    glance at the computer and doesn't notice the mail icon. Is there a
    way to make Outlook Express become the active window and pop up over
    any other open windows when a new email is received?
    Mark, Aug 14, 2007

  2. Mark

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Mark added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > A work contact of mine likes to listen to music on his pc when
    > he's in the office and doesn't hear the new email *ding* when
    > a new email arrives. A lot of times when he's busy with
    > paperwork he'll just glance at the computer and doesn't notice
    > the mail icon. Is there a way to make Outlook Express become
    > the active window and pop up over any other open windows when
    > a new email is received?

    a) if your friend has his music so loud he can't hear a work-
    related E-mail coming in, then he's not doing his job but b) there
    IS another way - it is called dilligence.

    I was a major user of Lotus Notes as both a very powerful E-mail
    client - far, far more than anything Bill Gates has even dreamed of
    - as well as a powerful GUI DBMS. It, too, COULD ding when I got
    mail and did display an icon. I simply checked my mail when I got
    back from meetings, worked fine. But, if I were in my office for
    long periods of time doing other things - work related, I had a
    strong philosophy as both a manager and a technie to do ONLY work-
    related things on the company's PC - I would simply take 30 seconds
    out from what I was doing and check my E-mail. If your friend's job
    depends on getting immediate access to customer's or superior's E-
    mails, then he needs to get focused on that, and less so listening
    to music, especially if using headphones which entirely mask out
    not only PC dings but possibly even his boss stanind outside his
    cubicle.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry
    HEMI-Powered, Aug 14, 2007

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On Aug 14, 8:23 am, "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote:
    > Mark added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
    >
    > > A work contact of mine likes to listen to music on his pc when
    > > he's in the office and doesn't hear the new email *ding* when
    > > a new email arrives. A lot of times when he's busy with
    > > paperwork he'll just glance at the computer and doesn't notice
    > > the mail icon. Is there a way to make Outlook Express become
    > > the active window and pop up over any other open windows when
    > > a new email is received?

    > a) if your friend has his music so loud he can't hear a work-
    > related E-mail coming in, then he's not doing his job but b) there
    > IS another way - it is called dilligence.
    >
    > I was a major user of Lotus Notes as both a very powerful E-mail
    > client - far, far more than anything Bill Gates has even dreamed of
    > - as well as a powerful GUI DBMS. It, too, COULD ding when I got
    > mail and did display an icon. I simply checked my mail when I got
    > back from meetings, worked fine. But, if I were in my office for
    > long periods of time doing other things - work related, I had a
    > strong philosophy as both a manager and a technie to do ONLY work-
    > related things on the company's PC - I would simply take 30 seconds
    > out from what I was doing and check my E-mail. If your friend's job
    > depends on getting immediate access to customer's or superior's E-
    > mails, then he needs to get focused on that, and less so listening
    > to music, especially if using headphones which entirely mask out
    > not only PC dings but possibly even his boss stanind outside his
    > cubicle.
    >
    > --
    > HP, aka Jerry

    Well I appreciate the verbal spanking you've applied, but you don't
    know the situation so I don't see how you can make a comment like
    that.

    Anyway, your perceived faults having been noted, my original question
    still stands.
    Mark, Aug 14, 2007
  4. Mark

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Mark added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    >> > A work contact of mine likes to listen to music on his pc
    >> > when he's in the office and doesn't hear the new email
    >> > *ding* when a new email arrives. A lot of times when he's
    >> > busy with paperwork he'll just glance at the computer and
    >> > doesn't notice the mail icon. Is there a way to make
    >> > Outlook Express become the active window and pop up over
    >> > any other open windows when a new email is received?

