    how do i stop this, and set it back to there original settings.

    tia

    Phil
    phil, Jul 8, 2005

  2. phil

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:15:48 +0100, "phil"
    <phil@bradley(1)0007.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >i used to use wanadoo as my isp, but now use a new isp, but when i open
    >outlook express, and i.e i see there icons, and in outlooks case, adverts
    >they put too it.

    Huh?

    Evan Platt, Jul 8, 2005

  3. phil

    old jon Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:15:48 +0100, "phil"
    > <phil@bradley(1)0007.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>i used to use wanadoo as my isp, but now use a new isp, but when i open
    >>outlook express, and i.e i see there icons, and in outlooks case, adverts
    >>they put too it.

    > Huh?

    Well. I can`t understand him, why can`t you too. innit ?.

    old jon, Jul 8, 2005
  4. phil

    phil Guest

    i feel as tho i have not explained myself enough.......

    when i open outlook express i have 3 box's. ............

    ....... with me so far?

    box 1 has ....... (the top of the screen)

    ........ (in the in box)

    a list of e-mail's. with 3 columns.( from/subject/received).

    (from now on we will call the e-mail's in the box at the top of the screen
    BOX 1).

    below that i have another box.

    (the content of this box will now be forever known as BOX 2)

    in box 2, the content of the highlighted e-mail in BOX 1.

    below (BOX 2) is another.............(box)...for the purpose of this post,
    and not to confuse any one else we shall call this box

    (the box with know name)

    in (the box with no name.) (at the bottom of my screen) (below both box 1
    AND box 2) i have a search bar, and an advertisement which at the moment
    says "Argos.co.uk"

    if i click on said link it takes me to .................. bla bla ......
    bla! (the moon and back ..... maybe?)

    i would like to know how i could get rid of (the box with no name) all
    together, and at best to remove the Spam i receive from an isp i am no
    longer registered to, or use.

    excuse my sarcasm,

    lowest form of wit. but hopefully i will get a (PROPER) answer.

    thanks for your time.

    Phil

    phil, Jul 9, 2005
  5. phil

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Allow me to make a few observations.

    1) It would be very helpful if you were to write your posts using full,
    complete sentences. Punctuate. Capitalize. In other words, make your post
    *readable*. Good communication skills are very helpful in terms of conveying
    the problem you are experiencing, and soliciting for assistance.

    2) In Outlook Express, TURN OFF BOX 2. As you describe it, it is the Preview
    Pane. It is very risky to use the preview pane, due to the fact that you
    have no control over malicious software from running when it it
    automatically previewed (opened). To do this, click on the Inbox (folders
    list), then click on View (menu), Layout, and finally click the button in
    front of "Show preview pane" to turn it off.

    3) Most "search bars" such as you described as the "box with know (sic)
    name" can be removed from Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. See what you
    can find there that is suspicious. Another thing to check into is branding -
    see the following information:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm

    Good luck!

    Toolman Tim, Jul 9, 2005
  6. phil

    trout Guest

    phil wrote:
    > i used to use wanadoo as my isp, but now use a new isp, but when i
    > open outlook express, and i.e i see there icons, and in outlooks
    > case, adverts they put too it.
    >
    > how do i stop this, and set it back to there original settings.
    >
    > tia
    >
    > Phil

    There are rather a few programs that will incidentally allow you to
    *retitle* OE (like SpywareBlaster, for example), and there are some OE
    add-ons that can be removed with a program like that, or even from
    Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel. Some ISP-specific add-ons will
    have an 'uninstaller' available on their site. OE is integrated to the
    point where you also need to strip IE to get rid of all the branding.
    I'd start by stripping it with this (safe to use) VB script:
    http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/unbrand.htm
    Run that to strip the 'branding', and make sure to use a decent
    pop-up blocker, and anti-spyware/trojan applications.
    --
    See what's left. Ask for more help as required.
    trout, Jul 9, 2005