    ideas what to do? Yes the options is turn on in Outlook.
    --
    doug
    Doug McIntosh, Nov 16, 2005

  2. "Doug McIntosh" <> wrote in message
    news:%...

    > Outlook Express 6 spelling checker does not work. Does anyone have any
    > ideas what to do? Yes the options is turn on in Outlook.
    > --
    > doug

    Doug, are you mutli-booting, or do you have access to a computer running XP
    Pro SP2 with all the updates installed? If so, copy the entire contents of
    Outlook Express from the XP SP2 drive to a folder in XP Pro x64's Program
    Files (x86)\OE-32bit (you can name the OE-32 bit folder anything you
    want, just don't try to copy it to the Outlook Express directory as the
    files will be replaced by the OS right after you attempt to do that.) Now,
    create link to the OE exec file on your desktop, and run the program from
    there. You will see that spell check now works. :)

    Wayne
    P.S. Use at your own risk as this process is not supported, and actually
    discouraged by some.
    Wayne Wastier, Nov 16, 2005

  3. Thats because the Office spell checker is 32-bit and Outlook Express is
    64-bit, you have wait until Office has native 64 bit version. I suggest
    using an alternative such as Mozilla Thunderbird or spell checking your
    e-mail messages in Microsoft Word.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 16, 2005
  4. Doug McIntosh

    John Barnes Guest

    Office beta is coming in a few weeks. Guess we will find out if they work
    together, or will it be like the Intellimouse programmers who don't care
    about the x64 system.

    John Barnes, Nov 16, 2005
  5. Yeah, I read in an issue of PC World back in February that the Office Team
    has native 64-bit version in development. It could very well be true,
    especially with the recent decision to move major products such as Exchange
    12 (which is a part of the Office System) to 64 bit exclusively. I don't see
    how certain apps would benefit from it though. I see, Excel, Access and
    PowerPoint probably benefitting the most.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 16, 2005
  6. You are correct, it doesn't work. Nor will it, given that OE is 64 bit, and
    Office is still 32-bit. A 64 bit application can't call a 32-bit DLL. Once
    we have a 64-bit Office, this should fix the problem.

    I do not recommend trying to bypass this by using the suggestion from Wayne.
    There are good reasons why there isn't a 32-bit version of OE included in
    x64 Edition, and the MS folks on this forum have strongly suggested that
    there could be data integrity issues with the use of 32-bit OE.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 16, 2005
  7. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message

    -snip-.

    > I do not recommend trying to bypass this by using the suggestion from
    > Wayne. There are good reasons why there isn't a 32-bit version of OE
    > included in x64 Edition, and the MS folks on this forum have strongly
    > suggested that there could be data integrity issues with the use of 32-bit
    > OE.
    >

    > --
    > Charlie.

    I read that as well. But, I never had any problems doing this. It may have
    to do with their systems, their anti-virus programs or some such. Never had
    a single issue doing this. Of course, I never click on links in sites to
    use OE to email something. I only email people I know, or businesses that I
    know their email address, and do that directly from OE. I am only
    speculating here, as I wrote, I NEVER had a problem doing this.

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Nov 16, 2005
  8. P.S. Also, if it does cause problems for someone, all they have to do is
    delete the OE-32 folder, and go back to using the 64 bit version of OE, or
    some other program. It won't hurt to try it. :)
    Wayne Wastier, Nov 16, 2005
  9. If trying it corrupts the OE data files, some folks might think that was
    unacceptable. I certainly would.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 16, 2005
  10. Wayne, I'm glad you haven't had problems. But I'd be very careful about
    suggesting this as an alternative, since it did cause data corruption
    problems in beta, which is why 32-bit OE was pulled. And why Darrell was
    very clear that this is a bad idea. Personally, that's good enough for me,
    and I'll happily live without spell checking in OE. It's not all that hard
    to work around.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 16, 2005
  11. I use Outlook anyway.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 16, 2005
  12. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > If trying it corrupts the OE data files, some folks might think that was
    > unacceptable. I certainly would.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.

    I have never seen this. Why would I be exempt? I really need more info on
    this bug. If XP x64 were still in beta, I could show that this bug does NOT
    exist.

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Nov 16, 2005
  13. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > Wayne, I'm glad you haven't had problems. But I'd be very careful about
    > suggesting this as an alternative, since it did cause data corruption
    > problems in beta, which is why 32-bit OE was pulled. And why Darrell was
    > very clear that this is a bad idea. Personally, that's good enough for me,
    > and I'll happily live without spell checking in OE. It's not all that hard
    > to work around.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.

    Charles, would you do me a favor and try this on a test bed system yourself,
    and see if you can repro this bug?

    Thanks,
    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Nov 16, 2005
  14. Don't have one I can toast right now, but should have in a week or two. When
    I do, I'll try it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 16, 2005
  15. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > Don't have one I can toast right now, but should have in a week or two.
    > When I do, I'll try it.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.

    Thanks. I will send you some more data by private email.

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Nov 16, 2005
  16. Thanks to all for the help. I think I'll just use word to spell check and
    wait till new office is out.
    doug

    Doug McIntosh, Nov 16, 2005
  17. That's what I do.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 17, 2005
  18. Doug McIntosh

    James Park Guest

    It's been said the problem occurs if you run the 32-bit and 64-bit versions
    at the same time.

    James Park, Nov 17, 2005
  19. "James Park" <> wrote in message
    > It's been said the problem occurs if you run the 32-bit and 64-bit
    > versions at the same time.

    Yes, that is what I heard too. However, I was unable to duplicate that bug.

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Nov 17, 2005
  20. Hello Wayne,
    I explained this problem to you several times already both in the
    newsgroups and in private email.
    The problem is when both versions of Outlook Express are running at the
    same time. That can and will cause a fault shutting down all instances of
    Outlook Express that are running. That is not a good thing. I have reproed
    this myself, thus the change to only ship 64-bit Outlook Express and to
    throw up the warnings.
    Telling people to do this is not a good solution, they can and will have
    problems.
    You are also running different versions of the dlls, some from XP some from
    Windows Server 2003 so the file versions are not matched or tested in that
    configuration, nor are they likely to be.
    It's just a very bad situation to put someone in or to tell someone to try.
    What may appear to work for a period of time may in fact cause problems at
    some point and may cause some risks to some people. While you may want to
    assume the risks, not every may want to or be aware of all the risks.
    Please don't be telling people to do this. This is a non-supported scenario
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 17, 2005