    >> a) if your friend has his music so loud he can't hear a work-
    >> related E-mail coming in, then he's not doing his job but b)
    >> there IS another way - it is called dilligence.
    >>
    >> I was a major user of Lotus Notes as both a very powerful
    >> E-mail client - far, far more than anything Bill Gates has
    >> even dreamed of - as well as a powerful GUI DBMS. It, too,
    >> COULD ding when I got mail and did display an icon. I simply
    >> checked my mail when I got back from meetings, worked fine.
    >> But, if I were in my office for long periods of time doing
    >> other things - work related, I had a strong philosophy as
    >> both a manager and a technie to do ONLY work- related things
    >> on the company's PC - I would simply take 30 seconds out from
    >> what I was doing and check my E-mail. If your friend's job
    >> depends on getting immediate access to customer's or
    >> superior's E- mails, then he needs to get focused on that,
    >> and less so listening to music, especially if using
    >> headphones which entirely mask out not only PC dings but
    >> possibly even his boss stanind outside his cubicle.
    >>

    > Well I appreciate the verbal spanking you've applied, but you
    > don't know the situation so I don't see how you can make a
    > comment like that.
    >
    > Anyway, your perceived faults having been noted, my original
    > question still stands.

    I didn't give you a "verbal spanking", I gave you and your friend
    sound advice so he keeps his job. You see, companies these days
    have this romantic notion that you work on their time and they
    strongly believe that you use their HW and SW only for company
    business. The courts have univerally ruled that employees enjoy
    no express or implied rights to privacy on ANY company system,
    and background snooping of what you do on their systems or phone
    without your permission is fully approved.

    I don't know the answer to your question, but you don't seem
    willing to advise your friend to work wise - IMO, that is - so it
    is pointless to continue this. I'm sure that some OE guru will
    come along and bail out your friend so he can listen to his fav
    tunes instead of doing his job. And, please don't insult my
    intelligence by saying that people can multitask and get in tune
    with their tunes and work effectively at the same time. And,
    Mark, I stand my my "judgment" that if incoming E-mail is all
    that important to your friend, then HE ought to take steps to
    acknowledge incoming mail regularly and NOT look for easy work-
    arounds to a Windows non-problem.

    Mark, lest you think I am entirely judgmental and a horse's ass,
    let me tell you that my daughter is a security analyst for Kelly
    Systems and I cannot get HER to understand what I'm saying.
    People disappear in the night if it is even suspected by an
    employer that they are kiting on the job. I'd like my daughter,
    who is 28 and should know better but doesn't, that it is not,
    not, to know that it is NOT a good idea to pay your bills on
    company time, surf the web, read your E-mail or - Gasp! - upload
    your vacation digitals to Meijer for printing, all with the
    company's system. Again, they have this romantic notion that the
    bandwidth of their Internet service is for their use and that of
    their customers.

    Again, have a great day and I hope you friend keeps his job! BTW,
    in today's world of tough competition from "globalization" and
    its accompanying ever more onerous corporate restructurings, it
    is NOT a good time to give an employer ANY excuse you can your
    butt or discipline you for an infraction of their personnel
    policies.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry
    HEMI-Powered, Aug 14, 2007
  5. Mark

    RainKingKC Guest

    On Aug 14, 8:40 am, Mark <> wrote:
    > On Aug 14, 8:23 am, "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Mark added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > > > A work contact of mine likes to listen to music on his pc when
    > > > he's in the office and doesn't hear the new email *ding* when
    > > > a new email arrives. A lot of times when he's busy with
    > > > paperwork he'll just glance at the computer and doesn't notice
    > > > the mail icon. Is there a way to make Outlook Express become
    > > > the active window and pop up over any other open windows when
    > > > a new email is received?

    > > a) if your friend has his music so loud he can't hear a work-
    > > related E-mail coming in, then he's not doing his job but b) there
    > > IS another way - it is called dilligence.

