Outlook Express Only Spellchecks in French!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Sep 19, 2007.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello,

    I've seen on one of my customer's computers, Outlook Express only able to
    spellcheck in French!

    Like, if you type in, "The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog",
    some of the words will come up as mis-spelled; you then go to Options/Spell
    Check, and the default language is French! You hit the drop-down arrow, and
    French is the only language in the list!

    I've Googled this, and this is a widespread problem. Some folks have been
    able to download and run a third-party patch, but whenever I try to run it,
    I get the "...is not a valid Win32 application" message.

    Tried to run the patch in safe mode, and in safe mode as Administrator, no
    go.

    The rumor is that Microsoft is so busy un-fucking Vista problems that they
    don't have time to un-**** this one.

    Any responses are appreciated.

    Thank you, again,

    smackedass
    smackedass, Sep 19, 2007

  2. smackedass

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 01:55:42 GMT, "smackedass"
    <> wrote:

    >I've seen on one of my customer's computers, Outlook Express only able to
    >spellcheck in French!
    >
    >Like, if you type in, "The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog",
    >some of the words will come up as mis-spelled; you then go to Options/Spell
    >Check, and the default language is French! You hit the drop-down arrow, and
    >French is the only language in the list!

    >Any responses are appreciated.

    Maybe related, maybe not :)
    A simular problem exists with Word's spellcheck.

    The reason --at least with the Word problem-- seems to be, that
    Windows is installed with a 'default language' that differs from
    the desktop language. (Hard to imagine in the US I guess, rather
    common in Europe :)

    You could take a look at
    http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm
    (And in general: Google for: Word Cindy Meister)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Sep 19, 2007

  3. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    smackedass, Sep 19, 2007
  4. smackedass wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've seen on one of my customer's computers, Outlook Express only able
    > to spellcheck in French!
    >
    > Like, if you type in, "The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown
    > dog", some of the words will come up as mis-spelled; you then go to
    > Options/Spell Check, and the default language is French! You hit the
    > drop-down arrow, and French is the only language in the list!
    >
    > I've Googled this, and this is a widespread problem. Some folks have
    > been able to download and run a third-party patch, but whenever I try to
    > run it, I get the "...is not a valid Win32 application" message.
    >
    > Tried to run the patch in safe mode, and in safe mode as Administrator,
    > no go.
    >
    > The rumor is that Microsoft is so busy un-fucking Vista problems that
    > they don't have time to un-**** this one.
    >
    > Any responses are appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you, again,
    >
    > smackedass

    Outlook Express is an accident waiting to happen. Try Mozilla Thunderbird.
    middle_class_warrior, Sep 19, 2007
  5. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    This post might be a bit long, but it is worth a read to fix the
    problem in various ways. I think the last suggestion is probably the
    best.

    Microsoft has an explanation:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/932974/en-us?spid=2578

    You no longer have spell checking capabilities in some languages in
    Outlook Express 6.0 after you install the 2007 Microsoft Office system

    Article ID : 932974
    Last Review : April 24, 2007
    Revision : 1.2

    SUMMARY
    If you install the 2007 Microsoft Office system, you no longer have
    spell checking capabilities in some languages when you use Outlook
    Express 6.0.

    MORE INFORMATION
    When you upgrade an earlier version of Office to a 2007 Office system,
    the old spelling checker files are removed for the following
    languages:
    • English
    • Spanish
    • German

    These files are replaced with newer versions that are included in the
    2007 Office system. The new files are incompatible with Outlook
    Express.>END<

    From what I read, the link below will provide a spell checker similar
    to the Outlook Express spell checker.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Spell_Checker_For_OE/spelloe.html

    Also, uninstalling Office 2007 seems to fix the problem.

    However, if that is not an option, which it probably isn't you can try
    this suggestion from the MS TechNet forums which everyone says works:

    No need to remove Offcie 2007, insert the Office 2003, and when the
    install menu comes up select custom isntallation. uncheck EVERYTHING
    (Outlook, word, etc), and find in one of the trees at the bottom (2nd
    to last if I remember correctly) the Offcie Proofing tools, that
    should be the only item checked to INSTALL IN MY COMPUTER. After
    installing the proofing tools, you'll have english spell checking in
    OE.>END<

    A little more detailed step by step:

    Insert your Office 2003 disc (If AUTORUN does not start, find the
    drive your disc is in and double click SETUP). In the Microsoft Office
    2003 Setup window, uncheck all applications (Word, Excel, Power Point,
    etc.) and check the “Choose advanced customization of applications”
    box. Click Next. Make sure all boxes have a red X except for “Office
    Shared Features” (to mark with a red X left click each box and click
    on the red X in the window that opens). Click the + next to "Office
    Shared Features" to open the list of features. Make sure all boxes
    have a red X except for “Proofing Tools.” Click install. Once it’s
    done, you should not have to restart your computer, all of the
    languages from Office 2003 will be available to you in Outlook
    Express.>END<

    Mister, Sep 20, 2007
  6. Mister wrote:
> [...]
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've seen on one of my customer's computers, Outlook Express only able to
    >> spellcheck in French!
    >>
    >> Like, if you type in, "The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog",
    >> some of the words will come up as mis-spelled; you then go to Options/Spell
    >> Check, and the default language is French! You hit the drop-down arrow, and
    >> French is the only language in the list!
    >>
    >> I've Googled this, and this is a widespread problem. Some folks have been
    >> able to download and run a third-party patch, but whenever I try to run it,
    >> I get the "...is not a valid Win32 application" message.
    >>
    >> Tried to run the patch in safe mode, and in safe mode as Administrator, no
    >> go.
    >>
    >> The rumor is that Microsoft is so busy un-fucking Vista problems that they

    When I last used Outlook Express, MS Office had to be installed to get
    the spell checker to work. It looks like that is still the case.

    I use Mozilla Thunderbird and Open office so I don't have those MS
    problems anymore.
    middle_class_warrior, Sep 21, 2007
  7. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    >When I last used Outlook Express, MS Office had to be installed to get
    >the spell checker to work. It looks like that is still the case.
    >
    >I use Mozilla Thunderbird and Open office so I don't have those MS
    >problems anymore.

    Have you switched to Linux yet?
    Mister, Sep 21, 2007
  8. Mister wrote:
    >> When I last used Outlook Express, MS Office had to be installed to get
    >> the spell checker to work. It looks like that is still the case.
    >>
    >> I use Mozilla Thunderbird and Open office so I don't have those MS
    >> problems anymore.

    > Have you switched to Linux yet?

    I teach IT and have introduced all of my students to Ubuntu Linux. Some
    of the students have even installed on their laptops. I have also used
    Mandrake/Mandriva and Redhat/Fedora. In general I have had fewer
    problems with Linux because viruses are less of a problem.
    middle_class_warrior, Sep 21, 2007
  9. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    Smackedass... any luck?

    Mister, Sep 22, 2007
  10. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    "Mister" <not_a_chance@this_email_address.com> wrote in message
    > Smackedass... any luck?

    No. I can't believe that Microsoft is so arrogant as to postpone a solution
    for this. Yeah, they do mention some third-party solutions, but the one
    that seems to work for everybody else, that is downloadable from this page,
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spelloe.html , keeps giving me a "Not a valid
    Win32 application" message.

    I told my customer, sorry, but I can't do anything for you at this time.
    He's not terribly upset, but still, what the f***...

    smackedass
    smackedass, Sep 22, 2007