    use OE on it also, with the same charter email address, I did it the same
    way ,,incoming, pop.charter.net, outgoing, smtp.charter.net,, I can receive
    email , but I can't send, what did I do wrong?,,,TIA

    Barry, Oct 2, 2005

  2. Barry wrote:
    > I have a cable connection with charter on my desktop computer, and when I
    > setup with Outlook Express, my in coming is,,pop.charter.net,, and my out
    > going is ,,,smtp.charter.net, and everything works fine, now here's the
    > question, I have a laptop which has a dialup connection using AOL, I want to
    > use OE on it also, with the same charter email address, I did it the same
    > way ,,incoming, pop.charter.net, outgoing, smtp.charter.net,, I can receive
    > email , but I can't send, what did I do wrong?,,,TIA

    Looks like you stuck a bunch of senseless commas where they're not
    needed.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 2, 2005

  3. Barry

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Barry" <> wrote in news:esJ%e.86$:

    > I have a cable connection with charter on my desktop computer, and
    > when I setup with Outlook Express, my in coming is,,pop.charter.net,,
    > and my out going is ,,,smtp.charter.net, and everything works fine,
    > now here's the question, I have a laptop which has a dialup connection
    > using AOL, I want to use OE on it also, with the same charter email
    > address, I did it the same way ,,incoming, pop.charter.net, outgoing,
    > smtp.charter.net,, I can receive email , but I can't send, what did I
    > do wrong?,,,TIA

    Maybe, the SMTP port that was used and OE was configured for it is not
    (TCP 25 the standard for SMTP outbound port) when it was using the dial-
    up ISP. Now, you're using cable and the ISP is using the standard TCP 25
    SMTP port and OE has not been re-config. Pop3 is TCP port 110 inbound.
    Some ISP's at least EarthLink dial-up uses TCP port 587 for SMTP outbound
    and OE on my lattop has been config to use that port while I am on the
    road using dial-up. It's a shot.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 2, 2005
  4. Barry

    FML Guest

    Barry wrote:
    > I have a cable connection with charter on my desktop computer, and when I
    > setup with Outlook Express, my in coming is,,pop.charter.net,, and my out
    > going is ,,,smtp.charter.net, and everything works fine, now here's the
    > question, I have a laptop which has a dialup connection using AOL, I want to
    > use OE on it also, with the same charter email address, I did it the same
    > way ,,incoming, pop.charter.net, outgoing, smtp.charter.net,, I can receive
    > email , but I can't send, what did I do wrong?,,,TIA

    You are trying to use Charter's SMPT server while you are not on their
    network (you are on AOL's dial up network). Charter doesn't want people
    sending SPAM thru their servers so they only allow outgoing mail from
    their network thru their servers (SMTP relaying is turned off).

    You need to have AOL's smpt server configured as your outgoing server
    when using AOL dial up.

    FML, Oct 2, 2005
  5. Barry

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:35:21 -0500, Barry wrote:

    >I have a cable connection with charter on my desktop computer, and when I
    >setup with Outlook Express, my in coming is,,pop.charter.net,, and my out
    >going is ,,,smtp.charter.net, and everything works fine, now here's the
    >question, I have a laptop which has a dialup connection using AOL, I want to
    >use OE on it also, with the same charter email address, I did it the same
    >way ,,incoming, pop.charter.net, outgoing, smtp.charter.net,, I can receive
    >email , but I can't send, what did I do wrong?,,,TIA

    What's with the extra ,,, you don't need those at the start of the
    server names.

    You forgot about mail relay across ISPs. As an aid against SPAM you
    aren't allowed to send using ISP1email account over ISP2connection.

    It would most likely work if you used the AOL email addy and email
    server info on the laptop.

    What you could try is setup for AOL as the outgoing mail server but
    configure the from / reply fields to the charter settings to the mail
    goes there.
    You may not even be allowed to alter (as the sending addy) that but it's
    worth a try.

    Me

    why?, Oct 2, 2005
  6. Barry

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Barry" wrote in message news:esJ%e.86$

    > I have a cable connection with charter on my desktop computer,
    > and when I setup with Outlook Express, my in coming is,,pop.charter.net,,
    > and my out going is ,,,smtp.charter.net, and everything works fine, now
    > here's the question, I have a laptop which has a dialup connection using
    > AOL, I want to use OE on it also, with the same charter email address, I
    > did it the same way ,,incoming, pop.charter.net, outgoing,
    > smtp.charter.net,,
    > I can receive email , but I can't send, what did I do wrong?,,,TIA

    You receive a SMTP relay blocking error message when you try to send an
    e-mail
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=214402

    Rule of thumb... an ISP will only allow you to use their SMTP server if
    you're using an IP address from their scope of DHCP addresses, i.e. if
    you're dialed-in through that ISP.

    So, when connected via AOL you can collect your email from any number of
    POP3 servers (as you provide username / password credentials for this) but
    you can only use AOL's SMTP server to send messages, not Charter's.

    Dave Lear, Oct 2, 2005
  7. Barry

    Barry Guest

    Thanks Dave, that's what I needed to know,,

    Barry, Oct 3, 2005