Outlook Express VS: Windows Live Mail

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steven, May 4, 2008.

  1. Steven

    Steven Guest

    Microsoft:

    "As a valued customer, we want to provide advanced notice that as of June
    30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be
    able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express. As an alternative, we
    recommend that you download Windows Live Mail"

    Basically meaning by terminating DAV protocol for a crap excuse they attempt
    to force us to use yet more "live" branded crap.

    But is it just me that thinks this "Windows Live Mail" a complete piece of
    fucking shit?

    Just to humour Ms I installed "Windows Live Mail" on a isolated system in
    vmware with full net access and attempted to read mail with it , up on
    actually trying to read anything I actually get a complete blank body for a
    message while I still get the Title/header of the message as if they are
    somehow taunting me with their failures.

    so in other words dump your stable software for accessing hotmail (in my
    case outlook express) and use some live shit and get no access at all , it
    really does make no sense?

    and for additional annoyance the "Windows Live Mail" client has a cheesy
    VISTA style look and primitive interface.

    Ok that's my rant over

    But is anyone else coming to similar conclusions?

    Ps . "As a valued customer" that part really made me laugh

    Steven, May 4, 2008

  2. Steven wrote:

    > Microsoft:
    >
    > "As a valued customer, we want to provide advanced notice that as of June
    > 30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer
    > be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express. As an
    > alternative, we recommend that you download Windows Live Mail"
    >

    > Basically meaning by terminating DAV protocol for a crap excuse they
    > attempt to force us to use yet more "live" branded crap.
    >
    > But is it just me that thinks this "Windows Live Mail" a complete piece of
    > fucking shit?

    As a non-valued linux user, hotwayd/gotmail will become obsolete and two of
    my spamtrap addresses will never get emptied again. I am *so* sad ...

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 4, 2008

  3. Steven

    thanatoid Guest

    "Steven" <> wrote in

    > Microsoft:
    >
    > "As a valued customer, we want to provide advanced notice
    > that as of June 30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV
    > protocol and you will no longer be able to access your
    > Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express. As an alternative, we
    > recommend that you download Windows Live Mail"

    <SNIP>

    > Ok that's my rant over
    >
    > But is anyone else coming to similar conclusions?
    >
    > Ps . "As a valued customer" that part really made me laugh

    You might enjoy reading a rather long thread (it's at least ten
    days now) in the win98.gen_discussion group. There is a person
    there who is ready to KILL!

    As for me, I did have 2 throwaway Hotmail addresses - I even had
    one BEFORE MS bought out HoTMaiL. Since then, /every single
    year/ the service, interface and functionality got worse!

    I have a real POP3 account which I pay $15/year for and which
    gets virtually no spam. Only my friends have the address.

    (Of course, my stupid ISP provides an "email address" as well -
    the last time I bothered logging in was several years ago and
    there were several thousand spams in the inbox!)

    So I needed a new "garbage pail/mail". Enter gmail. I set up an
    account, and configured it for POP3.

    I can now access it with my UNDER 200KB email client called nPOP
    (the latest version does SSL - which gmail requires - just DL'd
    it today)
    - the SSL files ARE about 1 MB, but it's faster than Superman
    and does all anyone but a corporation would need. AND I no
    longer need to fire up Opera just to get to my stupid webmail
    trashcan!

    So **** YOU MS and your stupid HOTmerde!

    --
    Of course, it is no easy matter to be polite; in so far, I mean,
    as it requires us to show great respect for everybody, whereas

    - Arthur Schopenhauer

    thanatoid, May 4, 2008
  4. Steven

    Steven Guest

    whats the alternative? , i would prefer to keep my email addresses as they
    are used actively.

    Steve

    Steven, May 4, 2008
  5. Steven

    whosbest54 Guest

    whosbest54, May 4, 2008
  6. Larry wrote:

    > .. If there was an accepted standard for posting in Usenet, all news
    > clients would be programmed the same and there would not be any
    > prefernces.

    The reason your cursor appears at the top of a new reply is because that
    is the optimum place to begin trimming the quote, before interspersing
    your reply.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 5, 2008
  7. Steven

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 4 May 2008 22:22:02 +0100, "Steven" <>
    wrote:

    >whats the alternative? , i would prefer to keep my email addresses as they
    >are used actively.

    What does your e-mail address have to do with a mail client?

    Evan Platt, May 5, 2008
  8. Evan Platt wrote:

    > "Steven" <> wrote:
    >> whats the alternative? , i would prefer to keep my email addresses as
    >> they are used actively.

    > What does your e-mail address have to do with a mail client?

    Reminds me of posts in my ISP's internal newsgroups where the Webmail
    page was forced in IE as their 'start page' and they didn't know any
    other way to get mail. Probably ex-AOLers...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 5, 2008