    > > I was a major user of Lotus Notes as both a very powerful E-mail
    > > client - far, far more than anything Bill Gates has even dreamed of
    > > - as well as a powerful GUI DBMS. It, too, COULD ding when I got
    > > mail and did display an icon. I simply checked my mail when I got
    > > back from meetings, worked fine. But, if I were in my office for
    > > long periods of time doing other things - work related, I had a
    > > strong philosophy as both a manager and a technie to do ONLY work-
    > > related things on the company's PC - I would simply take 30 seconds
    > > out from what I was doing and check my E-mail. If your friend's job
    > > depends on getting immediate access to customer's or superior's E-
    > > mails, then he needs to get focused on that, and less so listening
    > > to music, especially if using headphones which entirely mask out
    > > not only PC dings but possibly even his boss stanind outside his
    > > cubicle.

    > > --
    > > HP, aka Jerry

    > Well I appreciate the verbal spanking you've applied, but you don't
    > know the situation so I don't see how you can make a comment like
    > that.
    >
    > Anyway, your perceived faults having been noted, my original question
    > still stands.- Hide quoted text -

    The sound properties in your Control Panel will go far with your
    friend's issue. Have you friend change the alert whenever he receives
    an incoming Outlook message by going into the Sounds and Audio Devices
    in the Control Panel.

    Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds Tab

    The the "Program Event" window, scroll down to "New Mail Notification"
    under the category Windows. Change it to something distinct that he
    can differentiate between while listening to his music and it should
    be a non-issue.

    Advice is free. Verbal spankings go about a dime a dozen. :p Good
    luck.
    RainKingKC, Aug 14, 2007
  6. Mark

    RainKingKC Guest

    On Aug 14, 9:06 am, "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > People disappear in the night if it is even suspected by an
    > employer that they are kiting on the job. I'd like my daughter,
    > who is 28 and should know better but doesn't, that it is not,
    > not, to know that it is NOT a good idea to pay your bills on
    > company time, surf the web, read your E-mail or - Gasp! - upload
    > your vacation digitals to Meijer for printing, all with the
    > company's system. Again, they have this romantic notion that the
    > bandwidth of their Internet service is for their use and that of
    > their customers.
    >
    > Again, have a great day and I hope you friend keeps his job! BTW,
    > in today's world of tough competition from "globalization" and
    > its accompanying ever more onerous corporate restructurings, it
    > is NOT a good time to give an employer ANY excuse you can your
    > butt or discipline you for an infraction of their personnel

    Dude - Quit worrying about everyone else. If he loses his job, ****
    it. He lives, he learns. I really don't see how this is the proper
    place to discuss work ethic when it's a) irrelevant and b) a non-
    technical issue.

    Save the sermon.
    RainKingKC, Aug 14, 2007
  7. Mark

    Gordon Guest

    RainKingKC wrote:

    > Dude - Quit worrying about everyone else. If he loses his job, ****
    > it. He lives, he learns. I really don't see how this is the proper
    > place to discuss work ethic when it's a) irrelevant and b) a non-
    > technical issue.

    And where is there any reference to the fact that this group is for the
    discussion of /technical/ issues?
    Gordon, Aug 14, 2007
  8. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On Aug 14, 9:21 am, RainKingKC <> wrote:
    > On Aug 14, 8:40 am, Mark <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Aug 14, 8:23 am, "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote:

    > > > Mark added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > > > a) if your friend has his music so loud he can't hear a work-
    > > > related E-mail coming in, then he's not doing his job but b) there
    > > > IS another way - it is called dilligence.

    > > > I was a major user of Lotus Notes as both a very powerful E-mail
    > > > client - far, far more than anything Bill Gates has even dreamed of
    > > > - as well as a powerful GUI DBMS. It, too, COULD ding when I got
    > > > mail and did display an icon. I simply checked my mail when I got
    > > > back from meetings, worked fine. But, if I were in my office for
    > > > long periods of time doing other things - work related, I had a
    > > > strong philosophy as both a manager and a technie to do ONLY work-
    > > > related things on the company's PC - I would simply take 30 seconds
    > > > out from what I was doing and check my E-mail. If your friend's job
    > > > depends on getting immediate access to customer's or superior's E-
    > > > mails, then he needs to get focused on that, and less so listening
    > > > to music, especially if using headphones which entirely mask out
    > > > not only PC dings but possibly even his boss stanind outside his
    > > > cubicle.

