    Windows Messenger icon pops up on my task bar. Is there a way to prevent
    this from opening\happening?

    Thank so much!

    Annie, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Annie

    Jay Guest

    Yes Annie,

    go to Tools- Options and uncheck the box that states "Automatically log
    in to Windows Messenger" and that should solve the problem.

    Try Thunderbird also as it is much better but that is your choice and my
    opinion.

    Jay-Z

    Jay, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Annie

    Richard Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:41:33 GMT Annie wrote:

    > Hi there,

    > Everytime I open Outlook Express, if even just to read newsgroups, my
    > Windows Messenger icon pops up on my task bar. Is there a way to
    > prevent
    > this from opening\happening?

    > Thank so much!

    Rename the folder. If OE can't find the folder, it assumes it isn't there
    and moves on.
    You still have the program, it's just not available to OE or even IE.

    Richard, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Annie

    Annie Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > Yes Annie,
    >
    > go to Tools- Options and uncheck the box that states "Automatically log in
    > to Windows Messenger" and that should solve the problem.
    >
    > Try Thunderbird also as it is much better but that is your choice and my
    > opinion.
    >
    > Jay-Z
    >
    > Annie wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Everytime I open Outlook Express, if even just to read newsgroups, my
    >> Windows Messenger icon pops up on my task bar. Is there a way to prevent
    >> this from opening\happening?
    >>
    >> Thank so much!

    Well, yes, that should have solved the problem, but surprisingly it was
    already unchecked. I was able to move the exe files and rename the
    directory so now it seems to be working. I've heard Thunderbird and
    FireFox are good alternatives but I'm not ready to commit just yet. :)
    Thank you for your reply! It's appreciated...

    --Annie

    Annie, Jan 11, 2005
  5. Annie

    Annie Guest

    > On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:41:33 GMT Annie wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,

    >> Everytime I open Outlook Express, if even just to read newsgroups, my
    >> Windows Messenger icon pops up on my task bar. Is there a way to
    >> prevent
    >> this from opening\happening?

    >> Thank so much!

    > Rename the folder. If OE can't find the folder, it assumes it isn't there
    > and moves on.
    > You still have the program, it's just not available to OE or even IE.

    Thanks for the idea. The renaming seemed to work (after booting into safe
    mode) for me. I renamed the directory AND I moved the exe file to another
    location...to be extra sure. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully, I'll be
    less annoyed now! ;)

    Annie, Jan 11, 2005