Outlook Express problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pappy, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. Pappy

    Pappy Guest

    I've recently encountered a problem with my e-mail and can't figure out
    what to do about it.I normally recieve 4-5 e-mails weekly that have ads
    in them(Office Max...Golf Galaxie...Staples,etc.)These are e-mails that
    I like to get in order to see the available sales they have.Untill
    recently,all I had to do was click on the ad and I was sent to the
    vendors web site to see the ads.As of late, when I click on the ad
    nothing happens.......as if I'm missing a file to direct me to the web
    site.I've compared all my IE and Outlook Express settings to my wife's
    computer settings and they are the same....On her computer I am directed
    to the site as should be.She is running Win Millinium and I am running
    XP Home Edtiton.I have ran checks for viruses,ad-ware and spyware but
    found nothing suspicious.This problem also happens when using news group
    nfo's or if someone suggests going to a web site (I could click on the
    name of the site and go there).Now nothing happens.
    Help or suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.I've
    thought about formatting and re-installing but thats a lot of trouble
    I'd like avoid if possible.
    Oh!I uninstalled Outlook and IE and re-installed but it didn't
    help.

    Thanks

    Pappy
    Pappy, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Pappy wrote:
    > I've recently encountered a problem with my e-mail and can't figure out
    > what to do about it.I normally recieve 4-5 e-mails weekly that have ads
    > in them(Office Max...Golf Galaxie...Staples,etc.)These are e-mails that
    > I like to get in order to see the available sales they have.Untill
    > recently,all I had to do was click on the ad and I was sent to the
    > vendors web site to see the ads.As of late, when I click on the ad
    > nothing happens.......as if I'm missing a file to direct me to the web
    > site.I've compared all my IE and Outlook Express settings to my wife's
    > computer settings and they are the same....On her computer I am directed
    > to the site as should be.She is running Win Millinium and I am running
    > XP Home Edtiton.I have ran checks for viruses,ad-ware and spyware but
    > found nothing suspicious.This problem also happens when using news group
    > nfo's or if someone suggests going to a web site (I could click on the
    > name of the site and go there).Now nothing happens.

    Try this, click Start then Run, type in:
    REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL
    and then press Enter.

    > Oh!I uninstalled Outlook and IE and re-installed but it didn't
    > help.

    You can't really uninstall IE. If the above hint didn't help, look at
    this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=177054
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Pappy

    FML Guest

    Pappy wrote:
    > I've recently encountered a problem with my e-mail and can't figure out
    > what to do about it.I normally recieve 4-5 e-mails weekly that have ads
    > in them(Office Max...Golf Galaxie...Staples,etc.)These are e-mails that
    > I like to get in order to see the available sales they have.Untill
    > recently,all I had to do was click on the ad and I was sent to the
    > vendors web site to see the ads.As of late, when I click on the ad
    > nothing happens.......as if I'm missing a file to direct me to the web
    > site.I've compared all my IE and Outlook Express settings to my wife's
    > computer settings and they are the same....On her computer I am directed
    > to the site as should be.She is running Win Millinium and I am running
    > XP Home Edtiton.I have ran checks for viruses,ad-ware and spyware but
    > found nothing suspicious.This problem also happens when using news group
    > nfo's or if someone suggests going to a web site (I could click on the
    > name of the site and go there).Now nothing happens.
    > Help or suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.I've
    > thought about formatting and re-installing but thats a lot of trouble
    > I'd like avoid if possible.
    > Oh!I uninstalled Outlook and IE and re-installed but it didn't
    > help.
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Pappy

    I have seen this work: Close IE and OE. Click Start -> Run, and then
    type in "REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL" (without the quotes). A dialog box will
    come up and tell you the procedure is completed. Open OE. Links should work.
    FML, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Pappy

    Pappy Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > Pappy wrote:
    >> I've recently encountered a problem with my e-mail and can't figure
    >> out what to do about it.I normally recieve 4-5 e-mails weekly that
    >> have ads in them(Office Max...Golf Galaxie...Staples,etc.)These are
    >> e-mails that I like to get in order to see the available sales they
    >> have.Untill recently,all I had to do was click on the ad and I was
    >> sent to the vendors web site to see the ads.As of late, when I click
    >> on the ad nothing happens.......as if I'm missing a file to direct me
    >> to the web site.I've compared all my IE and Outlook Express settings
    >> to my wife's computer settings and they are the same....On her
    >> computer I am directed to the site as should be.She is running Win
    >> Millinium and I am running XP Home Edtiton.I have ran checks for
    >> viruses,ad-ware and spyware but found nothing suspicious.This problem
    >> also happens when using news group nfo's or if someone suggests going
    >> to a web site (I could click on the name of the site and go
    >> there).Now nothing happens.

    > Try this, click Start then Run, type in:
    > REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL
    > and then press Enter.
    >
    >> Oh!I uninstalled Outlook and IE and re-installed but it
    >> didn't
    >> help.

    > You can't really uninstall IE. If the above hint didn't help, look at
    > this article:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=177054

    I followed your advice and the web site put me on the right track to
    correct the problem.........thanks to you ant to FML for the response.
    It seems I needed to make sure IE 6 was my default browser.
    Pappy, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Pappy

    Ed Guest

    Pappy wrote:

    > I've recently encountered a problem with my e-mail and can't figure
    > out what to do about it.I normally recieve 4-5 e-mails weekly that
    > have ads in them(Office Max...Golf Galaxie...Staples,etc.)These are
    > e-mails that I like to get in order to see the available sales they
    > have.Untill recently,all I had to do was click on the ad and I was
    > sent to the vendors web site to see the ads.As of late, when I click
    > on the ad nothing happens.......as if I'm missing a file to direct me
    > to the web site.I've compared all my IE and Outlook Express settings
    > to my wife's computer settings and they are the same....On her
    > computer I am directed to the site as should be.She is running Win
    > Millinium and I am running XP Home Edtiton.I have ran checks for
    > viruses,ad-ware and spyware but found nothing suspicious.This problem
    > also happens when using news group nfo's or if someone suggests going
    > to a web site (I could click on the name of the site and go
    > there).Now nothing happens. Help or suggestions from anyone
    > would be appreciated.I've thought about formatting and re-installing
    > but thats a lot of trouble I'd like avoid if possible.
    > Oh!I uninstalled Outlook and IE and re-installed but it
    > didn't help.
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Pappy

    Do you have Word set as your default email editor? I did once and had
    similar things happen.

    Ed

    Ed, Sep 16, 2006