Outlook Express Not Responding ???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Anne, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Anne

    Anne Guest

    Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6

    Hi,
    I received an email this morning / no attachment / from a friend. McaFee
    immediately sent me a pop up message saying I was infected with the
    W32.Dumaru.a@mm virus!I Deleted ALL emails, and blocked all senders. No
    email addresses in my address book!
    I immediately downloaded and used the Symantec removal tool, re-booted
    the comp, re-ran the tool as instructed. No infection found!
    Opened Outlook Express, same message popped up from McaFee, so went
    through the whole proceedure again. No infection found, no file, as
    reported by McaFee, on the computer.
    Several searches later, and I am still getting the same popup message
    from McaFee telling me I have an infection. Can't access Outlook Express
    to send mail, and none has come in. Message from OE tells me my pop3
    Accounts are not responding. ??? Rang ISP, no problem there.
    How can I resolve this, anyone know, please?
    Thanks.
    Anne

    Anne, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Anne

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:14:00 +0100, Anne wrote:

    >Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6
    >
    >Hi,
    >I received an email this morning / no attachment / from a friend. McaFee
    >immediately sent me a pop up message saying I was infected with the
    >W32.Dumaru.a@mm virus!I Deleted ALL emails, and blocked all senders. No
    >email addresses in my address book!
    >I immediately downloaded and used the Symantec removal tool, re-booted
    >the comp, re-ran the tool as instructed. No infection found!
    >Opened Outlook Express, same message popped up from McaFee, so went
    >through the whole proceedure again. No infection found, no file, as
    >reported by McaFee, on the computer.
    >Several searches later, and I am still getting the same popup message
    >from McaFee telling me I have an infection. Can't access Outlook Express
    >to send mail, and none has come in. Message from OE tells me my pop3
    >Accounts are not responding. ??? Rang ISP, no problem there.
    >How can I resolve this, anyone know, please?
    >Thanks.
    >Anne

    Did you disable System Restore first?

    http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/worms.html

    --
    I've always wanted to be an executioner, that's why I became a sysadmin.
    -- Jim Howes, nanae

    Mara, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Anne

    Frederic Guest

    It's supposed to say which file is infected. You used the removal tool but
    did you scanned your computer with mcafee?
    dumaru virus replace some files as detailed in the dumaru white paper
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
    you may want to uninstall outlook express and to reinstall it

    --
    Frederic
    MCP, i-Net+, CIWA, A+

    Frederic, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Anne wrote:
    > Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6

    <snip>

    Stupid ****.

    Sir Horatio William Bernhart Wagglesworth III, Esq, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Anne

    Anne Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:14:00 +0100, Anne wrote:
    >
    > >Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6
    > >
    > >Hi,
    > >I received an email this morning / no attachment / from a friend.

    McaFee
    > >immediately sent me a pop up message saying I was infected with the
    > >W32.Dumaru.a@mm virus!I Deleted ALL emails, and blocked all senders.

    No
    > >email addresses in my address book!
    > >I immediately downloaded and used the Symantec removal tool,

    re-booted
    > >the comp, re-ran the tool as instructed. No infection found!
    > >Opened Outlook Express, same message popped up from McaFee, so went
    > >through the whole proceedure again. No infection found, no file, as
    > >reported by McaFee, on the computer.
    > >Several searches later, and I am still getting the same popup message
    > >from McaFee telling me I have an infection. Can't access Outlook

    Express
    > >to send mail, and none has come in. Message from OE tells me my pop3
    > >Accounts are not responding. ??? Rang ISP, no problem there.
    > >How can I resolve this, anyone know, please?
    > >Thanks.
    > >Anne

    > Did you disable System Restore first?
    >
    > http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/worms.html
    >

    > --
    > I've always wanted to be an executioner, that's why I became a

    sysadmin.

    -- Jim Howes, nanae

    Hi Mara, thanks for replying.