    > > > --
    > > > HP, aka Jerry

    > > Well I appreciate the verbal spanking you've applied, but you don't
    > > know the situation so I don't see how you can make a comment like
    > > that.

    > > Anyway, your perceived faults having been noted, my original question
    > > still stands.- Hide quoted text -

    > The sound properties in your Control Panel will go far with your
    > friend's issue. Have you friend change the alert whenever he receives
    > an incoming Outlook message by going into the Sounds and Audio Devices
    > in the Control Panel.
    >
    > Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds Tab
    >
    > The the "Program Event" window, scroll down to "New Mail Notification"
    > under the category Windows. Change it to something distinct that he
    > can differentiate between while listening to his music and it should
    > be a non-issue.
    >
    > Advice is free. Verbal spankings go about a dime a dozen. :p Good
    > luck.- Hide quoted text -

    I hadn't thought of changing the notification sound to something more
    distinctive, thanks. I'll have him give that a try.

    And just to clear up the getting fired thing, he IS the boss, so
    that's a non-issue.
    Mark, Aug 14, 2007
  9. Mark

    Gordon Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > And just to clear up the getting fired thing, he IS the boss, so
    > that's a non-issue.

    So why not say that in the first place?
    Gordon, Aug 14, 2007
  10. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On Aug 14, 10:12 am, Gordon <> wrote:
    > Mark wrote:
    >
    > > And just to clear up the getting fired thing, he IS the boss, so
    > > that's a non-issue.

    > So why not say that in the first place?

    Because who he is wasn't the issue. I was trying to get an answer to
    a technical issue and didn't feel I needed to justify why the question
    was asked.
    Mark, Aug 14, 2007
  11. Mark

    Gordon Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > On Aug 14, 10:12 am, Gordon <> wrote:
    >> Mark wrote:
    >>
    >>> And just to clear up the getting fired thing, he IS the boss, so
    >>> that's a non-issue.

    >> So why not say that in the first place?

    > Because who he is wasn't the issue. I was trying to get an answer to
    > a technical issue and didn't feel I needed to justify why the question
    > was asked.

    Well given the posts in this thread I think who he is IS an issue!
    Gordon, Aug 14, 2007
  12. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On Aug 14, 10:24 am, Gordon <> wrote:
    > Mark wrote:

    > >> So why not say that in the first place?

    > > Because who he is wasn't the issue. I was trying to get an answer to
    > > a technical issue and didn't feel I needed to justify why the question
    > > was asked.

    > Well given the posts in this thread I think who he is IS an issue!

    It doesn't matter if he's the Pope, the President or a 10 year old
    kid. The thread was started to try and get an answer to an Outlook
    Express question, period. Listening to music isn't an illegal
    activity so any discussion of the perceived morality or ethics of the
    action has no place here. If you can answer my original question,
    great. If not, there's no need to post.
    Mark, Aug 14, 2007
  13. Mark

    Gordon Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > On Aug 14, 10:24 am, Gordon <> wrote:
    >> Mark wrote:
    >>> Because who he is wasn't the issue. I was trying to get an answer to
    >>> a technical issue and didn't feel I needed to justify why the question
    >>> was asked.

    >> Well given the posts in this thread I think who he is IS an issue!

    > It doesn't matter if he's the Pope, the President or a 10 year old
    > kid. The thread was started to try and get an answer to an Outlook
    > Express question, period. Listening to music isn't an illegal
    > activity so any discussion of the perceived morality or ethics of the
    > action has no place here. If you can answer my original question,
    > great. If not, there's no need to post.

    The answer is, if he is the boss, then it's up to him whether he looks
    at his email or not! And if he loses customers and/or orders through NOT
    looking at his email then he'll learn the best way of all, by being hit
    where it hurts, in his bottom line.
    Gordon, Aug 14, 2007
  14. Mark

    RainKingKC Guest

    On Aug 14, 9:30 am, Gordon <> wrote:
    > RainKingKC wrote:
    >
    > > Dude - Quit worrying about everyone else. If he loses his job, ****
    > > it. He lives, he learns. I really don't see how this is the proper
    > > place to discuss work ethic when it's a) irrelevant and b) a non-
    > > technical issue.

