    blue startup screen and that's it! When I am Synchronizing the news accounts
    it takes forever too, I have 1MB broadband and this has never been a problem
    before with outlook it is just recent. Can anyone please help? Thanks.

    Adam, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Adam

    Pepperoni Guest

    Do you ever cleanup your saved messages? Tools/options/maintenance/cleanup
    now. I usually delete headers and messages (you can also delete just the
    body of the messages) and then compress what's left. Your old messages may
    be just too bulky to handle.

    What's your AV? some don't work well with outlook. My Avast just started
    acting up in Outlook. I've been getting page dump errors with Avast
    running in Outlook, when I try to open a message.

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone! My outlook express is playing up and I don't know why. I
    > have a 2.8 Athlon, 512mb RAM and a 120GB hard drive and I am running win

    XP.

    Pepperoni, Apr 26, 2004

  3. Pepperoni wrote:

    > Do you ever cleanup your saved messages? Tools/options/maintenance/cleanup
    > now. I usually delete headers and messages (you can also delete just the
    > body of the messages) and then compress what's left. Your old messages may
    > be just too bulky to handle.
    >
    > What's your AV? some don't work well with outlook. My Avast just started
    > acting up in Outlook. I've been getting page dump errors with Avast
    > running in Outlook, when I try to open a message.

    Whilst not asked, a good alternative to OE is "Thunderbird" available
    from www.mozilla.org

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Adam

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg <> wrote in news:RDsjc.219$q76.121
    @newsfe1-win:

    > Whilst not asked, a good alternative to OE is "Thunderbird" available
    > from www.mozilla.org

    Thunderbird is a pile of junk. I used to think Netscape 3.x and 4.x had
    good news capabilities, but then I realized that both the mail and news of
    3.x, 4.x, and 5 (Netscape 6/7) are completely horrid. Outlook Express is
    better at news, but only marginally because it doesn't natively support
    yenc and it has issues with beginning posts with stuff that makes it look
    like an attachment. For mail, OE is IMHO complete junk. In a week, I've
    had roughly 45 phone calls from 45 different users who have problems with
    Outlook Express's default configuration. Not to mention all the security
    holes.

    For email, I recommend either Eudora or Pegasus mail, and for news I
    recommend Xnews. For heavy binary downloaders, I say NewsBin Pro or some
    of the other similar programs.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Apr 27, 2004
  5. DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Thunderbird is a pile of junk.

    Ya think? I've never had any major problems with it - I find it's more
    stable than OE is, and has less "missing" posts which is a... feature,
    I've come to expect from OE. What makes you dislike TB so much?

    I use TB for newsgroups as well as e-mail.

    > For email, I recommend either Eudora or Pegasus mail, and for news I
    > recommend Xnews. For heavy binary downloaders, I say NewsBin Pro or some
    > of the other similar programs.

    I tried Eudora but never liked it.

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Apr 27, 2004
  6. Adam

    VWWall Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Thunderbird is a pile of junk. I used to think Netscape 3.x and 4.x had
    > good news capabilities, but then I realized that both the mail and news of
    > 3.x, 4.x, and 5 (Netscape 6/7) are completely horrid. Outlook Express is
    > better at news, but only marginally because it doesn't natively support
    > yenc and it has issues with beginning posts with stuff that makes it look
    > like an attachment. For mail, OE is IMHO complete junk. In a week, I've
    > had roughly 45 phone calls from 45 different users who have problems with
    > Outlook Express's default configuration. Not to mention all the security
    > holes.

    After using all the Netscape varities with reasonable joy, I switched to
    Thunderbird with Firefox as browser. Better than any Netscape. I share
    your view about OE. IE used only for MS updates.

    > For email, I recommend either Eudora or Pegasus mail, and for news I
    > recommend Xnews. For heavy binary downloaders, I say NewsBin Pro or some
    > of the other similar programs.

    I tried X-News--more than I needed. Firefox does a pretty good download
    job. I use Star to get multiple feeds going. I wonder how much that
    improves a typical dial-up download. It's kinda like taking surface
    streets instead of the freeway. I may not be faster, but the scenery's
    better!

    Virg Wall
    --

    It is vain to do with more
    what can be done with fewer.

    VWWall, Apr 27, 2004
  7. Adam

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    VWWall <> wrote in news:ySyjc.15114$e4.8057
    @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > After using all the Netscape varities with reasonable joy, I switched to
    > Thunderbird with Firefox as browser. Better than any Netscape. I share
    > your view about OE. IE used only for MS updates.

    I use Firefox, but for anything other than the most basic email and usenet
    needs Thunderbird is in way over it's head.

    DeMoN LaG, Apr 27, 2004
  8. DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > VWWall <> wrote in news:ySyjc.15114$e4.8057
    > @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >

    >>After using all the Netscape varities with reasonable joy, I switched to
    >>Thunderbird with Firefox as browser. Better than any Netscape. I share
    >>your view about OE. IE used only for MS updates.

    > I use Firefox, but for anything other than the most basic email and usenet
    > needs Thunderbird is in way over it's head.

    do you think?

    how is that so? it's served me for 4 or 5 months with no problems?

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Apr 28, 2004