    "Options" was of any help.

    Can I set a different browser for opening web links in Outlook Express, or
    do I have to use a different E-mail program for this purpose?
    Jeff, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Jeff

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > I've designated MyIE 2/Maxthon as my default web browser.

    Presumably you mean that when you launched that app and it asked if you
    wanted it as the default browser you said 'yes'.

    However, as I used to sometimes say, "That's not only all."

    > But if I'm
    > reading news on Outlook Express 6.00.2800 and click on a link to a
    > web page, it opens up in Internet Explorer 6.00.2800 instead of MyIE
    > 2. I looked through the various options on Outlook Express, and saw
    > no way to designate a default web browser in its settings. Nothing I
    > saw under "Tools" -> "Options" was of any help.

    Correct.

    > Can I set a different browser for opening web links in Outlook
    > Express, or do I have to use a different E-mail program for this
    > purpose?

    There's a registry situation; but you should be able to stay out of
    there. Try accessing the properties to IE. You can do that by opening
    it and using Tools/ Internet Options -- or you can R click its desktop
    icon and choose Properties -- or you can use CP/ Internet Options...

    ..... and then in the Programs tab near the bottom is 'Internet Explorer
    should check to see whether it is the default browser'

    I think that if you uncheck that, then things will get themselves
    straightened out.

    If that doesn't get it, then you should read all this about the registry
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/nopromptdefault.htm

    It is from a blurb about turning IE back into the default browser, but
    it is informative:

    Internet Explorer (IExplore.exe) checks the registry value
    HKCR\http\shell\open\command 's (default) at startup. If the option
    "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default
    browser" is enabled AND if the (default) command is set to anything
    other other than iexplore.exe, then only IE displays the prompt.
    Otherwise, Internet Explorer ignores the "default browser" check. This
    is what I've observed.

    [ME: plus, there's more after that at the site above]

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 22, 2004

  3. Jeff

    dadiOH Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > I've designated MyIE 2/Maxthon as my default web browser. But if I'm
    > reading news on Outlook Express 6.00.2800 and click on a link to a
    > web page, it opens up in Internet Explorer 6.00.2800 instead of MyIE
    > 2. I looked through the various options on Outlook Express, and saw
    > no way to designate a default web browser in its settings. Nothing I
    > saw under "Tools" -> "Options" was of any help.
    >
    > Can I set a different browser for opening web links in Outlook
    > Express, or do I have to use a different E-mail program for this
    > purpose?

    Here's a copy & paste. Works....

    Can't click a link from Outlook Express and automatically Open Internet
    Explorer

    Open Windows Explorer
    From the View menu, select Folder Options then File Types.

    Check the values for both...
    URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol
    Click Edit then open then Edit again.
    The values should read:

    Application:
    "C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
    (Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct)

    DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

    First Box:
    "%1",,-1,0,,,,

    Second Box:
    IExplore

    Third Box should be blank.

    Fourth Box:
    WWW_OpenURL
    Apply any changes.
    ____________________________

    If you get a blank page...

    Click Start, Run. In the run box, type "regsvr32 urlmon.dll" without the
    quotes and press Enter. Then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools,
    Internet
    Options, "Programs" tab, and click on "Reset Web Settings...", click
    "Apply", "OK"

    Click Tools, Internet Options or Start, Settings, Control Panel,
    Internet Options, under Tempory Internet Files, click "Delete Files",
    check "delete
    all offline content", click "OK", "OK", Reboot Windows to refresh the
    OS.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    dadiOH, Dec 22, 2004
  4. Jeff

    dadiOH Guest

    Re: Outlook Express 6.00/Choice of Default Browser_MORE

    dadiOH wrote:

    Sorry, hit "Send" before editing the copy and paste...

    > Here's a copy & paste. Works....
    >
    > Can't click a link from Outlook Express and automatically Open
    > Internet Explorer
    >
    > Open Windows Explorer
    > From the View menu, select Folder Options then File Types.
    >
    > Check the values for both...
    > URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol
    > Click Edit then open then Edit again.
    > The values should read:
    >
    > Application:

    > "C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
    > (Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct)
    >
    > DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:
    >
    > First Box:
    > "%1",,-1,0,,,,
    >
    > Second Box:
    > IExplore
    >
    > Third Box should be blank.
    >
    > Fourth Box:
    > WWW_OpenURL

    _____________________

    Now make a New action. For "Action" just use whatever you want...maybe
    the name of your app. Use Browse in the New Action window to browse to
    the app you want to use.

    Check "Use DDE" and fill out the entries the same as they were for IE
    *except* use your app's name. exe for the application rather than IE.

    OK your way out

    Select your new action and press "Set Default". Press OK, OK.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    dadiOH, Dec 22, 2004
  5. Jeff

    °Mike° Guest

    It's not in the settings for Outlook Express, it's in
    the options of MyIE2 -- set it as the default browser.

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:53:03 GMT, in
    <zH2yd.613241$D%.162779@attbi_s51>
    Jeff scrawled:

    >I've designated MyIE 2/Maxthon as my default web browser. But if I'm
    >reading news on Outlook Express 6.00.2800 and click on a link to a web page,
    >it opens up in Internet Explorer 6.00.2800 instead of MyIE 2. I looked
    >through the various options on Outlook Express, and saw no way to designate
    >a default web browser in its settings. Nothing I saw under "Tools" ->
    >"Options" was of any help.
    >
    >Can I set a different browser for opening web links in Outlook Express, or
    >do I have to use a different E-mail program for this purpose?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2004