Outlook Express Inbox.dbx

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by UnWise One, Jan 25, 2007.

  1. UnWise One

    UnWise One Guest

    "Brian Crochron" <> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > Does anyone out there know of a way for a person to restore missing
    > message
    > in MS Outlook Express (not sure of the version) installed on a system with
    > the Windows Me OS?
    >
    > The INBOX.DBX file has a file size of over 300 MB but all messages from
    > 2005-2007 except the ones from Wed, 24 until present are missing.
    >
    > I'm helping a user and she was adding messages to a blocked senders' list
    > and when she clicked on one of them, her messages started deleting out of
    > the mailbox and then everything froze. When the user restarted Outlook
    > Express, almost all her messages were gone.
    >
    > Any help or advice you give will help and be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help.
    >
    > BEC

    Have a look in the recycle bin for BAK files, if found just RIGHT click
    and select Restore

    Brian Crochron, Jan 25, 2007

  3. UnWise One

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Brian Crochron wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > Does anyone out there know of a way for a person to restore missing
    > message in MS Outlook Express (not sure of the version) installed on
    > a system with the Windows Me OS?
    >
    > The INBOX.DBX file has a file size of over 300 MB but all messages
    > from 2005-2007 except the ones from Wed, 24 until present are missing.
    >
    > I'm helping a user and she was adding messages to a blocked senders'
    > list and when she clicked on one of them, her messages started
    > deleting out of the mailbox and then everything froze. When the user
    > restarted Outlook Express, almost all her messages were gone.
    >
    > Any help or advice you give will help and be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help.
    >
    > BEC

    A quick Google for "Outlook Express Database Repair" found plenty of
    options, such as:

    http://www.topshareware.com/Repair-Tool-for-Outlook-Express-download-36353.htm
    http://www.topshareware.com/OE-Mail-Recovery-download-2948.htm
    http://www.tech-pro.net/outlook-express-repair.html

    Haven't tried tried them - can't speak as to how they work.

    WhzzKdd, Jan 25, 2007
  4. UnWise One

    John E. Carr Guest

    Find the folder containing the inbox.dbx. In this folder there is a file,
    folder.dbx, delete this file. Restart the computer, Windows will remake a
    new folder.dbx file. Open outlook express and the inbox should show all the
    missing emails. Some time you will see two inboxes listed, delete the newer
    one if empty or you could keep both of them.
    Best Wishes, JaCarr

    John E. Carr, Jan 26, 2007