    > And where is there any reference to the fact that this group is for the
    > discussion of /technical/ issues?

    You know what? You're right. 24hoursupport.helpdesk strikes me as a
    fitting place for a boring therapeutic workplace mentoring column,
    too.

    Ass.

    /jaime
    RainKingKC, Aug 14, 2007
  15. Mark

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > A work contact of mine

    .... which turns out to be a boss of some kind, which isn't exactly
    insignificant, but also isn't a make or break issue.

    > likes to listen to music on his pc when he's in
    > the office

    .... which might or not be significant for some employees but not others.
    That is, some job descriptions would not require that the employee be
    able to hear anything going on around them; they could be deaf, for
    that matter, and still be able to perform their job properly. Hearing
    is not necessarily a requirement for some job functions -- but in this
    case it can be 'temporary'. The worker/contact/boss can be hearing
    disabled with his music earplugs/headset on while being able to be
    hearing enabled with the music system off.

    > and doesn't hear the new email *ding* when a new email
    > arrives.

    I have my email dinger disabled. I'm not interested in having a ding
    when newmail arrives.

    > A lot of times when he's busy with paperwork he'll just
    > glance at the computer and doesn't notice the mail icon.

    Of course.

    > Is there a
    > way to make Outlook Express become the active window and pop up over
    > any other open windows when a new email is received?

    Not that I know of, but why are you working on this problem? Has he
    asked you to solve it? Are you frustrated because you email him and he
    doesn't get the message?

    You are probably on the same network in the office. If the problem is
    just limited to your ability to communicate with him, you could send him
    a WinPopUp message instead of an email. WinPopUp has the ability to be
    configured to 'PopUp dialogue on message receipt'.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 14, 2007
  16. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On Aug 14, 11:23 am, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > Mark wrote:
    > > A work contact of mine

    > ... which turns out to be a boss of some kind, which isn't exactly
    > insignificant, but also isn't a make or break issue.
    >
    > > likes to listen to music on his pc when he's in
    > > the office

    > ... which might or not be significant for some employees but not others.
    > That is, some job descriptions would not require that the employee be
    > able to hear anything going on around them; they could be deaf, for
    > that matter, and still be able to perform their job properly. Hearing
    > is not necessarily a requirement for some job functions -- but in this
    > case it can be 'temporary'. The worker/contact/boss can be hearing
    > disabled with his music earplugs/headset on while being able to be
    > hearing enabled with the music system off.
    >
    > > and doesn't hear the new email *ding* when a new email
    > > arrives.

    > I have my email dinger disabled. I'm not interested in having a ding
    > when newmail arrives.
    >
    > > A lot of times when he's busy with paperwork he'll just
    > > glance at the computer and doesn't notice the mail icon.

    > Of course.
    >
    > > Is there a
    > > way to make Outlook Express become the active window and pop up over
    > > any other open windows when a new email is received?

    > Not that I know of, but why are you working on this problem? Has he
    > asked you to solve it? Are you frustrated because you email him and he
    > doesn't get the message?
    >
    > You are probably on the same network in the office. If the problem is
    > just limited to your ability to communicate with him, you could send him
    > a WinPopUp message instead of an email. WinPopUp has the ability to be
    > configured to 'PopUp dialogue on message receipt'.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Mike,

    We're not in the same office but our offices do work closely
    together. We were talking yesterday about another issue completely
    unrelated and this was brought up and he said to let him know if I
    found a way for this to be possible. That's why I was checking on
    it. If it's not possible that's fine, it's not the end of the world
    for either of us. Thanks for your reply.
    Mark, Aug 14, 2007
  17. Mark

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >>> Is there a
    >>> way to make Outlook Express become the active window and pop up over
    >>> any other open windows when a new email is received?

