up the Mapi Service trying to send the
    email to the SMTP server. The Cpu usage goes through the ceiling, averaging
    about 98%.

    Additionally, you cannot simply delete it from the Outbox. The system
    doesn't respond to any delete actions whether keyboard or Mouse based.

    After uninstalling MS Office, wiping Mapi files, and reinstalling, I ended
    up at the same place.

    That is when I discovered the problem seems to lie in how Outlook 2000
    handles outgoing mail.

    So I brought the offending pst file to my system and opened it in Outlook
    2003 which I am testing.

    I was able to delete the infected email from the Outbox and Deleted folder
    without any problem.

    I then copied the pst file back to the original System and fired up their
    Outlook. Worked just fine.

    In one instance, I had to play with the contact service, removing it and
    adding back. All the other Systems had no problem at all.

    Sorry about being so long winded. Hope this helps.

    Tx, Jan 29, 2004
  5. Randy

    Tx, Jan 29, 2004