Outlook Express

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Wyn, May 18, 2004.

  1. Wyn

    Wyn Guest

    Hi folks,

    Outlook Express 600.2800.1123 - In Tools/ Options/Spelling there is a
    check box for:

    "When checking spelling always ignore - the original text in a reply or
    forward."

    Why do they bother to give this option? My OE *never* spell checks a
    Reply (dunno about Forward, I rarely use it). The only way I can get it
    spell checked is to open it when it is in the outbox and hit the Send
    button, but when I do this the bloody spell checker proceeds to spell
    check the original text as well.

    Am I missing something?

    As far as I can remember OE has always had this flaw. I would have
    thought that MS would have corrected it by now.

    BTW don't bother to ask why I am using OE. It's called inertia. I had a
    look at Calypso and quite liked it but the only spell checkers that I
    could find for it were in US English.

    Ta.

    Wyn

    Wyn, May 18, 2004

  2. Wyn

    EMB Guest

    In news:HTjqc.2812$,
    Wyn <> expelled:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Outlook Express 600.2800.1123 - In Tools/ Options/Spelling there is a
    > check box for:
    >
    > "When checking spelling always ignore - the original text in a reply
    > or forward."
    >
    > Why do they bother to give this option? My OE *never* spell checks a
    > Reply (dunno about Forward, I rarely use it). The only way I can get
    > it spell checked is to open it when it is in the outbox and hit the
    > Send button, but when I do this the bloody spell checker proceeds to
    > spell check the original text as well.
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    >
    > As far as I can remember OE has always had this flaw. I would have
    > thought that MS would have corrected it by now.

    Just checked on the same version and it only occurs when using OEQuotefix!

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, May 18, 2004

  3. Wyn

    Wyn Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > In news:HTjqc.2812$,
    > Wyn <> expelled:
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > Outlook Express 600.2800.1123 - In Tools/ Options/Spelling there is

    > > check box for:
    > >
    > > "When checking spelling always ignore - the original text in a reply
    > > or forward."
    > >
    > > Why do they bother to give this option? My OE *never* spell checks a
    > > Reply (dunno about Forward, I rarely use it). The only way I can get
    > > it spell checked is to open it when it is in the outbox and hit the
    > > Send button, but when I do this the bloody spell checker proceeds to
    > > spell check the original text as well.
    > >
    > > Am I missing something?
    > >
    > > As far as I can remember OE has always had this flaw. I would have
    > > thought that MS would have corrected it by now.
    > >

    > Just checked on the same version and it only occurs when using

    OEQuotefix!

    Yes, you're right. I uninstalled Quotefix, but OE still doesn't spell
    check when there is a reply which is interleaved with quoted text in
    paragraphs unless part of the reply is in the top line.. There are still
    occasions when it spell checks quoted text also but I haven't determined
    when this occurs.

    I am reluctant to abandon Quotefix and I have d/loaded the latest
    version and see if that makes any difference.

    Thanks,

    Wyn

    Wyn, May 19, 2004
  4. Wyn

    EMB Guest

    In news:DTwqc.2922$,
    Wyn <> expelled:

    > Yes, you're right. I uninstalled Quotefix, but OE still doesn't spell
    > check when there is a reply which is interleaved with quoted text in
    > paragraphs unless part of the reply is in the top line.. There are
    > still occasions when it spell checks quoted text also but I haven't
    > determined when this occurs.
    >
    > I am reluctant to abandon Quotefix and I have d/loaded the latest
    > version and see if that makes any difference.

    It only checks new text at the top of the post (before the first quoted
    text) so far as I can tell.

    EMB, May 19, 2004
  5. In article <DTwqc.2922$>,
    says...

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > > In news:HTjqc.2812$,
    > > Wyn <> expelled:
    > > > Hi folks,
    > > >
    > > > Outlook Express 600.2800.1123 - In Tools/ Options/Spelling there is

    > > > check box for:
    > > >
    > > > "When checking spelling always ignore - the original text in a reply
    > > > or forward."
    > > >
    > > > Why do they bother to give this option? My OE *never* spell checks a
    > > > Reply (dunno about Forward, I rarely use it). The only way I can get
    > > > it spell checked is to open it when it is in the outbox and hit the
    > > > Send button, but when I do this the bloody spell checker proceeds to
    > > > spell check the original text as well.
    > > >
    > > > Am I missing something?
    > > >
    > > > As far as I can remember OE has always had this flaw. I would have
    > > > thought that MS would have corrected it by now.
    > > >

    > > Just checked on the same version and it only occurs when using

    > OEQuotefix!
    >
    > Yes, you're right. I uninstalled Quotefix, but OE still doesn't spell
    > check when there is a reply which is interleaved with quoted text in
    > paragraphs unless part of the reply is in the top line.. There are still
    > occasions when it spell checks quoted text also but I haven't determined
    > when this occurs.
    >
    > I am reluctant to abandon Quotefix and I have d/loaded the latest
    > version and see if that makes any difference.

    Just get a better newsreader

    Patrick Dunford, May 19, 2004