    Not exactly that, but there is a freeware alert app.

    >> You are probably on the same network in the office. If the problem
    >> is just limited to your ability to communicate with him, you could
    >> send him a WinPopUp message instead of an email. WinPopUp has the
    >> ability to be configured to 'PopUp dialogue on message receipt'.

    > We're not in the same office but our offices do work closely
    > together. We were talking yesterday about another issue completely
    > unrelated and this was brought up and he said to let him know if I
    > found a way for this to be possible. That's why I was checking on
    > it. If it's not possible that's fine, it's not the end of the world
    > for either of us.

    It is possible.

    http://www.gold-software.com/download9198.html Outlook Express Mail
    Alert(OEMA) is an email notification program. -- The user can choose the
    specific mailboxes according to his preference; a normal notice will
    include sound, visual alert, launching your email client, etc.- License:
    Freeware

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 14, 2007
  18. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On Aug 14, 12:33 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > Mark wrote:
    > > "Mike Easter"

    > Not exactly that, but there is a freeware alert app.
    >
    > >> You are probably on the same network in the office. If the problem
    > >> is just limited to your ability to communicate with him, you could
    > >> send him a WinPopUp message instead of an email. WinPopUp has the
    > >> ability to be configured to 'PopUp dialogue on message receipt'.

    > > We're not in the same office but our offices do work closely
    > > together. We were talking yesterday about another issue completely
    > > unrelated and this was brought up and he said to let him know if I
    > > found a way for this to be possible. That's why I was checking on
    > > it. If it's not possible that's fine, it's not the end of the world
    > > for either of us.

    > It is possible.
    >
    > http://www.gold-software.com/download9198.html Outlook Express Mail
    > Alert(OEMA) is an email notification program. -- The user can choose the
    > specific mailboxes according to his preference; a normal notice will
    > include sound, visual alert, launching your email client, etc.- License:
    > Freeware
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Mike,

    Thank you very much for the link. I have forwarded it on as it looks
    like it is the exact thing he was talking about.
    Mark, Aug 14, 2007
  19. Mark

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Mark wrote:
    >>> Well given the posts in this thread I think who he is IS an issue!

    >> It doesn't matter if he's the Pope, the President or a 10 year old
    >> kid. The thread was started to try and get an answer to an Outlook
    >> Express question, period. Listening to music isn't an illegal
    >> activity so any discussion of the perceived morality or ethics of the
    >> action has no place here. If you can answer my original question,
    >> great. If not, there's no need to post.
    >>

    > The answer is, if he is the boss, then it's up to him whether he looks at
    > his email or not! And if he loses customers and/or orders through NOT
    > looking at his email then he'll learn the best way of all, by being hit
    > where it hurts, in his bottom line.

    Heh! Agreed. And what kind of company is he running when he's using OE for
    email?

    BTW, I have music on my PC playing at work (the company does permit this
    from CDs or local MP3s, but not Internet streaming because of the bandwidth
    issue), and don't hear my email "ding" either, but no one can ever fault me
    for the speed to which I respond to incoming emails. It's a matter of
    priority. I check the inbox regularly, whether or not I've been "notified"
    that I have new email.
    WhzzKdd, Aug 14, 2007
  20. Mark

    tom Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > A work contact of mine likes to listen to music on his pc when he's in
    > the office and doesn't hear the new email *ding* when a new email
    > arrives. A lot of times when he's busy with paperwork he'll just
    > glance at the computer and doesn't notice the mail icon. Is there a
    > way to make Outlook Express become the active window and pop up over
    > any other open windows when a new email is received?

    I got no soapbox so I'll just try and help you. Have your contact try a wav
    file for new mail announcment. I've used Morticia annoucing "mails in" for
    years and always seem to hear it.

    http://www.ilovewavs.com/Events/GotMail/GotMail.htm

    Adams Family, "Mails In".
    tom, Aug 14, 2007