Outlook connection problem thru VPN over DSL.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by gregb369, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. gregb369

    gregb369 Guest

    Here's the deal, 2 computers:

    Computer A: Is remote using Bellsouth Fast Access connecting Outlook through
    VPN to an Windows 2000 Server with Exchange 5.5. This computer has no
    connection problem.

    Computer B: Also remote using Bellsouth Fast Access connecting Outlook
    through VPN to the same server. This user is about 10 miles down the road
    from Computer A. If you connect it's VPN, and open Outlook properties and
    try to "check name" (you can use the same mailbox name that is used on
    Computer A), it just sits there. It will not check name. Then of course,
    if you try to just go into Outlook, it just sits on an hour glass. While
    the VPN is connected, I can ping the server by name and get a reply.

    If it is going through VPN, then port blocking (ie. 135) by the isp shouldn'
    t be the issue. Even if it was, it's the same isp for both machines. I
    couldn't imagine that Bellsouth would port block in one area of town and not
    in the next area over (but I could be wrong). Either way, it's going
    through VPN anyway. I did try connecting a VPN from Computer B to a
    completely different server (my own Windows 2000 Server with Exchange 2000)
    and Outlook checked name and performed fine.

    If the problem is:

    The computer, then why would my own vpn and mailbox work on Computer B?

    The isp, then why would it work at Computer A and not at Computer B?

    The server, then why does Computer A going to this server not have a
    problem?

    The mailbox, then why would this mailbox open fine on Computer A?

    I just don't know what I am missing here. Do you?

    Thanks,

    Greg

    gregb369, Oct 29, 2003