    TIA
    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Aug 20, 2009

  2. ~BD~

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: Disappearing
    > post - where has it gone?!!', Account: 'msnews.microsoft.com', Server:
    > 'msnews.microsoft.com', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 (629)
    > Article Rejected -- Ill-formed message id
    > '<#KHe#ZSIKHA.1336@TK2MSFTNGP0' in field 'References:'', Port: 119,
    > Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9
    >

    > Any idea what might have prompted such an error?
    >
    > I posted the same message via Google Groups with no problem.
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Dave

    Very funny and ironic.

    Nice one, I liked that.

    Desk Rabbit, Aug 20, 2009

  3. ~BD~

    Mike Easter Guest

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re:

    Disappearing
    > post - where has it gone?!!', Account: 'msnews.microsoft.com', Server:
    > 'msnews.microsoft.com', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 (629)
    > Article Rejected -- Ill-formed message id
    > '<#KHe#ZSIKHA.1336@TK2MSFTNGP0' in field 'References:'', Port: 119,
    > Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9
    >

    > Any idea what might have prompted such an error?

    I only know this much:

    - OE is not a newsreader which performs according to all of the rules
    it should, and it is common for it to 'mishandle' the condition of the
    References line which can cause a message from OE to the server to be
    rejected, usually with the alert 'line too long'

    - the server error 441 error number 0x800CCCA9 part is 'generic' and it
    only means that the server rejected the message which can happen for any
    of a large number of reasons. It can even happen because of OE's
    outbox.dbx being corrupt.

    - I don't know enough about the proper syntax of message-id/s to know
    if - whether or not - there is something about that mid which is
    'b0rken'. It is kinda funny looking because it doesn't have a dotted
    section on the R side of the @ and maybe because of those # chars, but
    I'm not at all sure about what the rules are.

    > I posted the same message via Google Groups with no problem.

    Posting a message via GG and a browser is not at all the same thing as
    posting a message via OE and a newsserver. You could also try to post
    the message via your eternal-september newsserver to see if there is a
    difference between the way the MS newsserver wants to handle the message
    and the way the e-s server does.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 20, 2009
  4. ~BD~

    NormanM Guest

    On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:02:29 +0100, ~BD~ wrote:

    > Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: Disappearing
    > post - where has it gone?!!', Account: 'msnews.microsoft.com', Server:
    > 'msnews.microsoft.com', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 (629)
    > Article Rejected -- Ill-formed message id
    > '<#KHe#ZSIKHA.1336@TK2MSFTNGP0' in field 'References:'', Port: 119,
    > Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9
    >

    > Any idea what might have prompted such an error?
    >
    > I posted the same message via Google Groups with no problem.

    Here is a link to just one of many RFCs, which are used to govern how the
    Internet works (more, or less):

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1036.html

    Read section 2.1.5 "Message ID". Then look at the message ID reported in the
    posting error. There is no Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) in that
    message ID. Whether because MSOE truncated the "References:" header line (as
    it is wont to do when the line gets too long (a bug in MSOE), or because it
    was accepted for posting by a server other than 'msnews.microsoft.com',
    which isn't so strict about adhering to the RFCs, is anybody's guess. I
    don't know. I just know that MSOE is broken in several ways (including a
    tendency to truncate the "Reference:" header line if it is longer than MSOE
    can handle), so I don't use it (much) for NNTP service.

    Per RFC 1036:

    Legal message ID string: '<>
    Illegal message ID string: '<unique@unique>

    FWIW, my news reader of choice, 40tude Dialog, doesn't like it when I enter
    just a simple character string in the custom MID$ field, such as, 'unique'.
    It insists that there is a problem until I enter an FQDN, such as,
    'example.org'. Or, as I do here, 'msnews.aosake.net'.

    --
    Norman
    ~Oh Lord, why have you come

    NormanM, Aug 20, 2009
  5. ~BD~

    chuckcar Guest

    "~BD~" <> wrote in

    > Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: Disappearing
    > post - where has it gone?!!', Account: 'msnews.microsoft.com', Server:
    > 'msnews.microsoft.com', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 (629)
    > Article Rejected -- Ill-formed message id
    > '<#KHe#ZSIKHA.1336@TK2MSFTNGP0' in field 'References:'', Port: 119,
    > Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9
    >

    > Any idea what might have prompted such an error?
    >
    > I posted the same message via Google Groups with no problem.

    So don't f*ck with the message ID.

    With the message id changed in the same way? Hardly possible. GG isn't
    near that sophisticated.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Aug 20, 2009