    feature but does not know how to get it. Can anybody help?

    Thanks

    , Nov 30, 2007

  2. ellis_jay Guest

    wrote:
    > First time user to new groups and I am using Outlook Express. When I
    > get to the part of clicking on the news group to download something, I
    > only get an email full of computer language. Someone told me I should
    > a light blue rubik's cube icon beside the listing in order for me to
    > down load it. My internet provider told me my computer is lacking that
    > feature but does not know how to get it. Can anybody help?
    >
    > Thanks

    Who is your Provider? Normally when clicking on newsgroups-after setting it
    up in tools accounts your newsgroup provider- you then click on tools
    newsgroups. It will download many groups. Then you pick what you want and
    subscribe. Or type in the box a field of interest then choose from the ones
    offered. Subscribe and ok it.

    BEFORE BEFORE BEFORE you post to any group, set up your phony email address
    in tools accounts news tab properties general tab where you place your news
    server and your phony email address so you don't get hacked and tracked and
    spammed

    Then go to tools options security tab and place a check in do not allow
    attachments to be opened

    Then tools options read tab and pick a color in highlight watch
    message...mine is red

    then tools options send tab and put a check in plain text News Sending
    Format

    I don't think I missed anything. Other that issues of posting compliances
    with RFC's. You may want to Google for OEfix for automatic fixing OE for
    usenet which will take care of certain attributions of your post and replies
    to it.... and the like.

    --
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his
    government. ___Edward Abbey

    ellis_jay, Nov 30, 2007

  3. richard Guest

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:11:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    > First time user to new groups and I am using Outlook Express. When I
    > get to the part of clicking on the news group to download something, I
    > only get an email full of computer language. Someone told me I should
    > a light blue rubik's cube icon beside the listing in order for me to
    > down load it. My internet provider told me my computer is lacking that
    > feature but does not know how to get it. Can anybody help?
    >
    > Thanks

    confused at first then I saw you are NOT using OE6 with this post.

    I have no clues what this rubik's cube icon is implying. I have used OE for
    years and never saw it.

    newsgroup messages are not email. I'll assume you were probably in a group
    that had word "binaries" in it right? Several reasons for that actually.
    The reason for the computer language is because you opened part of a
    message and OE does not know what to do with it. Unless I knew exactly
    which message, in which group you clicked open, I can't really say for sure
    what has happened. But it is nothing you did wrong. To newbees, that's you,
    this is totally confusing. But after awhile you learn what's going on.

    If you can, post the first few lines of the message, and the headers. In OE
    press ctr+f3 (IIRC) copy and paste. Just down to the first few lines of the
    message.

    richard, Nov 30, 2007
  4. IzzouReddy Guest

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:59:58 -0600, ellis_jay wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> First time user to new groups and I am using Outlook Express. When I
    >> get to the part of clicking on the news group to download something, I
    >> only get an email full of computer language. Someone told me I should
    >> a light blue rubik's cube icon beside the listing in order for me to
    >> down load it. My internet provider told me my computer is lacking that
    >> feature but does not know how to get it. Can anybody help?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Who is your Provider? Normally when clicking on newsgroups-after setting it
    > up in tools accounts your newsgroup provider- you then click on tools
    > newsgroups. It will download many groups. Then you pick what you want and
    > subscribe. Or type in the box a field of interest then choose from the ones
    > offered. Subscribe and ok it.
    >
    > BEFORE BEFORE BEFORE you post to any group, set up your phony email address
    > in tools accounts news tab properties general tab where you place your news
    > server and your phony email address so you don't get hacked and tracked and
    > spammed
    >
    > Then go to tools options security tab and place a check in do not allow
    > attachments to be opened
    >
    > Then tools options read tab and pick a color in highlight watch
    > message...mine is red
    >
    > then tools options send tab and put a check in plain text News Sending
    > Format
    >
    > I don't think I missed anything. Other that issues of posting compliances
    > with RFC's. You may want to Google for OEfix for automatic fixing OE for
    > usenet which will take care of certain attributions of your post and replies
    > to it.... and the like.

    <Piggybacked, as I don't have the original post>

    The OP might need to look up "Combine & Decode" in the Help files for OE
    or else get a REAL newsreader. Outlook Express doesn't perform well as a
    newsreader for binaries.

    IzzouReddy, Nov 30, 2007
  5. Daave Guest

    wrote:
    > First time user to new groups and I am using Outlook Express. When I
    > get to the part of clicking on the news group to download something, I
    > only get an email full of computer language. Someone told me I should
    > a light blue rubik's cube icon beside the listing in order for me to
    > down load it.

    That would be Xnews, not Outlook Express.

    This newsgroup would be a good place to start:

    news.software.readers

    Daave, Nov 30, 2007