    I have OE 6 with WinXP. When I read messages from my newsgroups then try to
    normally. I compact folders weekly. Any idea why it hangs?

    thanks, Elmira
    Elmira, Oct 25, 2006

  2. Elmira

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:51:14 -0400, "Elmira"
    <newz.e.elmira[REMOVE]@antichef.com> wrote:

    >I have OE 6 with WinXP. When I read messages from my newsgroups then try to
    >normally. I compact folders weekly. Any idea why it hangs?

    Because it's crap?

    Ditch Outhouse. Switch to....

    Anything.
    Evan Platt, Oct 25, 2006

  3. Elmira wrote:

    > I have OE 6 with WinXP.

    Doesn't everyone who has XP? :)

    > When I read messages from my newsgroups then try to go back to the
    > Inbox OE just hangs. After I to force it to close it reopens
    > normally. I compact folders weekly. Any idea why it hangs?

    Be wise. Don't use the same program for both mail and news. OE (and IE)
    is prone to stuffing itself up.

    * 40tude Dialog: http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
    * Xnews: http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    * Agent and Free Agent. http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php
    * MicroPlanet Gravity: http://gravity.tbates.org/. Get Super Gravity, or
    version 2.7.
    * Pan: http://pan.rebelbase.com

    'Course, if you must use the same program, use one of these:

    * Thunderbird - 5.8 MB - mail & news companion to Firefox
    http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/
    * SeaMonkey - 12 MB - browser, mail, news:
    * Mozilla - 11 MB - browser, mail, news:
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 25, 2006
  4. Elmira

    richard Guest

    "Elmira" <newz.e.elmira[REMOVE]@antichef.com> wrote in message
    >I have OE 6 with WinXP. When I read messages from my newsgroups then try
    >to go back to the Inbox OE just hangs. After I to force it to close it
    >reopens normally. I compact folders weekly. Any idea why it hangs?
    >
    > thanks, Elmira

    tools>options>maintenance tab.
    Check the box for "Delete message bodies in newsgroups".
    The main reason OE hangs is the size of the storage folders.
    Why do you want to keep them?
    richard, Oct 25, 2006
  5. Elmira

    ellis_jay Guest

    Elmira wrote:
    > I have OE 6 with WinXP. When I read messages from my newsgroups then
    > try to go back to the Inbox OE just hangs. After I to force it to
    > close it reopens normally. I compact folders weekly. Any idea why it
    > hangs?
    >
    > thanks, Elmira

    Like the other poster told you---compacting is not enough. In the
    maintenance tab click browse and find the folder you want then click delete
    message bodies and headers, compact, ok, then browse to another folder.
    When ya click back to a cleansed folder new messages will be downloaded if
    you so desire. Makle sure you dont browse to a folder you want to save all
    of its contents-such as a draft or a new folder you keep stuff in like a
    saver or joke or read later or subscription folder.

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Oct 25, 2006
  6. On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:52:45 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:51:14 -0400, "Elmira"
    ><newz.e.elmira[REMOVE]@antichef.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have OE 6 with WinXP. When I read messages from my newsgroups then try to
    >>normally. I compact folders weekly. Any idea why it hangs?

    >Because it's crap?
    >
    >Ditch Outhouse. Switch to....
    >
    >Anything.

    Suggestion as to what to use as a replacement that does not seem to be
    bothered by large numbers of folders and saved messages? Additionally,
    it would have to be able to both import the messages along with the
    folders.

    I have looked at Agent and Pegasus.

    Thanks
    Joe

    up for the game, Oct 28, 2006
  7. Elmira

    Jan Ras Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message

    > "Elmira" <newz.e.elmira[REMOVE]@antichef.com> wrote in message
    > >I have OE 6 with WinXP. When I read messages from my newsgroups then try
    > >to go back to the Inbox OE just hangs. After I to force it to close it
    > >reopens normally. I compact folders weekly. Any idea why it hangs?
    > >
    > > thanks, Elmira

    > tools>options>maintenance tab.
    > Check the box for "Delete message bodies in newsgroups".
    > The main reason OE hangs is the size of the storage folders.
    > Why do you want to keep them?

    Are you running a McAfee anti-virus program?
    Are you running ZoneAlarm Pro?
    Are you running them together?
    Jan Ras, Oct 30, 2006