    thought it was "switch identities" but that appears to be for posting in
    newsgroups etc.

    Thanks
    Capt T, Aug 4, 2006

  2. Capt T

    Ingeborg Guest

    Capt T wrote:

    > I have three email addresses for family members and mail arrives for
    > them no problem but how do they send mail showing their address rather
    > than mine?I thought it was "switch identities" but that appears to be
    > for posting in newsgroups etc.

    You can create one account for each address via Tools->Accounts->Mail->Add.
    When you've done that, there will be a 'From:' field in every new mail you
    create, in which you can choose the desired account.
    Ingeborg, Aug 4, 2006

  3. Capt T

    Mike Easter Guest

    Capt T wrote:
    > I have three email addresses for family members and mail arrives for
    > them no problem but how do they send mail showing their address
    > rather than mine?I thought it was "switch identities" but that
    > appears to be for posting in newsgroups etc.

    If 3 different people are going to use one computer, there are several
    different ways to handle the mail with OE. I recommend different
    identities at the least, if not different users with login.

    They could create 3 different users in Windows at the login. Under that
    scenario each user would have only one identity. That is multiple users
    with personalized settings, desktop, etc.

    -- or -- They could create 3 different identities in OE, which should
    be the 'least' of the separation of the 3 personas, so that their
    settings, address book contacts, and mail folders can be individualized.
    That will keep the folders for Inbox, Sent mail, etc segregated. Each
    of the identities would be configured for its mailbox account with the
    provider by user/pass. Naturally when the account was being configured
    it would be configured with the From of the individual. Under that
    scenario each identity has one account with the provider.

    -- or -- It is also possible to only segregate them by accounts, which
    is more typically the method being used when one person has different
    email addresses at a single provider or even different mailboxes at
    different providers. Under that scenario, there is a single identity
    and many accounts.

    In Win Help read users: To enable multiple users to personalize settings

    In OE Help read identities: What are identities?
    & Setting up multiple identities

    also read OE/ Accounts, adding, Each user can create multiple e-mail or
    newsgroup accounts

    There are some real problems with different users using the same
    computer even and especially if some of them are children.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 4, 2006
  4. Capt T

    Capt T Guest

    Many thanks to you both for your time and info.Will now be able to sort
    out..tks
    Capt T, Aug 4, 2006
  5. Capt T

    Mike Easter Guest

    Ingeborg wrote:
    > Capt T wrote:
    >
    >> I have three email addresses for family members and mail arrives for
    >> them no problem but how do they send mail showing their address
    >> rather than mine?I thought it was "switch identities" but that
    >> appears to be for posting in newsgroups etc.

    > You can create one account for each address via
    > Tools->Accounts->Mail->Add. When you've done that, there will be a
    > 'From:' field in every new mail you create, in which you can choose
    > the desired account.

    However, at any given 'time' or moment, there is only *one* default mail
    account. If there is only one identity with multiple accounts, any
    newmail which is initiated with be with the From [and smtp server and
    user/pw] of the default mail account.

    That means that if an 'alternate' persona or account holder wants to
    create a newmail which is configured differently than that of the
    default mail account, the user/identity/persona will have to change the
    default mail account to another, different account to be the 'new' or
    alternate default which corresponds to that account/persona.

    However, replying to one of the 'mixed' identity/persona mails in the
    Inbox has a different result in the From from that just described. If
    this problem is being handled with a single identity with multiple
    accounts, the various accounts' or personas' mail is going to be 'mixed
    up' in the Inbox -- that is the Inbox will carry the different
    accounts/personas in the To:

    When one of those is replied, the From: of the reply mail will
    correspond to what was in the To: So that reply part or function would
    work OK or satisfactorily for different accounts getting different mails
    with different To.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 4, 2006