    but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
    please?
    pete

    Peter Turtill, May 24, 2009

  2. Peter Turtill

    rf Guest

    Peter Turtill wrote:
    > When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
    > by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
    > by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
    > but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
    > please?
    > pete

    Press the insert key.

    rf, May 24, 2009

  3. On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:49:49 +0100, Martin Jay
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:36:22 +0100, Peter Turtill <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
    >>by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
    >>by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
    >>but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
    >>please?

    >Press the Insert key.
    >
    >It's an age old problem. If you accidentally hit the Insert key
    >windows toggles into overwrite mode.

    Yep that fixed it thank you.

    pete
    http://www.oss.org.uk

    Peter Turtill, May 24, 2009
  4. On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:08:53 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    >Peter Turtill wrote:
    >> When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
    >> by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
    >> by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
    >> but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
    >> please?
    >> pete

    >Press the insert key.

    Done. Fixed. Many thanks.

    pete
    http://www.oss.org.uk

    Peter Turtill, May 24, 2009
  5. Peter Turtill

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>, Martin Jay
    <> writes
    >On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:36:22 +0100, Peter Turtill <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
    >>by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
    >>by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
    >>but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
    >>please?

    >Press the Insert key.
    >
    >It's an age old problem. If you accidentally hit the Insert key
    >windows toggles into overwrite mode.

    I find that, occasionally, this seems to happen spontaneously
    (regardless of what you're typing). It normally waits for you to be
    concentrating on the keyboard, and not checking what you have typed.

    If you're typing using Word, Open Office and various other things,
    there's an 'information bar' (which appears above the task bar) at the
    bottom of the screen, and a little field shows 'OVR' (Word) or
    INSRT/OVER (OO) depending on whether you've hit the 'Insert' key or not.
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, May 24, 2009
  6. Peter Turtill

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "nobody >" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Turtill wrote:
    >> When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
    >> by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
    >> by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
    >> but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
    >> please?
    >> pete

    > Hit the "insert" key just before correction.

    Or save the message to Drafts, then open it and carry on.
    Seems that the longer the message is the more this happens.

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, May 25, 2009
  7. Peter Turtill

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <E2xSl.33676$>, Mr Pounder
    <> writes

    >"nobody >" <> wrote in message
    >> Peter Turtill wrote:
    >>> When I compose a mail using OE I am suddenly unable to correct a word
    >>> by inserting a missing letter without the next letter being swallowed
    >>> by the added letter. Obviously I have changed the settings some how
    >>> but I cannot discover what I have done. How can I correct this issue
    >>> please?
    >>> pete

    >> Hit the "insert" key just before correction.

    >Or save the message to Drafts, then open it and carry on.
    >Seems that the longer the message is the more this happens.

    By all means regularly save work-in-progress (eg WIP1.doc, WIP2.doc
    etc), until you are satisfied with the finished article, then bin all
    those you don't want. However, why on earth would you want to save it
    when all that is necessary is to press the 'Insert' key?
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, May 25, 2009
  8. Peter Turtill

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Ian Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > In message <E2xSl.33676$>, Mr Pounder
    > <> writes
    >>
    >>"nobody >" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Hit the "insert" key just before correction.

    >>Or save the message to Drafts, then open it and carry on.
    >>Seems that the longer the message is the more this happens.
    >>

    > By all means regularly save work-in-progress (eg WIP1.doc, WIP2.doc etc),
    > until you are satisfied with the finished article, then bin all those you
    > don't want. However, why on earth would you want to save it when all that
    > is necessary is to press the 'Insert' key?
    > --
    > Ian

    The Insert key does not always work in my experience.
    Saving the work to Drafts always works.

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, May 25, 2009
  9. Peter Turtill

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <jWzSl.33761$>, Mr Pounder
    <> writes

    >"Ian Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >> In message <E2xSl.33676$>, Mr Pounder
    >> <> writes
    >>>
    >>>"nobody >" <> wrote in message

    >>>Or save the message to Drafts, then open it and carry on.
    >>>Seems that the longer the message is the more this happens.
    >>>

    >> By all means regularly save work-in-progress (eg WIP1.doc, WIP2.doc etc),
    >> until you are satisfied with the finished article, then bin all those you
    >> don't want. However, why on earth would you want to save it when all that
    >> is necessary is to press the 'Insert' key?
    >> --
    >> Ian

    >The Insert key does not always work in my experience.
    >Saving the work to Drafts always works.

    Well, THAT is weird!
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, May 25, 2009
  10. Peter Turtill

    > In message <jWzSl.33761$>, Mr Pounder
    > <> writes
    >>
    >>"Ian Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >>> In message <E2xSl.33676$>, Mr Pounder
    >>> <> writes

    >>> By all means regularly save work-in-progress (eg WIP1.doc, WIP2.doc
    >>> etc),
    >>> until you are satisfied with the finished article, then bin all those
    >>> you
    >>> don't want. However, why on earth would you want to save it when all
    >>> that
    >>> is necessary is to press the 'Insert' key?
    >>> --
    >>> Ian

    >>The Insert key does not always work in my experience.
    >>Saving the work to Drafts always works.
    >>

    > Well, THAT is weird!
    > --
    > Ian

    Yes it is, but it works.
    I have found the problem to be worse when replying to long threads.

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, May 26, 2009
  11. Peter Turtill

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Martin Jay" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:16:46 +0100, Ian Jackson
    > <> wrote:
    >>In message <E2xSl.33676$>, Mr Pounder
    >><> writes
    >>>"nobody >" <> wrote in message

    >>>Or save the message to Drafts, then open it and carry on.
    >>>Seems that the longer the message is the more this happens.

    > Perhaps that's because we're more likely to accidentally hit the
    > 'insert' key while typing a long message.
    >
    >>By all means regularly save work-in-progress (eg WIP1.doc, WIP2.doc
    >>etc), until you are satisfied with the finished article, then bin all
    >>those you don't want. However, why on earth would you want to save it
    >>when all that is necessary is to press the 'Insert' key?

    > I don't use Outlook Express, but I guess this sets it back to the
    > default 'insert' typing mode.
    >
    > It does seem a rather convoluted solution to the problem, but if it
    > works... :)
    > --
    > Martin Jay

    It only takes a few seconds to save and reopen.

    Steve

    Mr Pounder, May 26, 2009