    Yes, system restore disabled. Tried to repair IE6 /OE6, no joy. I've
    deleted old email addresses and made new ones. Outlook Express set up
    right, but is still not responding. I agree McAFee isn't the best AV
    Software around, but was on the computer when I got it, and still has a
    few months to run before it expires, I really don't know much about AV
    Software, but, yes, am willing to try a different one. Sophos say no
    infection found. Anne

    Anne, Oct 19, 2003
  6. Anne

    Anne Guest

    Thanks for replying.

    I wouldn't know how to uninstall/reinstall Outlook Express, sorry,
    fairly new user.
    I ran McAFee, and Stinger, no infection found!
    Anne.

    "Frederic" <> wrote in message
    > It's supposed to say which file is infected. You used the removal tool

    but
    > did you scanned your computer with mcafee?
    > dumaru virus replace some files as detailed in the dumaru white paper

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
    ml

    Anne, Oct 19, 2003
  7. Anne

    Blair Guest

    Anne,

    I had a similar problem recently, which was being caused by McAfee Virus
    Scan 'spotting' a mail with an infected attachment, and was preventing it
    from downloading, resulting in messages saying the POP3 server is not
    responding... hopefully this is the case with you, try this.

    This is how I cured it:-

    1. Open the Security Centre
    2. Click on the configure Virus Scan Option
    3. Click on Active Shield Tab
    4. Untick 'Scan e-mail attachments
    5 Click OK

    I found that if I tried saving any suspicious files to a temporary folder,
    McAfee still detected the virus.
    In my case it was also the Dumara virus that was being reported, but when I
    scanned my PC there was no Virus present, and the file reported has having
    the virus also did not exist.

    I hope this helps.

    Kind Regards

    Blair

    Blair, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Anne

    Anne Guest

    "Blair" <> wrote in message
    > Anne,
    >
    > I had a similar problem recently, which was being caused by McAfee

    Virus
    > Scan 'spotting' a mail with an infected attachment, and was preventing

    it
    > from downloading, resulting in messages saying the POP3 server is not
    > responding... hopefully this is the case with you, try this.
    >
    > This is how I cured it:-
    >
    > 1. Open the Security Centre
    > 2. Click on the configure Virus Scan Option
    > 3. Click on Active Shield Tab
    > 4. Untick 'Scan e-mail attachments
    > 5 Click OK
    >
    > I found that if I tried saving any suspicious files to a temporary

    folder,
    > McAfee still detected the virus.
    > In my case it was also the Dumara virus that was being reported, but

    when I
    > scanned my PC there was no Virus present, and the file reported has

    having
    > the virus also did not exist.
    >
    > I hope this helps.
    >
    > Kind Regards
    >
    > Blair
    >
    > "Anne" <> wrote in message
    > > Windows XP home Edition.... IE 6 / OE 6
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > > I received an email this morning / no attachment / from a friend.

    McaFee
    > > immediately sent me a pop up message saying I was infected with the
    > > W32.Dumaru.a@mm virus!I Deleted ALL emails, and blocked all senders.

    No
    > > email addresses in my address book!
    > > I immediately downloaded and used the Symantec removal tool,

    re-booted
    > > the comp, re-ran the tool as instructed. No infection found!
    > > Opened Outlook Express, same message popped up from McaFee, so went
    > > through the whole proceedure again. No infection found, no file, as
    > > reported by McaFee, on the computer.
    > > Several searches later, and I am still getting the same popup

    message
    > > from McaFee telling me I have an infection. Can't access Outlook

    Express
    > > to send mail, and none has come in. Message from OE tells me my pop3
    > > Accounts are not responding. ??? Rang ISP, no problem there.
    > > How can I resolve this, anyone know, please?
    > > Thanks.
    > > Anne

    Thank you Blair, haven't got McAfee scanning emails, in or out. I made
    new email addresses and removed all the old ones and the popup messages
    disappeared.
    I had got a backup disc for XP, but when I tried to use it found it to
    be corrupted, so I now need to make a new one.
    Anne.

    Anne, Oct 20, 2003