    Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Rider
    Rider, Oct 29, 2005

    ?
    Mark Robinson, Oct 29, 2005

  3. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    >> A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted
    >> when he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
    >> password.
    >>
    >> I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
    >> Server.
    >>
    >> I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to
    >> be installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.
    >>
    >> Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?
    >>
    >> Any help greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Rider
    >>

    > ?

    He's not actual;ly using the SQL part (which I might just uninstall) ... so
    its a really basic Outlook Express POP3 setup to Xtra.

    It should just be the username and password. But it says the it is
    incorrect, and yet on webmail it works.
    Rider, Oct 29, 2005
  4. Rider wrote:
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Rider wrote:
    >>
    >>>A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted
    >>>when he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
    >>>password.
    >>>
    >>>I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
    >>>Server.
    >>>
    >>>I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to
    >>>be installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.
    >>>
    >>>Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?
    >>>
    >>>Any help greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Rider
    >>>

    >> ?

    > He's not actual;ly using the SQL part (which I might just uninstall) ... so
    > its a really basic Outlook Express POP3 setup to Xtra.
    >
    > It should just be the username and password. But it says the it is
    > incorrect, and yet on webmail it works.

    Try putting in (whatever that is in reality) instead of just username.
    Mark Robinson, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Rider

    EMB Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Rider wrote:
    >>
    >>>A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted
    >>>when he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
    >>>password.
    >>>
    >>>I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
    >>>Server.
    >>>
    >>>I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to
    >>>be installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.
    >>>
    >>>Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?
    >>>
    >>>Any help greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Rider
    >>>

    >> ?

    > He's not actual;ly using the SQL part (which I might just uninstall) ... so
    > its a really basic Outlook Express POP3 setup to Xtra.
    >
    > It should just be the username and password. But it says the it is
    > incorrect, and yet on webmail it works.

    You sure you've got the server names right? IIRC Xtra's pop is
    pop3.xtra.co.nz

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    >> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    >>> ?

    >> He's not actual;ly using the SQL part (which I might just uninstall) ...
    >> so its a really basic Outlook Express POP3 setup to Xtra.
    >>
    >> It should just be the username and password. But it says the it is
    >> incorrect, and yet on webmail it works.

    > You sure you've got the server names right? IIRC Xtra's pop is
    > pop3.xtra.co.nz
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    Yes, they're correct. I setup multiple internet accounts everyday for
    people. First thing I checked was that I hadn't made a typo.

    Rider
    Rider, Oct 29, 2005
  7. Rider

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <k9A8f.3335$>,
    says...
    > A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted when
    > he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
    > password.
    >
    > I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
    > Server.
    >
    > I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to be
    > installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.
    >
    > Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.

    Is the SBS client firewall installed on the wk.station?

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 29, 2005
  8. Rider

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <k9A8f.3335$>,
    says...
    > A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted when
    > he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
    > password.
    >
    > I can only think that it has something to do with Office 2003 SBE and SQL
    > Server.
    >
    > I've never used SQL before at all, and was surprised to see it needed to be
    > installed for the BUsiness Contact Manager part of Office 2003 SBE.
    >
    > Will it be somehow inteferring with the Pop3 account accessing his email?
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Rider

    Further to my other reply... why is he trying to directly pull email
    anyway?

    The proper way would be to use the POP connector (which you can use of
    course, in conjunction with SMTP email/Exchange Server) - and POP the
    account, and poke the incoming direct to his account.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 29, 2005
  9. Rider

    Mercury Guest

    SQL Server has nothing at all to do with the issue. SQL server has nothing
    to do with what you are trying to achieve - it is a DBMS.You may as well
    blame - take a pick - NTFS file system, OS, NT Backup, Humdity, Wind
    direction,anything else that makes you feel better...

    Error codes help.

    Sounds like a POP config / firewall / network / ISP issue.

    Mercury, Oct 29, 2005
  10. On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:22:25 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted when
    >he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
    >password.

    Have you tried ruling out the e-mail client by trying another such as
    Mozilla Thunderbird with the same username/password on the same
    machine, or perhaps talking directly to the POP3 server at xtra with
    the client's username & password to see if it will authenticate. This
    may help establish if the problem is an authentication issue or
    whether the problem lies deeper in the application or something in the
    TCP/IP layer (for instance, an antivirus program that intercepts
    POP3/SMTP calls that may be malfunctioning, a rogue firewall, etc)

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Oct 29, 2005
  11. Rider

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:22:25 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >A new machine, and the clients username and password are not accepted when
    > >he uses OE. He can access Xtramail using the exact same username and
    > >password.

    > Have you tried ruling out the e-mail client by trying another such as
    > Mozilla Thunderbird with the same username/password on the same
    > machine, or perhaps talking directly to the POP3 server at xtra with
    > the client's username & password to see if it will authenticate. This
    > may help establish if the problem is an authentication issue or
    > whether the problem lies deeper in the application or something in the
    > TCP/IP layer (for instance, an antivirus program that intercepts
    > POP3/SMTP calls that may be malfunctioning, a rogue firewall, etc)

    I'd certainly agree w' KJC here that a:
    telnet pop3.xtra.co.nz 110
    will soon identify whether the client can connect direct to the mail
    server - rather than http (webmail) it.

    And further, bet yer bottom dollar it fails - totally normal in an SBS
    environment.

    Use the POP connector in Exchange.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 29, 2005
  12. On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:57:00 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >I'd certainly agree w' KJC here that a:
    >telnet pop3.xtra.co.nz 110
    >will soon identify whether the client can connect direct to the mail
    >server - rather than http (webmail) it.

    >And further, bet yer bottom dollar it fails - totally normal in an SBS
    >environment.
    >Use the POP connector in Exchange.

    A few people so far have mentioned SBS and POP connectors for exchange
    but the original poster only mentioned a PC with Office 2003 SBE and
    the Business Contact Manager (BCM). This is just something that can be
    installed on XP, so there's nothing to say this might not just be a
    small home/home office box - they may not even be using the Office
    components for e-mail as this thread is called 'Outlook Express' not
    'Outlook'.

    THey may also want to check one more thing - You can't check Xtra's
    POP3 server from a POP compatible mail client if you're connected to
    an ISP that isn't xtra. It will also fail trying to use
    pop3r.xtra.co.nz with SSL if you havn't purchased Xtra's "secure
    remote email". Of course, Xtra is the only ISP I am aware of that
    charge more for accessing their POP server from a different ISP.
    Kristofer Clayton, Oct 30, 2005
  13. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:57:00 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'd certainly agree w' KJC here that a:
    >>telnet pop3.xtra.co.nz 110
    >>will soon identify whether the client can connect direct to the mail
    >>server - rather than http (webmail) it.

    >>And further, bet yer bottom dollar it fails - totally normal in an SBS
    >>environment.
    >>Use the POP connector in Exchange.

    > A few people so far have mentioned SBS and POP connectors for exchange
    > but the original poster only mentioned a PC with Office 2003 SBE and
    > the Business Contact Manager (BCM). This is just something that can be
    > installed on XP, so there's nothing to say this might not just be a
    > small home/home office box - they may not even be using the Office
    > components for e-mail as this thread is called 'Outlook Express' not
    > 'Outlook'.

    You're absolutely right.

    Client just phoned. He'd spoken to Xtra's helpdesk. They told him to put an
    extra '1' on his login name ... and it now works.

    That doesn't make an sense to me ... but there you go.

    Thanks for all the replies.

    Rider
    Rider, Oct 30, 2005