    So what is it exactly?

    Thanks,
    Tom.

    Tom F, May 8, 2004

  2. Tom F

    dfghjk Guest

    Tom thanks for using the group and asking the question.
    unfortunately there are a few who don't have a life and don't even
    know how to be a human. The best medicine is totally ignoring their
    comments-it isn't worth the keystrokes.

    Of course, when they learned things, know one ever helped them out.
    Then again, who would have wanted to?

    dfghjk, May 8, 2004

  3. Tom F

    trout Guest

    Tom F wrote:

    > Hi there.
    >
    > I was wondering, what exactly is synchronization? Isn't it to
    > download messages from the server? Now, when clicking the server, I
    > see all available newsgroups
    > on the right columns. Each has its own synchronization settings but
    > no matter what's selected, when I click Synchronize Account
    > everything is being updated.
    >
    > So what is it exactly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tom.

    The settings are fairly self-explanatory. For example, if you click
    on Tools; "Synchronize Newsgroup" now, you'd have the choice of
    downloading all messages and headers (that is *everything*- headers and
    message bodies that exist on the news-server for this group) or headers,
    only (that is the list of subject lines you see before you open the
    messages), or 'new' headers only- that is; headers that you have not
    previously downloaded.
    And a word of advice. If someone is an obvious asshole; chances are
    that most people that would answer your question already have the
    asshole filtered-out; and it will just look like you're talking to
    yourself.
    --
    "Please don't feed the trolls."

    trout, May 8, 2004
  4. Tom F

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Tom F" <> wrote in message
    > I read the help file and many more tutorials in addition. Still don't get

    it.
    > And you probably didn't even read the content of my message.
    >
    > This isn't a PC class but still is a place where people ask questions,
    > and other people - nice people - are kind enough to answer those

    questions.
    > I've been doing my best helping others in this and other newsgroups

    because
    > I don't believe in just asking. But when I do ask, I expect people to do

    the same
    > and I would never expect to get a message like yours.
    >
    > What I AM sure of, though, is that this isn't a place for you. And I bet

    many
    > people would agree with me.
    >
    > Oh, and by the way... you're an asshole.

    Don't feed the trolls...I put *that* one in the blocked senders list a long
    time ago.

    Learn a bit more about Usenet, please.
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

    And unless you like spam, munge your email address:
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/spam-faq/

    *BEST* suggestion on munging is replace the ".com" in your email with
    ".invalid" (no quotes, of course).

    Toolman Tim, May 8, 2004
  5. Tom F

    Tom F Guest

    Just wanted to say thank you dfghjk, trout and Jerry (who emailed me).
    Outlook Express help file didn't provide with much information about it.
    I understand it better now, but why does Outlook Express synchronizes
    everything (even what's set to not be synchronized) when I click on a
    newsgroup? (Usually right when I start OE).

    For example, all groups on the left column are marked as read, but when
    clicking on one of them , it and ALL the other groups are being updated.

    And trout, I think I'll take your advice :)

    Thanks again.

    Tom F, May 9, 2004
  6. Tom F

    trout Guest

    Tom F wrote:
    <snip>

    > I understand it better now, but why does Outlook Express synchronize
    > everything (even what's set to not be synchronized) when I click on a
    > newsgroup? (Usually right when I start OE).
    >
    > For example, all groups on the left column are marked as read, but
    > when
    > clicking on one of them , it and ALL the other groups are being
    > updated.

    Hi, Tom. Just in case you're still watching this thread ( I've been
    away for a bit); this sounds like the Synchronization Settings that
    you've set at the Server level. That is; if you (from the folder list)
    click on the the News account (rather than an individual newsgroup), and
    set a synchronisation setting for your subscribed groups.
    Of course, I can only guess; not being able to see what exactly
    you're doing. But it sounds like you've seen the phrase "synchronise
    all" at that point, and not said no.
    --
    "Maybe an area to look at."

    trout, May 18, 2004