    Is there any way to make it keep the address it was sent to as the return
    address?

    thanks

    Garland, Mar 8, 2006

  2. Garland

    Stickems. Guest

    It was quite an intellectual challenge to understand your query. I take it
    that you are talking about your return address when you reply to the email.
    I don't think that there is a way to vary the return address dependent upon
    the address to which the email that you are replying was sent.

    Stickems., Mar 8, 2006

  3. Correct. No.

    David Matthews, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Garland wrote:

    > I have several email accounts using OE6
    >
    > But when someone emails me to a non-default email address, the return
    > address it automatically chooses is the default email address.

    That would be the Outlook Express way. I guess Mr Gates never had more
    than one email address. ;-)

    > Is there any way to make it keep the address it was sent to as the
    > return address?

    Take a moment to consider this: Use a modern email client.

    Thunderbird, for example, does exactly what you desire. If you have
    several email addresses set up, each has its own set of folders. Inbox
    and so forth. When you receive an email, then select Reply, that
    particular address becomes the 'default' for that reply.

    http://mozilla.org/thunderbird/ and it is free.

    Companion browser, modern, secure:
    http://mozilla.org/firefox/ also free of course.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 8, 2006
  5. Garland

    Garland Guest

    OK

    Thanks

    Garland, Mar 8, 2006
  6. Garland

    Mike Easter Guest

    Garland wrote:
    > I have several email accounts using OE6

    So do I.

    > But when someone emails me to a non-default email address, the return
    > address it automatically chooses is the default email address.

    That is not correct as I understand what you are saying. I'll say it in
    my own way below, which is defnitely different from what you said. For
    some reason you didn't use the word 'reply' in your statement.

    Within a single identity, I have several email accounts, let's call them
    user1, user2, and user3. If I receive a mail addressed to user2 while
    my default account is user1 and I reply to the the mail addressed to
    user2, then the From is going to be user2, not user1.

    If I create a /newmail/, then the From is going to be the default user1,
    but *not* replies.

    > Is there any way to make it keep the address it was sent to as the
    > return address?

    That is the way it currently works -- the address it was sent is the
    From.

    If you reply to this message, please do so by trimming and
    contextualizing your remarks, not by top-posting.

    That is, after hitting reply your cursor will be at the top of the
    message - that's where you begin to trim from. Start trimming after the
    attribution of my post and trim all of the lines to which you aren't
    responding. Then your response directly under my words and after an
    empty line will aid in the clarification and precision of any reply.
    Then trim anything which is left after that to which you are not
    responding. This includes signature and other detritus, since OE
    doesn't autotrim the sig without fixing with QuoteFix.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 8, 2006
  7. Garland

    Mike Easter Guest

    To clarify a little I'll elaborate.

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Within a single identity, I have several email accounts, let's call
    > them user1, user2, and user3.

    Each of those accounts is individually configured in OE/ Tools/
    Accounts/ Mail tab - user1 account has user information in the General
    tab for user1, which includes the email addy for user1 -- whereas each
    of the other accounts similarly has the user information in that section
    for user2 [with email addy for user2] and user3 [with email addy for
    user 3].

    > If I receive a mail addressed to user2
    > while my default account is user1 and I reply to the the mail
    > addressed to user2, then the From is going to be user2, not user1.

    When replying, OE selects the account information which received the
    item, not the default.

    The only way you would have the wrong From address on a reply to a user2
    address would be if you had the 'wrong' user2 informtion in the email
    address section of the General tab for the user2 account.

    > If I create a /newmail/, then the From is going to be the default
    > user1, but *not* replies.

    Newmails will always be from the default account's email address in the
    general tab email address information. If you want to change the From
    of a newmail to something else, you have to either change the default
    account, or you have to change the information in the General tab email
    address section of the default account.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 8, 2006