    read it. The 'export' and 'import' commands only allow exporting ALL
    messages to Outlook, which I don't have.

    ~RL
    Rustiferion, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Rustiferion

    me Guest

    "Rustiferion" <> wrote in message
    news:fkguf.8797$...
    > Happy New Year, everyone.
    >
    > This has probably been dealt with before, but I missed it, so I'll ask
    > again...
    >
    > When I'm on the road, I download mail to OE6 on a locally available
    > machine. After filtering out the spam ;-( I often have a dozen messages I
    > want to keep, and may need to read at work. When I get home, how an I
    > synchronize the two?
    >
    > I have tried copying the .dbx file to a memory stick and dragging it to my
    > home mailbox folder, even giving it a unique name, but I can't get OE to
    > read it. The 'export' and 'import' commands only allow exporting ALL
    > messages to Outlook, which I don't have.
    >
    > ~RL

    What i do when i am on my travels is use the Webmail service to access my
    emails.I delete the crap that i dont want and leave the ones i want to keep
    on the server.When i get home i download the stored emails to my PC as
    normal.
    this is assuming you have a webmail feature,which most email accounts do.
    me, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Rustiferion

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rustiferion wrote:

    > When I'm on the road, I download mail to OE6 on a locally available
    > machine.

    I'm presuming 'locally available' in this context means a laptop or
    something 'mobile', considering what follows.

    > After filtering out the spam ;-( I often have a dozen
    > messages I want to keep, and may need to read at work. When I get
    > home, how an I synchronize the two?

    I'm presuming what was locally available on the road is now at home and
    networkable to the machine at home/work.

    > I have tried copying the .dbx file to a memory stick and dragging it
    > to my home mailbox folder, even giving it a unique name, but I can't
    > get OE to read it.

    You can do that. You would do that by importing the file using on the
    home machine OE/ File/ Import/ Messages/ select OE6 from the list/ check
    import from an OE store directory/ then use that 'Browse' function to
    navigate to the .dbx file/folder in question which you have saved
    somewhere.

    But there's another easier way to do this; see below.

    > The 'export' and 'import' commands only allow
    > exporting ALL messages to Outlook, which I don't have.

    You are trying to use the export function from the mobile machine I'm
    calling a laptop. Just putting the .dbx somewhere where the home/work
    machine can find it with your help navigating would work just fine.

    But, an even easier way to deal with this for these short little
    excursions out of town would be to configure your mobile machine to not
    delete the mail from the server. Then, when you got back home,
    everything [including the spam] would still be available on your mail
    provider's server.

    That config is here in the account on the mobile machine OE/ Tools/
    Accounts/ Mail tab - select the mail account in question - Properties -
    Advanced tab - check leave a copy of messages on server

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Rustiferion

    Mike Easter Guest

    me wrote:
    > "Rustiferion" <> wrote in message

    >> When I'm on the road, I download mail to OE6 on a locally available
    >> machine.

    > What i do when i am on my travels is use the Webmail service to
    > access my emails.I delete the crap that i dont want and leave the
    > ones i want to keep on the server.When i get home i download the
    > stored emails to my PC as normal.
    > this is assuming you have a webmail feature,which most email accounts
    > do.

    It appears that the OP is HI RR. When I was RR, they didn't have
    webmail, but they do now.

    https://webmail.hawaii.rr.com/

    The webmail is another way to do that, if you don't mind messing with
    webmail interface. Personally I prefer to use my mua's interface.

    The mua also makes the 'integration' of the mail I've saved and sent fit
    into my 'file system' better.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 2, 2006
  5. Rustiferion

    Rustiferion Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Rustiferion wrote:
    >
    >> When I'm on the road, I download mail to OE6 on a locally available
    >> machine.

    > I'm presuming 'locally available' in this context means a laptop or
    > something 'mobile', considering what follows.

    No, unfortunately not. The 'locally available' machine is any computer I
    can get access to for a few hours - in this most recent case, an old Gateway
    desktop at my sis-in-law's house on another island (you're right, I'm on
    Hawaii RR) As I left, I copied all the savable mail to a seperate mail
    folder, and copied that to a USB memory stick.

    The original plan was to bundle all the mail into one email attachment and
    send it to myself just before I left - I did that in Europe last year and it
    worked just fine - but on the last day there, their network went down and I
    couldn't send anything out ;-(

    The Import/Export function on my own OE behaves quite differently than the
    one at the other house for some reason, so I will try your advice about
    letting the Import wizard get it directly from the memory stick. I'll let
    you know if it works or not (later, gotta go...)

    ~RL
    Rustiferion, Jan 3, 2006
  6. Rustiferion

    Rustiferion Guest

    Well, no, that didn't work very well - the Import Utility couldn't find the
    email messages, even tho I got it pointed at the correct folder on the
    removable drive (said there were no email messages OR the file was in use by
    another app - but everything else was shut down...). Any further
    suggestions?

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > You can do that. You would do that by importing the file using on the
    > home machine OE/ File/ Import/ Messages/ select OE6 from the list/ check
    > import from an OE store directory/ then use that 'Browse' function to
    > navigate to the .dbx file/folder in question which you have saved
    > somewhere.
    >
    > But there's another easier way to do this; see below.
    >
    > You are trying to use the export function from the mobile machine I'm
    > calling a laptop. Just putting the .dbx somewhere where the home/work
    > machine can find it with your help navigating would work just fine.
    >
    > But, an even easier way to deal with this for these short little
    > excursions out of town would be to configure your mobile machine to not
    > delete the mail from the server.

    Good advice - for next time... :-(

    Rustiferion, Jan 5, 2006
  7. Rustiferion

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:59:04 +0000, Rustiferion wrote:

    > Well, no, that didn't work very well - the Import Utility couldn't find the
    > email messages, even tho I got it pointed at the correct folder on the
    > removable drive (said there were no email messages OR the file was in use by
    > another app - but everything else was shut down...). Any further
    > suggestions?

    That's usually because the file called Folders.dbx is not in the directory
    you are pointing at. if you need to copy your mail store for importing at
    a future date you must make sure that the file called Folders.dbx is
    included otherwise OE won't think it;s a message store.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.10
    Gordon, Jan 5, 2006
  8. Rustiferion

    PC Guest

    > Well, no, that didn't work very well - the Import Utility couldn't find

    the
    > email messages, even tho I got it pointed at the correct folder on the
    > removable drive (said there were no email messages OR the file was in use

    by
    > another app - but everything else was shut down...). Any further
    > suggestions?
    >
    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > > You can do that. You would do that by importing the file using on the
    > > home machine OE/ File/ Import/ Messages/ select OE6 from the list/ check
    > > import from an OE store directory/ then use that 'Browse' function to
    > > navigate to the .dbx file/folder in question which you have saved
    > > somewhere.
    > >
    > > But there's another easier way to do this; see below.
    > >
    > > You are trying to use the export function from the mobile machine I'm
    > > calling a laptop. Just putting the .dbx somewhere where the home/work
    > > machine can find it with your help navigating would work just fine.
    > >
    > > But, an even easier way to deal with this for these short little
    > > excursions out of town would be to configure your mobile machine to not
    > > delete the mail from the server.
    > >

    > Good advice - for next time... :-(
    >
    > > --
    > > Mike Easter

    Copy the whole OE folder to your Hard drive and remove the Read Only
    attribute.

    Paul.
    PC, Jan 6, 2006