    has given up trying to fix this problem. I have put in password, and
    checked save and clicked apply and it just disappears. No one can explain
    why it will NOT retain password. Can anyone help solve this? Thanks

    Joy Timmons, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Joy Timmons

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 02:35:22 GMT, "Joy Timmons" <> wrote:

    >I just reformatted and configured mail. I have two mail accounts. Every
    >time I log into Outlook it requires both passwords. Earthlink tech support
    >has given up trying to fix this problem. I have put in password, and
    >checked save and clicked apply and it just disappears. No one can explain
    >why it will NOT retain password. Can anyone help solve this? Thanks

    It's an error in 2000 & XP that you will have to correct manually
    by digging into the registry. MS has the steps required up on the
    Knowledge Base:

    OLEXP: Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained in Win2K or XP
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=264672

    OL2000: (IMO) Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=259416

    Save Password Check Box Is Unavailable
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=137361

    OLEXP: Outlook Express Does Not Save the Mail Server Logon Password
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216382

    Damaged Password List File Does Not Save Passwords
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=135197

    Unk, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Joy Timmons

    ñKs Guest

    The mail servers are currently down

    ñKs, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Joy Timmons

    Lee Davison Guest

    I had a similar problem with Win 2000, there is a password in the box
    although Im damned if its mine, its about 8 characters too long. Works
    though, and connects to the right address and number so I decided to leave
    it.
    Anyone know why though?

    Lee

    Lee Davison, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Joy Timmons

    Rifleman Guest

    "Lee Davison" <> wrote in message
    > I had a similar problem with Win 2000, there is a password in the box
    > although Im damned if its mine, its about 8 characters too long. Works
    > though, and connects to the right address and number so I decided to leave
    > it.
    > Anyone know why though?
    >
    > Lee

    Both XP and W2K "disguise" the length of the password. It's a security
    thing.

    Rifleman, Feb 11, 2004