    appreciate it. I am entitled to 8 addresses and just trying to set up a
    second one is making me crazy.
    barbara
    bb, Dec 30, 2006

  2. bb

    Rick Merrill Guest

    bb wrote:
    > I have had one email address for a long time; now my husband would like to
    > add his own email address and identity.

    Sure he would ;-)

    > My question is how is the best way
    > to set this up as far as where do I put the folder? Can I still keep any
    > privacy for my own email or is the whole folder and email thing open at the
    > same time for both of us? I have set him up a folder, but it's indented
    > underneath the Inbox for my mail. That doesn't seem right to me, so if I
    > could get some expert advice and counseling on how to best set this up, I'd
    > appreciate it. I am entitled to 8 addresses and just trying to set up a
    > second one is making me crazy.
    > barbara

    How to do it depends on who you use for ISP (internet service provider).

    Most providers allow a customer to have multiple 'users', each with
    their own holding area and individual password.
    Rick Merrill, Dec 30, 2006

  3. bb

    philo Guest

    "bb" <> wrote in message
    > I have had one email address for a long time; now my husband would like to
    > add his own email address and identity. My question is how is the best

    way
    > to set this up as far as where do I put the folder? Can I still keep any
    > privacy for my own email or is the whole folder and email thing open at

    the
    > same time for both of us? I have set him up a folder, but it's indented
    > underneath the Inbox for my mail. That doesn't seem right to me, so if I
    > could get some expert advice and counseling on how to best set this up,

    I'd
    > appreciate it. I am entitled to 8 addresses and just trying to set up a
    > second one is making me crazy.
    > barbara

    It depends on your operating system.

    If you use XP or Win2k you can set up seperate ...password protected
    prifiles

    With win98, though different profiles can be setup...
    there would be no real privacy

    philo, Dec 30, 2006
  4. bb

    Mike Easter Guest

    bb wrote:
    > I have had one email address for a long time; now my husband would
    > like to add his own email address and identity. My question is how
    > is the best way to set this up as far as where do I put the folder?
    > Can I still keep any privacy for my own email or is the whole folder
    > and email thing open at the same time for both of us? I have set him
    > up a folder, but it's indented underneath the Inbox for my mail.
    > That doesn't seem right to me, so if I could get some expert advice
    > and counseling on how to best set this up, I'd appreciate it. I am
    > entitled to 8 addresses and just trying to set up a second one is
    > making me crazy.

    At the very least you should have separate identities in OE.

    OE/ File/ Identities - manage identies or add identity

    An/Each identity can be passworded. There are some advantages to having
    each person have an identity not the Main Identity. That is, the
    default is that you are the Main Identity. Then he would be another
    different new added identity. But, you might should be another
    different added identity than the Main identity. That's a complicated
    subject that is going to confuse right now.

    The business about the mail accounts and password at the provider is
    another issue; some providers prefer to structure everything under a
    Master account which has some different responsibilities than the
    subaccounts.

    Another and completely different strategy in terms of two users using
    the same computer is the business about having different users at the
    operating system level -- where one user logs off and another user logs
    on with a completely different desktop configuration. That strategy has
    some advantages. There are also advantages to the two different users
    having two completely different partitions or harddrives on the same
    machine, so that each user can have whatever level of privacy and
    whatever operating system they like.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 30, 2006
  5. bb

    bb Guest

    Thanks for that good explanation. I use Win XP with earthlink. I think
    I'll just tell him to use hotmail or yahoo so he won't have to open OE and
    wade through my messages or sign in separately. I did add him as an extra
    identity and it still opened w/ my email which is labeled the Main Identity.
    Thanks again.

    bb, Dec 30, 2006
  6. bb

    Mike Easter Guest

    bb wrote:
    > Thanks for that good explanation. I use Win XP with earthlink. I
    > think I'll just tell him to use hotmail or yahoo so he won't have to
    > open OE and wade through my messages or sign in separately.

    I wouldn't want someone else in my mail and files. I would rather
    someone close use my toothbrush or my checkbook/credit card/ than my
    identity.

    > I did
    > add him as an extra identity and it still opened w/ my email which is
    > labeled the Main Identity.

    Which identity OE opens with depends on which identity was working it
    when OE closed, and it is also configurable to open to a particular
    identity depending on circumstances. See OE/ Help/ index - identities.
    Also see the configuration options in manage identities.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 30, 2006
  7. Mike Easter wrote:

    > bb wrote:
    >> Thanks for that good explanation. I use Win XP with earthlink. I
    >> think I'll just tell him to use hotmail or yahoo so he won't have to
    >> open OE and wade through my messages or sign in separately.

    > I wouldn't want someone else in my mail and files. I would rather
    > someone close use my toothbrush or my checkbook/credit card/ than my
    > identity.
    >
    >> I did add him as an extra identity and it still opened w/ my email
    >> which is labeled the Main Identity.

    > Which identity OE opens with depends on which identity was working it
    > when OE closed, and it is also configurable to open to a particular
    > identity depending on circumstances. See OE/ Help/ index -
    > identities. Also see the configuration options in manage identities.

    An answer for this could be to get a second, separate, email client for
    the other person. Realize of course, that when two people use the same
    computer, there is no real privacy. Barbara uses Outhouse Express and
    the hubby uses Thunderbird.

    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 31, 2006
  8. bb

    eager Guest

    "bb" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for that good explanation. I use Win XP with earthlink. I think
    > I'll just tell him to use hotmail or yahoo so he won't have to open OE and
    > wade through my messages or sign in separately. I did add him as an extra
    > identity and it still opened w/ my email which is labeled the Main

    Identity.
    > Thanks again.

    I like the idea of different user accounts -
    However, in your case you might try this:

    Under tools- accounts- properties - servers - do not save the password
    This way, each time you open OE, it will prompt you for a password in order
    to download new messages.
    The draw back is that you have to take care of the old messages :(
    eager, Jan 7, 2007