    field to display names? I have the latest version of Outlook Express. I had
    to format my HD and reinstall Windows XP Home on my system. Before I
    reinstalled Windows that From field was showing names but now it is not.

    Viper, Feb 11, 2006

  2. Viper

    dadiOH Guest

    Viper wrote:
    > I have news group account set up in Outlook Express and I noticed
    > that the tab ( From ) at the message viewing box is not showing up
    > any names of the people that posts messages. The column is blank. How
    > do I get that From field to display names? I have the latest version
    > of Outlook Express. I had to format my HD and reinstall Windows XP
    > Home on my system. Before I reinstalled Windows that From field was
    > showing names but now it is not.

    Right click the column title bar > columns.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Feb 11, 2006

  3. Viper

    Viper Guest

    The column shows up but there is no names under or any thing under the
    column like there should be.

    Viper, Feb 11, 2006
  4. Viper

    Donald Guest

    "Viper" <> wrote in message
    > The column shows up but there is no names under or any thing under the
    > column like there should be.

    rt click on colum put a check in from

    Donald, Feb 11, 2006
  5. Viper

    Viper Guest

    IT IS CHECKED. You all are not getting what I am saying. The colum is there
    but there is nothing listed ( NO NAMES) or any thing listed below showing
    who posted messages.

    Viper, Feb 11, 2006
  6. Viper

    Mike Easter Guest

    Viper wrote:
    > I have news group account set up in Outlook Express and I noticed
    > that the tab ( From ) at the message viewing box is not showing up
    > any names of the people that posts messages.

    Try removing and replacing the news account, maybe the db is corrupt, OE
    is prone to that.

    OE/ Tools/ Accounts/ News tab - select the news server - click the
    Remove button on the right.

    Exit OE. Open OE. Create a new account with the same section above -
    Add button

    In addition, your news posts can be improved over your style in
    news:8a371$43ee1123$944e0832$ and
    news:bf9b5$43ee1e59$944e0832$ -- in which the former
    shows no citing or attribution and the latter shows fuzzy unclear
    non-contextualized topposting.

    http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html
    news.newusers.questions - Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings

    Citing with proper trimming and in-line contextualizing makes for
    clearer communication.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 11, 2006
  7. Viper

    Viper Guest

    No luck. I removed the account and closed OE and re-created the account and
    still the same problem. How would I go about repairing OE? I have just
    formatted and reinstalled Windows XP and every thing installed just fine. No
    errors. Windows works just fine. Not sure. I did see the from field before I
    re did my system. Is it some thing in the registry I can try or change for
    OE?

    Viper, Feb 11, 2006
  8. Viper

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:ab4b1$43ee7784$944e0832$,
    Viper spewed forth:

    > "Viper" <> wrote in message
    >> I have news group account set up in Outlook Express and I noticed
    >> that the tab ( From ) at the message viewing box is not showing up
    >> any names of the people that posts messages. The column is blank.
    >> How do I get that From field to display names? I have the latest
    >> version of Outlook Express. I had to format my HD and reinstall
    >> Windows XP Home on my system. Before I reinstalled Windows that From
    >> field was showing names but now it is not.

    > No luck. I removed the account and closed OE and re-created the
    > account and still the same problem. How would I go about repairing
    > OE? I have just formatted and reinstalled Windows XP and every thing
    > installed just fine. No errors. Windows works just fine. Not sure. I
    > did see the from field before I re did my system. Is it some thing in
    > the registry I can try or change for OE?

    You can stop posting at the top, to start with. This isn't email.

    Deleting the USER account is not going to have any effect on the DATA file
    your newsgroup posts are stored in. Perhaps you should delete the data store
    files.

    I have a question: is this on NEW posts, or only on posts you already had in
    the system, or on all of them?

    Toolman Tim, Feb 11, 2006
  9. Viper

    Viper Guest

    All of them. I can not tell who or what the user name is, so it is hard to
    follow posts when I am reading them.

    Viper, Feb 12, 2006
  10. Viper

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:87984$43ee8685$944e0832$,
    Viper spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:ab4b1$43ee7784$944e0832$,
    >> Viper spewed forth:
    >>>
    >>> "Viper" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> No luck. I removed the account and closed OE and re-created the
    >>> account and still the same problem. How would I go about repairing
    >>> OE? I have just formatted and reinstalled Windows XP and every thing
    >>> installed just fine. No errors. Windows works just fine. Not sure. I
    >>> did see the from field before I re did my system. Is it some thing
    >>> in the registry I can try or change for OE?
    >>>

    >> You can stop posting at the top, to start with. This isn't email.
    >>
    >> Deleting the USER account is not going to have any effect on the
    >> DATA file your newsgroup posts are stored in. Perhaps you should
    >> delete the data store files.
    >>
    >> I have a question: is this on NEW posts, or only on posts you
    >> already had in the system, or on all of them?
    >>

    > All of them. I can not tell who or what the user name is, so it is
    > hard to follow posts when I am reading them.

    (top posting fixed - AGAIN)

    First, try the basic maintenance tools of OE. Cick on Tools, Options,
    Maintenance tab, Clean Up Now button, then Compact. This will take a while
    if you have lots of messages stored.

    If that doesn't work, try deleting the newsgroup data file (Windows calls it
    a "store folder") The location of that store folder can be found in OE,
    Tools, Options, Maintenance tab. Click on Store Folder, and copy that line
    to your clipboard. Then open a Windows Explorer window, and paste that into
    the address line. (If the address line isn't showing, turn it on by
    right-clicking on the toolbar and selecting the address bar.) Once you're
    seeing the data files, you should be able to tell which is the newsgroup
    file(s) by the name.

    WARNING: deleting the newsgroup .dbx files will delete all downloaded
    messages and data stored in OE!

    Toolman Tim, Feb 12, 2006