Outlook Express problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by carole coombs, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    Can you help me.

    I have two email addresses and one of my business ones sometimes take hours
    to reach the person I am sending to or do not arrive at all, although I do
    not get an error message up to advise me of this.
    My 2nd email address I may send an email out and it either does not arrive
    at the other end or when they press the response button to answer my query I
    do not receive the response. Again I do not get any error messages up.

    I have checked the account properties and they are set up okay.

    Now what makes this error strange is that it only occurs with certain emails
    and not others.

    Do you have any idea what could be the problem.

    Regards

    Carole Coombs

    carole coombs, Mar 23, 2007

  2. carole coombs

    Mike Easter Guest

    carole coombs wrote:

    > I have two email addresses and one of my business ones sometimes take
    > hours to reach the person I am sending to or do not arrive at all,
    > although I do not get an error message up to advise me of this.

    You should consider 'hours' to be part of how mail often works and your
    mail providers are not going to work on troubleshooting email which took
    hours to get somewhere.

    The normal situation with your email is that your OE is configured to
    get online and transact with your mail provider's server and transfer
    the mail to that server. Then that server transacts with your
    recipient's mail provider's server which puts the mail into your
    recipient's mailbox from which your recipient can pop it into hir
    mailuser agent such as OE, or s/he can view it on hir provider's
    webmail.

    If you have enabled your OE to have a status bar you can get some clues
    about your OE transacting with your provider's server. You don't know
    anything about the server to server transacting, which can take seconds
    to hours to days if something is having a problem. You also don't know
    whether or not your recipient is sitting on line polling hir provider's
    server every few minutes to see if anything has appeared in the mailbox.
    It is common for the mailuser agent to be configured to check for mail
    just 'periodically'; and example is every 30 minutes.

    It is possible for mail to get 'lost' or dropped on the floor, but that
    is bad mail handling by some servers.

    > My 2nd email address I may send an email out and it either does not
    > arrive at the other end or when they press the response button to
    > answer my query I do not receive the response. Again I do not get
    > any error messages up.

    Troubleshooting lost mail is problematic and it requires some
    understanding of how mail works and almost invariably requires some help
    from the mail provider, which help isn't always easy to get.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 23, 2007

  3. carole coombs

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-23, carole coombs <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can you help me.
    >

    > I have two email addresses and one of my business ones sometimes take hours
    > to reach the person I am sending to or do not arrive at all, although I do
    > not get an error message up to advise me of this.
    > My 2nd email address I may send an email out and it either does not arrive
    > at the other end or when they press the response button to answer my query I
    > do not receive the response. Again I do not get any error messages up.
    >
    > I have checked the account properties and they are set up okay.
    >
    > Now what makes this error strange is that it only occurs with certain emails
    > and not others.
    >
    > Do you have any idea what could be the problem.
    >
    > Regards
    >

    > Carole Coombs

    Email is not instant; messages only get passed from one machine to the
    next when the machine or user asks - if you only check for new messages
    once a week, that's how long it takes.

    If someone's 'inbox' is 'full', they won't get any more emails until they
    clear the ones already there. Most email services, and webmail services,
    have a limit on how much can be kept 'on the server'.

    Don't expect to get any 'error message' if your messages are dropped or
    blocked for any reason. Any such messages you do get are as likely as not
    some sort of spam or scam anyway. No sensible email user permits
    auto-responses to be sent - they can be used by spammers to build lists of
    active email accounts.

    Make sure that your emails don't look like spam. Many email service
    providers and end users now use spam-blocking software that can catch a
    few 'false positives', particularly anything that uses HTML or 'Rich text'
    or has 'too many' links to web sites or attachments. Ask your
    correspondents to put your email addresses in their 'always let me see
    these' lists ("white lists") - and do the same yourself for all the people
    you want to get email from.

    Don't rely on email for anything important or urgent; use other channels
    too, such as telephone, fax, snail-mail, etc.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 23, 2007
  4. carole coombs

    Paul B Guest

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:26:43 -0000, carole coombs wrote:

    > I have two email addresses and one of my business ones sometimes take hours
    > to reach the person I am sending to or do not arrive at all, although I do
    > not get an error message up to advise me of this.
    > My 2nd email address I may send an email out and it either does not arrive
    > at the other end or when they press the response button to answer my query I
    > do not receive the response. Again I do not get any error messages up.
    >
    > I have checked the account properties and they are set up okay.
    >
    > Now what makes this error strange is that it only occurs with certain emails
    > and not others.

    Do some experimentation. Try a different email prog (Thunderbird
    is a good one). If the account you're sending through has a Web
    interface, go there and check that everything's right. Try a
    different account provider to see if it's the server that's the
    problem. Send the same mail to multiple recipients and see if all
    experience delays.

    p.

    Paul B, Mar 23, 2007
  5. carole coombs

    Joe Lee Guest

    "Paul B" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:26:43 -0000, carole coombs wrote:
    >
    >> I have two email addresses and one of my business ones sometimes take
    >> hours
    >> to reach the person I am sending to or do not arrive at all, although I
    >> do
    >> not get an error message up to advise me of this.
    >> My 2nd email address I may send an email out and it either does not
    >> arrive
    >> at the other end or when they press the response button to answer my
    >> query I
    >> do not receive the response. Again I do not get any error messages up.
    >>
    >> I have checked the account properties and they are set up okay.
    >>
    >> Now what makes this error strange is that it only occurs with certain
    >> emails
    >> and not others.

    > Do some experimentation. Try a different email prog (Thunderbird
    > is a good one). If the account you're sending through has a Web
    > interface, go there and check that everything's right. Try a
    > different account provider to see if it's the server that's the
    > problem. Send the same mail to multiple recipients and see if all
    > experience delays.

    Good advice. Also send a few emails to your own email address & see how long
    they take to bounce back to you.

    Joe Lee

    Joe Lee, Mar 24, 2007